1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Diesel vs Gas---worth it?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chatbrat, Dec 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Looks like there will be several new diesel vehicles available within a year or two---currently there is about 40 cents difference per gal in cost with gas being cheaper---I intend to get a station or SUV with a diesel, with luck it will be the last vehicle I will ever need to purchase ---if there is a 3 to 5 k surcharge for a diesel engine, is it worth it , I don't intend to tow anything---Phil

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Depending on what vehicle, it is not worth it. Add the additional cost for fuel, plus the additional costs for oil changes, filters and such, and higher initial cost, it doesn't make sense for most. Not all service stations have deisel either, so it can be a problem when your traveling and don't know where the nearest station is. I don't like the "preheat" in cold weather either.

4. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Towing a lot - YES, Towing once a month to the lake with a boat - NO. Not towing - NO. Regardless what you get, make sure the vehicle is set up correctly for what you want to do.

Remember there are two kinds of buyers on the market. There is a need buyer and a want buyer. There are a lot more wants than needs.

5. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Unless you pull/haul a bunch, go with the gas. Duramax w/9500 lbs gross - 15-18 honest mpg. Throw on a 7000lb trailer, you drop to 10mpg as figgured with pencil and paper.....merlyn

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I saw an auto/financial/business expert (alleged) on one of the financial channels a few months back. He said, in his opinion, all the battery run and battery/gas passenger cars are going to be proven as a FAD. He opined the permanent fix was diesel. I haven't seen this tendency yet but wouldn't be surprised if it does come to happen. I currently have both a Toyota 4Runner for routine travel and the Ford 7.3 Power Stroke for towing a 5th wheel. When not towing, the full sized, V8 diesel truck gets the same mileage as the V6 4Runner when highway traveling, even up and over mountains here in the West. So, IMHO, diesel should provide the POSSIBILITY of considerably more power than any vehicle running on gas AND should provide considerably more mileage if the vehicles were similar and of equal power. I believe, in other words, buying two of any vehicles of equal size and power, the diesel will out perform the gas model when it comes to running costs....breakemall....Bob Dodd

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

At the local shops there are about 27 gas mechanics and One diesel mechanic{he's only there on tuesdays.} Go to the gas station and you will find 27 gas pumps and one diesel pump with a long line of work trucks with big tanks topping off. Oil change triple, parts triple, they heat up slow and you got to kill the engine to talk to anyone from the cab. {try and leave one running at a drive through, you never know what kind of food you'll get.}

I have both gas and diesel trucks, I love my diesel for heavy work and pulling but I would not have one If I could get away with it.

Also a $6,ooo option over a gas engine. That will buy a lot of gas.

8. Gilly

Gilly TS Member

chatbrat,
    Have had both type vehicles in our business and family vehicles.

I really do not believe the diesels are the right choice. Over the road truckers may need them but the rest of us do not.

Our 3/4 ton trucks with utility bodies do just fine and are not as expensive to operate.

Bob Gilchrist

West Virginia

9. Dutchboy

Dutchboy TS Member

There are two disadvantages to diesel: greater capital costs and higher fuel costs.

Maintenance is similar: Oil changes are higher, but less frequent. Comfort is a personal issue: the newer diesels are pretty well behaved and quiet.

There are three advantages to diesel: Torque, fuel efficiency and longevity. They are needed to pull heavy loads, they DO get 20 to 30% better fuel economy (especially under load), and they DO have the ability to squeeze 500,000 miles out of an engine (or more).

In other words, unless you tow heavy loads OR run 40,000 miles per year or more, the gasser will do you better. JMO, Dutch.

10. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

If your going with a volkswagon, not sure what models they have in diesel anymore, I'd get one. My ex boss had a diesel rabbit that got 40-50 mpg and went 300k+, the body fell off it before the motor went. If your not working with it or towing I would'nt go diesel. Just my opinion.

11. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

A year ago a shooting buddy bought the small Jeep SUV Diesel . When he was buying it he was telling me how good it was . He is sick of it . It gets poor mileage ( 16-17 ) the cost to have the service done is three times a gas motor . His wife put gas in it ( that cost him big time ) It has been in the shop four times this year for two or three days each time . It runs very poorly for a new car and Diesel is 40 cents a gal.higher then gas .

12. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

Not anymore.

