1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Difference between an 1100 and a 11-87?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Beretta Young Gun, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

greetings, I am looking for a Remington 1100 trap in fairly good condition, however i have a gentleman who is offering me an 11-87 premier trap in what looks like great condition. The problem is I dont know anything about the 11-87. what are the main differences between these guns? will there parts interchange? what is a fair market value of an 11-87 VS. and 100 in the same conditon? any input would be greatly appreciated. BYG

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    For all practical purposes on the trap line, there is no difference.

Some say the 1100 has slightly softer recoil. I'm of the opinion the 1187 has slightly softer recoil. It's so close it's really a moot point.

The main difference is that the 1187 has a gas compensation system that allows everything from light 2-3/4" shells to heavy 3" loads like buckshot and slugs to be fired from the same barrel. For the 1100 you'd need two different barrels.

And from a trap standpoint, that's also a moot point, because the 1187 trap barrel is a non-compensated 2-3/4" only barrel.

There are minor parts differences. Extractors are wider on 1187s and late model 1100s. The late model 1100s share the 1187 forend and barrel retention system. The 1100 uses a carbon steel magazine tube, the 1187 has a stainless steel mag tube.

If the 1187 you're being offered is a genuine Premier Trap, that means it should have a 30" trap barrel. These barrel have a step rib. It's slightly higher than the standard ribs. There is a slight step on it towards the rear where the slope and the top meet. The important part of this barrel is that it is factory backbored. A normal bored is about .727". This barrel increases to approximately .745", then steps back down just before the choke tubes. Because of this, a special set of choke tubes were issued with this gun, taking into account the pre-existing .018" step down in the barrel. These choke tubes are marked TRAP FULL, TRAP EXTRA FULL and TRAP SUPER FULL. The purpose of this barrel is to give better patterns. I have this barrel and it does as claimed. With cheap soft shot it gave better patterns than a regular barrel, because it distorted the shot less in the choke tube. It has a slightly better pattern with premium shot, because that shot is harder and resists distorting more.

If this 1187 is indeed marked PREMIER TRAP and the barrel meets the above description and it has the three choke tubes per above, and the price is right, get it.

3. bigred5850

bigred5850 TS Member

Brian in Oregon described it perfectly. I recently researched the differences myself. Brian, you would haved saved me a lot of time if I had asked on here and got this response...I have an 1187 premier 30" trap barrel step rib, with the above mentioned choke tubes. This is a target contour barrel and only 2 3/4" shells can be used as Brian stated. This barrel has a wire shell catcher which is much nicer than a TS clip on shell catcher for singles and handicap and can easily be removed for doubles. This gun has a straight trap stock(Non Monte Carlo). IMO very nice gun. It also has a 28" light contour sporting barrel with flat rib and four chokes. Full, Mod, Imp Cyl, IM extended. Chambers 2 3/4" and 3" shells. I also have a correct fore arm for the light contour barrel included. If you would be interested, I will sell for $750 + shipping. Thanks Eric

4. Slugo

Slugo Member

the basic difference to my understanding, and I have owned both, is the 11/87 has a gas compensating system and the 1100 does not. Also, the 11/87 shoots multiple size shells...

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Everything that Brian reports is accurate.

I have an 11/87 Premier Trap and an 1100 TB. Each has a 30" step rib barrel. The 1100 TB is fixed full and the 11/87 premier has the full, extra full and super full choke tubes.

They are both excellent trap guns. Cleaned properly, they will shoot all weekend long with no problems.

To me, the 1100 TB has a slightly thicker butt stock and it swings a little faster than the 11/87 Premier.

The 11/87, with the super full choke will "ink ball" targets even with 1 oz. of 8's. The 1100 TB also "ink balls" targets.

I remember shooting practice one day in the rain with the 11/87 Premier. As I was the only one on the range, I stood under a covered shed roof that was about 35 or more yards behind the house. Even with 1 oz. of 8's, the 11/87 Premier and super full choke (55 points of constriction) would break targets with very solid breaks.

While not pressure compensated, you can shoot up to 3 1/4 - 1 1/4 pigeon loads in the 11/87 Premier Trap.

From watching the for sale adds on TS.com over the years, the prices for a well maintained 11/87 Premier Trap seem to me to be increasing. I paid $450 for mine in 1987 and I see them now for much more than that. I would much rather have my 11/87 Premier trap than a new Remington 1100 trap. IMO, the 11/87 is better made and mine has similar wood and recoil pad to the 3200 competition trap models I have seen.

Ed Ward

6. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Active Member

I have both and for at least 5+ years I though the 1100 was the better gun now I feel the 11-87 is a better gun I still shoot both and have 3 1100 and 2 11-87 and hunt and shoot trap and skeet and 5 stand and belive thay are both great guns. I would buy what is in better condition and stock fits you best. FYI I have been shooting Remington 1100 & 1187 for 34yrs and duck hunt with guys who use Beretta & Benelli autos and if there is any diferance in relably it is with the owner nad how thay are maintained.......... Just my 2 cents

7. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

For what its worth, the 11-87 have stainless steel magazine tubes instead of the blued steel of the 1100.
    Also as Brian stated, the 11-87 trap barrels are factory backbored and are marked "Target" on the left side of the barrel. JM

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Slugo, quote: <i>"the basic difference to my understanding, and I have owned both, is the 11/87 has a gas compensating system and the 1100 does not. Also, the 11/87 shoots multiple size shells..."</i>

Some clarification....

The 1100 non-magnum barrel will chamber only 2-3/4" shells, and can be used with all but the heaviest field loads. It will cycle the heaviest loads, like slugs, buckshot, turkey and goosebusters, but the bolt velocity will be high enough that a steady diet of them will sooner or later break something. The bolt will slam into the back of the receiver pretty hard.

The magnum barrels not only will cycle 3" magnums, but also the so-called 2-3/4" "baby magnums" and the heavier 2-3/4" field loads, like pheasant loads. It won't cycle the lighter 2-3/4" loads.

The point is the 1187 is not unique in being able to cycle "multiple size shells". The 1100 magnum will too.

9. copperjohn

copperjohn Member

Good evening all: had to jump in and coment on 1100/1187. have used 1100's for years an excellent value first off, keep em clean and they just work. I have a 30" step rib barrel full choke and the cylinder on the barrel is out of round they don't have a replacement I was told so I'll have to send it in for repair. The second gas ring is so tight you have to tap it out and a good tap it must be. Never heard of barrels that were backbored for sure?

Kevin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

11-87 vs 1100

difference between remington 1100 and 11 87
difference between remington 1100 and 11-87

difference between remington 1100 and 1187

remington 11-87 vs 1100

remington 1100 vs 11-87

remington 1100 vs 1187

remington 1100 vs 1187 difference