1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Difference between Federal/White Flyer targets

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Sabra, Sep 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sabra

Sabra TS Member

I have heard several different comments on the difference between these 2 types of targets. I have not shot in several years, and I never paid any attention when I did shoot.
    Thanks for your input.
    Sabra

2. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

IMO, a target is a target and as long as the same brand of target is thrown on all traps at a shoot, it is fair for all. Many shooters feel the Federal target is more difficult to break than the White Flyer target. A shooter has to put shot on a target in order to break it, regardless of the brand of target. With Remington being basically out of the target business, we trapshooters should consider ourselves lucky to have targets to shoot at, regardless of the brand. I think the visability of the target is more important than the brand. Break 'em all! Tom Ruble

3. Sabra

Sabra TS Member

Tom-
    Thank you.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I find it discouraging when a target is hit hard enough to move it to the side and still not break a visible piece from it. I much prefer White Flyer targets over Federal Champion targets.

Pat Ireland

5. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

they used to throw a metal target every now and then, at my gun club. it was fun back in those days.

6. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

Mr. Ireland, Is that your way of saying that you won't shoot at a club if they are throwing Federal Champion targets? In my case, I use 7 1/2 shot instead of 9s when I expect to be shooting at Federal targets. Break 'em all! Tom Ruble

7. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I can relate to Mr. Irelands comments! Remington had the same issue with their new and improved STS targets at I believe the 2002 Grand American before they switched to White Flyer. A friend and I walked the trap line and picked up several targets off of the ground with with a minimum of 5 holes in them. The max was 9 without breaking. AFTER IT HIT THE GROUND let alone in the air!! How much more shot does one need on target?

Jeff

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Tom - I will and have shot clubs that threw Federal targets, but I would be happier if they threw White Flyer.

Pat Ireland

9. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

Pat, I shoot mostly in southern Michigan and in northern Indiana. From time to time, the small clubs have had difficulty finding targets and have to rely on Federal Champions to even have a target to throw. I have learned to live with them and not complain as have most of the rest of the shooters in our area. I've found life is more enjoyable without looking for things to moan, groan, and whine about when I know the clubs would throw the White Flyers if they could. The new White Flyer plant in Indiana is helping to improve our target situation now. I suppose if I was chasing AA or All State points, it might make a difference, but, as things stand now, I try to break whatever target the clubs throw. Break 'em all! Tom Ruble

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Jeff, I think that was in 99 they threw those tough Rem rocks. I managed to hit a few hard enough to change the flight angle by as much as 4 feet and still not break a piece!

Other than White Flyer pitch clays, I'll load chilled shot at 2-3/4 velocity, it does a better job on hard to break clays. Hap

11. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

My club back in the 80's bought some Remington targets and I also shot some of these same targets at a club in Nebraska.

I have never in my life seen a target that turned to absolute BLACK SMOKE like these (like black ink in water). They reminded me of the targets used in the movie/video by D. Lee Braun, "Trapshooting with the Remington Pros."

Never saw this happen ever again.

Whiz

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

From about 1980 to the late 1990's, Remington made the very best target. These targets were designed to be thrown from hand set traps. Around 1998, Remington made some composition changes to make their target preform better from automatic traps. After that change, White Flyer targets and Remington targets were similar.

Then a few years ago Remington decided that their exclusive contract with a pitch supplier should not be renewed. White Flyer immediately jumped in and did sign an exclusive contract with the pitch supplier.

Now White Flyer has problems meeting demand and Remington is essentially out of the target business.

Pat Ireland

13. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

What about Lawry targets? We shoot them and have NO complaints!! Cheaper than the others too!

14. Sabra

Sabra TS Member

I am greatful for all the imput. But I have found that targets are targets. And being a trapshooter myself, I know that alot of shooters look for excuses when they are having a BAD day. I have had my fair share of excuses, trust me!

Frank C. Talk to me about Lawry targets...

15. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Except for an occasional paint problem, Lawry targets are good, much improved from what shooters may remember from 10 - 15 years back.

I see them up and down the east coast.

16. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

We ordered a trailer load of Lawry targets last fall, have not had any paint issues, in fact I am quite sure that nobody even realize that we stopped shooting the White Flyers, we paid about a dollar a case less than White Flyers last fall, gas prices have likely impacted current pricing....Google Lawry clay targets....they are located in Ontario Canada

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have not shot Lawry targets for several years. I hope they have improved. Several years ago they were a rather poor target.

Pat Ireland

18. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Pat, They are an excellent target, as good as any out there and Rick Lawry is a fine gentlemean to do business with. I do not know how their present pricing compares with WF.

Frank C. What club are you throughing them at?
    Shoot well and often, Bob

19. Sabra

Sabra TS Member

Well I don't know if we are willing to go to Canada or the east coast for the Lawrys. I live in IN. and we can either drive to Richmond and pick up Federals or have a gentleman out of Michigan bring us the White flyers. Those are our options at this time.And with the Gas prices here it seems that driving to Richmond is the best option at the moment.

20. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Sabra, how many skids do you buy at a time?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
champion clay targets versus white flier

champion vs white flyer