1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Difference between PW 2000 and 800 Plus?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 28410, Jul 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 28410

28410 TS Member

What is the difference between the PW Platinum 2000 and 800 plus? Thanks for info!

2. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I am sure those much more astute than myself will answer this, but my basic understanding is 1) ease of changing gauges easier on 800+, 2000 can be done but takes much longer 2) 800+ has the old fashion "click" when the unit indexes from the gear. Might be more, but those were two that I believed were different.

I probably will never load anything but 12 GA., but went 800+ just for the click sound. Probably something to do with lusting for an old 800B or C when I could not afford a Mec unit.

The shell feeder (a much needed accessory) should fit either unit, and to look at them, they are incredibly similar.

3. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

I'll have to agree with Didreckson. My shell "feeder" sure is indispensable. I do, however, have to reciprocate occasionally by helping with the dishes and a little vacuuming. ;>) .....Rick

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have the 2000 - great machine. I believe the difference is not being able to switch shell ga easily. Maybe I should invest in the shell feeder

5. nipper

nipper TS Member

the auto shell feeder is money very well spent,insert wad,pull handle

bill

6. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

I think Whiz said the turret is made from a different material, other than that see above post. If we are wrong he will be along with the right answer.

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

PW introduced the 2000 as an improvement on the 800. They brought back the 800 to have a machine with quick guage change capability like Spolar advertises. The turret on the 2000 is a material called "grivory" which PW claims is stronger than aluminum which is the turret on the 800.

8. Jim Cunningham

Jim Cunningham TS Member

The P2000 was introduced in 2000, surprise! it is an updated 900 (More bells and whistles/conveniences. The 800+ was introduced a few years later as was said above so that the gauge change could be accomplished by simply changing the tool head rather than the individual tools.

The only real difference is the method used to index (Turn) the cylinder. The 900/2000 system uses a center cam shaft that has no moving parts and no adjustments. It is a bit smoother and offers a better "Feel" of the machine which is why the company went away from the 800 system. The 800 system began with the first of the 800 series, the B. It uses a timing pin to hold a pad in place against the star gear to turn it and it in turn turns the main gear to which the cylinder is attached. The click/snap that is heard with that system is the disengaging and reengaging of the Index pin at the back of the machine. The advantage of the 800 series is the robust nature of the index system that lends itself to a Power unit, other than your hand. It can better take the abuse of a power unit than the 2000.

As to the ability to change gauges, I have been doing it for 30 years with both systems and it takes about 20 minutes either way. The 800+ tooling costs $219.00 and the 900/2000 type cost $140.00, the adjustments for the individual tools are on each tool and most (All but one; the wad ram) locked by a locking nut. So if the tool is properly adjusted when in the machine and you remove it; without playing with it, when it goes back in it should still be correct.

The 800+ is an 800 Convertible with upgrades, the Convertible can be upgraded to the + easily. All it takes is money.

My personal opinion is, for hand operation I'd want the 2000, for a power unit the 800, any of them. The gauge change is a wash for ease of doing, the 800+ system is more expensive for convince, I'm to cheap for it.

I at the Grand now sitting here at site 52 waiting for the tents to go up so I can move in. If your going to be here drop by, I have all the P/W equipment here ready to go.

Jim Cunningham

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.