At one time diesel was the way to go if you needed a large truck for towing. But things are changing and they are no longer the best deal. Now days the gas trucks get about 3-5 miles per gallon lower mileage or about 15%. At one time you could add a .20 lower or 10% savings on fuel to that. The combination helped make up for the 5-7k cost of the diesel option. But now diesel cost .40 more or about 13% more then gas whipping out any mileage savings. On top of that the maintenance cost are much higher, a basic oil change is twice as much. Any repair work will also cost you much more the a gas truck. At one time longevity was a factor that favored diesel trucks (except for the old chevy 6.2) but today all of the gas trucks will easily go just as long as the diesels. So I suggest unless things change back save your 5k diesel upgrade and your .40/gal and get a gas truck.

13. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

VW is going to bring out a smaller diesel engine in thier SUV (Toureg) in the near future. VW will be offering the Jetta in the diesel model soon.

We are on our third Jetta TDI, all have gotten great mpg for the drive to work and as much as 50.7mpg on straight highway runs from Phoenix to Los Angeles at 70-80 mph. The current 2006 gets 47.5 as an average.

If you have the funds, look into the Mercedes e-class diesel. These cars are known to run a half a million miles+. The new e320 blue-tec runs about $55k and is rated at 37 miles per gallon highway (i've talked to owners of the new car and they claim as much as 40mpg highway). the MB folks also put a diesel in the M--series as well as R and GL. All these autos are currently available in the USA.

The great auto for America could just be a diesel/electric Hybrid. We shall see....

JMHO

Phil

14. Rottweil72

Rottweil72 TS Member

Bought a new 2002 chevy with duramax and allison -- has been a great truck -- will ave. about 16.5 miles/gal. most weeks -- pull a heavy load -- drops down to 12 to 13 mi./gal. --- the truck weighs about 7400 lbs. without the snow plow -- for hard work, it gets the job done. We added a 2003 chevy gas truck -- no comparison -- the gas/trans. combo is not the best for heavy duty work -- we have 8 veh. on the road -- if you are just going to run around, or pull light loads -- go gas -- if you really are going to "WORK" it -- go diesel. If you are just looking $$$$, --you can figure about 150,000 miles to break even on fuel and engine cost difference --- if you keep the truck a long time, the fuel and repairs favor the diesel -- just my experience

Bill

15. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

I drove a Vauxhall Vectra this summer in the UK. I couldn't get over the snap it had. It was as fast as my Toyota Sienna in the passing lane.

We got 43 miles to the gallon on a three week road trip where we were on highways, by-ways, towns villages and one track roads.

I was very impressed.

I don't know why we don't have them over here.

As well they have a low sulphur diesel fuel now with almost no odour.

16. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

By the time the EPA allows a Diesel in a new car or lite truck is will be so over loaded with smog-crap it will get around 16 mpg.

17. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Not even a close call. GAS all the way, if you are not towing and want a SUV as you say. Only a couple of models with diesel in what your looking for, and dozens to chose with gas. $5,000 extra for motor and .40 cents for for diesel, just not worth it if you do not tow a heavy load alot. Good Luck. Break-em all. Jeff

18. clayguy

clayguy TS Member

Hit the internet on diesels in SUV and trucks. VW is coming out with a 10 cylinder diesel with LOTS of power for SUVs. I personally do not favor diesel, but in doing some travel on the internet, it appears that cleaner burning diesels are going to be the norm soon due to emissions, engine longevity. The claim is diesel fuel will come down in price as the need for gasoline is dramatically reduced. The diesel people are also claiming that in the final analysis, diesel will win over the hybrid cars, As it currently stands, California will no longer register diesel cars due to emission problems, so the manufacturers are cleaning up diesel engines realizing that other states have, or will, follow CA's lead (right or wrong).

19. clayguy

clayguy TS Member

Hit the internet on diesels in SUV and trucks. VW is coming out with a 10 cylinder diesel with LOTS of power for SUVs. I personally do not favor diesel, but in doing some travel on the internet, it appears that cleaner burning diesels are going to be the norm soon due to emissions, engine longevity. The claim is diesel fuel will come down in price as the need for gasoline is dramatically reduced. The diesel people are also claiming that in the final analysis, diesel will win over the hybrid cars, As it currently stands, California will no longer register diesel cars due to emission problems, so the manufacturers are cleaning up diesel engines realizing that other states have, or will, follow CA's lead (right or wrong).

20. missemucho

missemucho Member

The last financial analysis I saw said it took about 270,000 miles for a diesel to save money over a comparible gas engine. That was for trucks hauling heavy loads where the diesel's got about twice the mileage when towing. I would imagine if you don't tow it would take a lot longer than that.

Plus it appears diesels are about 10 years away (if they ever get there) from being as convenient to own as gas SUV's. Personally I went with a Honda van which makes more sense than any SUV unless you live in the snow belt.
    John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.