1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Difference between 2 3/4 and 3 DRAM

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lucky hunter, May 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucky hunter

lucky hunter Member

What is the difference between 3 and 2 3/4 dram?

Thanks

Kyle

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Roughly a 1/4 dram. :)

3. grntitan

What? Someone was gonna say it.

4. lucky hunter

lucky hunter Member

Ok let me rephase this.....are these shells better for caps? Is there more of a kick to them or what?

5. grntitan

Yes considerable more felt recoil i.e. they are hotter. As for the caps question i revert back to the fact that the Martin's $100,000 was won last year from the 27 with 2 3/4 dram federals. Just say'n..................

6. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

lucky hunter:

Consider any two 1 1/8 ounce target shells that are essentially identical. Except... one is a 3 dram shell running at approx. 1200 feet per second (fps). The other is 2 3/4 dram who's speed is about 1150 fps.

Conventional wisdom holds the 3 dram (1200 fps) shell is 'better' for handicap - particularly long range handicap.

Three dram shells will, without question, result in more recoil than slightly slower 2 3/4 dram shells.

sissy

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

If you re-load try this in any hull, 18 Grs Green Dot it is a target crunching, smoking target load from anywhere on the trap line and you have to get used to the speed of it. I have gotten 99s and a 100 in Hdcp with it and quite a few 200s in singles in my earlier years of shooting when my reflexes were good.

I now load Promo to those speeds as money is tight. I save about $20.00 in powder expenses.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

To tell the truth, I can rarely, if ever, tell any difference between the two, providing the weight of the shot is the same. Not a real difference in recoil OR performance. There also seems to be a bit of variation in the velocities of either. You could end up with a slow 3 Dram load or a fast 2 3/4 Dram. I've chronographed quite a few factory loads over the years and there is enough variation sometimes that the line between the two isn't that well defined. Shot quality seems to be a bigger concern, but then, there's always the argument about shot size to worry about. Maybe even the one about 1oz or 1 1/8 oz. Shoot what works best for you, at the yardages you are shooting at. Years ago I shot nothing but 3 Dram 7 1/2s, because that's what they had at the club and it worked. Today I roll my own and can make whatever I think works best.

9. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

more pain....

10. letts

letts TS Member

My scale dose't indicate drams. Where do I buy a scale that does so I can load the three dram loads in case I ever become handicapped.

Letts

11. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

lucky hunter:

Letts' clumsly attempt at humor highlights a valid point. Drams or more accurately, dram equivalent, refers to an archaic measurement from black-powder days.

A given volume of black powder would push a specified shotshell payload at a particular speed. Three drams of black powder would push 1 1/8 ounce of shot at approx. 1200 fps. Any modern factory load (or reload using smokeless powder) that pushes 1 1/8 ounce at 1200 fps is said to be a 3 dram load.

IMHO, it would be less confusing if shells simply listed the velocity and dropped the references to drams.

sissy

12. letts

letts TS Member

Thank Sissy, now I know.

Letts

13. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

at 40 yds it means the #8 shot will get there out of a 3dram shell the same time the 7.5 gets there out of a 2-3/4 shell, if set off same time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
3 dram load
3 dram trap
dram load

dram shell

recoil dram dependence
three-dram
trap shooting 3dram

what is 3 dram