1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Diff b/w 1100 and 1100 MAG receivers?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Dec 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I should probably know this, but figure I'd ask anyways. Is there any material difference b/w a 1100 STD and 1100 MAG receiver?

I always thought they might be a touch longer, and just found a post on the internet saying they were heavier as well. They only real difference I KNOW of is in the action bar sleeve, that the MAG has a beefier one.

2. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I"ve several of each, and there is no difference in any of mine.

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The ejector is cut further back on the mag. model..

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Except for very early 2-3/4" receivers, before the magnum model was introduced, there is no difference in the receiver itself. The difference is the heavier action sleeve, the hollow cylinder that moves on the magazine tube. The magnum model has the heaviest action sleeve. The standard 1100 and the 1187 have a lighter sleeve.

5. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

can you put a 3" barrel on a standard receiver and shoot 3" shells???

6. RJ

RJ TS Member

I think you are asking if you can shoot a 3" barrel on a 2 3/4" receiver. Yes you can, but for a few shots. The three inchers will beat the bugjuice out of the receiver. Not heavy enough to take the beating the 3" will give it.
    (Rich.inAz.orinnameonly)

7. Brian in Oregon

A 3" barrel will fit and shoot on a non-magnum 1100.

However, because the non-magnum has a lighter action sleeve, the bolt velocity will be excessively high. This will lead to battering, and eventual damage. Possibly even cracking of the receiver.

You would need to install the heavier magnum action sleeve for this to work properly.

-----

Not to confuse the issue, but, Remington made a limited run of 3" steel shot barrels for non-magnum 1100 actions. You can safely shoot 3" steel in a 2-3/4" action, because the bolt velocity is lower. But, you cannot shoot 3" lead shells, because bolt velocity will be too high. These barrels are out of production, but they do turn up from time to time.

8. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

Remington still lists the "steel shot" 3 inch barrels on their web site and they footnote the sact that it can be used on 2 3/4 inch guns

9. Brian in Oregon

Maybe they found a bunch in their back room. I'd been trying to get an out of production barrel from them since 2002. None left. Then when they had their big parts inventory sale earlier this year, a pile of them suddenly showed up. I jumped on that and bought a couple.

10. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

Cabelas has a few 30 inch steel shot barrels available

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.