1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Difference between choke tube brands?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by miketrap, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miketrap

miketrap TS Member

I want to get extended Invector Plus choke tubes for my Browning, but this question should apply to other guns just as well. I can get tubes from the gun manufacturer, Browning, or I can buy tubes made by other popular makers like Briley, Carlson, and others. So which do I choose? Is there really any significant difference between these brands, or are they all about equal in quality and performance? Thanks for your thoughts!

2. howie

howie Member

I agree with timb99. The true is on the paper.

Just a small point of fact. Browning extended chokes tubes -- Midas, et al. -- are made by Briley. They are excellent products. So are Wright's, Trulock, ... It all depends on what works best for you, what you like, and how much you're willing to pay.

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I like the Midas grades chokes that you can get from Briley. I use them in both my brownings. I have every size made a several of them in Sk,IC,LM for sporting clays as well. Not a bum choke in the lot. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I believe the proper installation of the choke tube is more important than the brand of tube. It requires skill to thread and tap two thin walled tubes and get them to line up perfectly.

I once bought a new gun that has three factory choke tubes. Each tube resulted in a very different point of impact.

Pat Ireland

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Most tubes are based upon the SAAMI average bore diameter for a specific gauge. They are meant to fit ALL guns of the same manufacture and thus are a compromise to some degree or another.

Certain manufacturers make tubes for specific bore diameters (Seminole, Angleport come to mind) rather than an average guesstimate.

Further, the constriction of the tubes themselves is better measured as a measurement of constriction in fractional inches (.005, .010, etc.) relative to the bore diameter rather than 'full,' 'IC,' etc.

This being said a trip to the pattern board is a must as well - once you get them you need to know how they shoot.

Your best bet is to find someone with a bore diameter gauge to get a TRUE measure of your gun's bore (some guns actually have this stamped on the side of the barrels - e.g., Beretta - stamped in 'mm' not inches). Then you can decide if 'custom' tubes or 'regular' tubes are right for you.

Surprisingly, the cost for the 'custom' tubes is not far off from regular ones. The manufacturers know the range they need to service for a specific gauge and tend to manufacture for the whole range, hence they have them in stock and cost is not too bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

difference between carlson and briley choke tubes

difference between regular and extended choke

differencebetweentrapandchoketubes