1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Diesel MPG

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Browning Man, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

I was thinking about getting a used diesel truck, but I know nothing about them. Which truck gets the best fuel mileage, a 7.3 Powerstroke, Cummins, or a Duramax, which pulls better. Give me your opinion on these trucks, I have heard some good things about a Duramax, even though I have been more of a ford man.

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Thats like asking what shotgun breaks more targets. The mileage depends on the gearing and your driving habits.

3. M-16

M-16 TS Member

A standard transmission will get the best MPG Best MPG if you keep the rpms below 2000 If your use to a gas engine they all pull great. The best truck would be combine all three. If you don't care which brand just go with the best deal they all will do good. Also stay away from low gearing 4:11-1 or higher unless your always pulling heavy. good luck

4. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

Duramax!!!

only way to go!!

tony

5. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Know some people who are testing (new) Duramax' and they are having a serious problem with milage. SOmething about the emmision system clogging up and fuel milage dropping by about 1/2. I've got an '04 F-350 diesel and get 14 around town and up to 19 1/2 on the highway. Pulling anything moderately heavy milage drops to about 12-12 1/2. Will pull anything that I can hook up to it!

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

6. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

Of the Three, the FORD 7.3 will get you where you wish to go with the least problems...IMHO.
    They have been known to run well past 300K without problems.
    Finding a 7.3 should not be hard, However, The TRANSMISSIONS (4R100)is the weak link in a very strong drive train.
    Try to find one with a rebuilt (bullet proof) Transmission.
    Fuel will depend to a large part on what rear end is installed and the purpose of the Vech.
    Example: My Rig is a 2003 7.3. 85% Hi-way driving little towing, Rear is a 3:55, I get 20~23 mpg @ 65 mph or 1875 rpm.
    Towing a Travel trailer or 5th wheel will get you 13~16 mpg depending on Rear.
    For more info. privet message me, I'll help best I can.

7. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

The Ford and Chev are ok if your going to ride around the root beer stand, if your going to put it to work buy a DODGE. I mean work not pulling a travel trailer.I Put 475,000 miles on a 95 DODGE with a 36' Flat bed with 10 crushed cars on it. Grossed over 44,000 lbs a nunber of times. Put in 1 transmission and one set of bearings in the rear end. Only thing we did to the motor was oil changes and air filters. Half those miles were empty trailer. Bill

8. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Dodge with Cummings diesel the only way to drive if you want a work rig. Me

9. swamp rat

swamp rat TS Member

Diesel Power Mag has does a lot of test on the stock Big 3 and has rated them best MPG to worst.
    1. Chevy Duramax 20.8 MPG
    2. Dodge Cummins 19.4 MPG
    3. Ford Power Stroke 18.1 MPG

I have a 2002 Dodge with the Cummins, 6 speed manual and I have installed 4" exhaust from turbo out (no cat) and a super tunner chip, with these mod I get 21 to 22 if I keep it around 60 mph. Diesel Power show the Duramax with the same mods at over 24 mpg and the Ford at just over 20 mpg.

BRGII is right about the Dodge being a work rig but mine will shake your guts out on a rough road if it does have about 3000lb in the back.

Due to Fords tranmission trouble and the rough ride of my Dodge, I will go with the Duramax the next time.

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Chevy or Dodge

11. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

I had a 1997 Dodge Cummins put 248,000+ on it. It got between 16.5 and 18 depending on how I drove it. Everything held up well on that truck except for the ball joints. The ones installed by Dodge were junk, once I installed Moog ball joints I got over 100,000 on a set. Best mpg it ever got was about 21 mpg on a 600 mile trip driving the speed limit. It had the 4spd auto and 3.54 rear end. I have heard that any Dodges after 2006 have too much emission controls to get very good mileage. I have heard many complaints about Fords 6.0 and 6.4 liters and that the 7.3s were the best. I have heard the Duramax's get around 17-19 mpg and most folks love em.

I did a little calculation the other day and if diesel remains about 50 cents higher than gas and assuming you would get 12 mpg with a gas engine and 18 mpg with a diesel and drive 100,000 miles the higher gas cost is about equal to the cost of the diesel option (roughly $5,000). If you are not pulling heavy loads a gas engine may be just as good of a buy. I would think diesel might hold its resale value a little more than gas. Although, it seem that NADA guides and Kelly Blue Book kill the values of used vehicles on age more so than mileage anymore.

John E.

12. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I pull a 17K 5th wheel. F350 with the 6. Navistar diesel. I went to the Newmar owners web site when I bought my 5th wheel. Dodge auto tran had a lot of complaints. Most owners used the Ford. I also called Banks Engineering and spoke with them. They felt the Ford/Navistar was the best. My milage is 17 hiway and 10 pulling the trailer, the vehicle computor says 1mpg more. Drove a brand new F350 on level ground & cruise control the computor sez 11 wow! I have just had service by Ford. Screwed 3 ways from Sunday. Contacted Ford Customer Service, 6 weeks later got an e-mail "rate your satisfaction with the resolution of your complaint". I was pretty harsh as I recieved no attempt at resolution.

13. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

I do not want a Ford 6.0 or a 6.4, I what a diesel because we have a farm and need to pull some heavy loads, but not real often, thats where the fuel mileage comes into play.

14. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Not really an expert on it I have owned one diesel and still am driving it. 02 Dodge 3500 sport and it's a cummings with 4x4 dually. If I keep it under 60 I get close to 17 and if I drive it 70 to 75 the mileage drops down to 14.6.When pulling the 5th wheeler camper that is 12 feet and 9 inches tall and 37 foot long I get 11. I have had the truck only a year and it's 6 years old but only has 68000 on it. I've been told the mileage will actually get better. I like the way the dually pulls the trailor and I like the stiff ride. I hope I get to live long enough to wear out the engine. :)Good luck with your rig and keep it between the lines. Dan

15. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Browning Man, I re-read your first post. If you are a Ford man buy yourself a 7.3 with the lowest mileage you can find and equiped as closely to what you want if you were ordering new. You'll likely to give more than bluebook value worth, but if its really nice and geared right, I don't think you will go wrong. That 7.3 is a pretty durable engine. I would recommend staying away from any rear ends geared lower than 3.73 to 1.

Good luck on your search. John E.

16. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

Thanks for the help guys

17. stu42

stu42 Member

Have 2006 Duramax,19,000 mi. The very best milage I have ever had was 12.3mpg. Have had a AFE Proguard 7 and intake plus the best Magnaflow 4" stainless exhaust installed hoping to better same to no avail. Had it back twice to the GMC dealership where I purchased it and the service manager said" That's about right!" I have never talked to anyone who gets poorer milage than I do. With the price of diesel in our area running about 5.15 per gal. I wouldn't do it again.. Stu

18. M-16

M-16 TS Member

Fords the 2003-2004 6.0 was the ones that had computer problems that gave them a bad name. All of the 7.3 where great pullers I had 92 & 99, the 99 had 4" exhaust, K&N filter, & Edge kit I pulled a 36'long 13'5" high 14700 lb trailer all over the east coast. MPG 70 mph and under 12.9mpg not getting past by any body and picking up speed going up hill usally over 80 mph 11.5 mpg

19. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

stu42, you have a lemon. Mine is an 06' too. Get 16.8 on short trips and 19.7 on long trips, and it's ben that way from day one. Great truck.

20. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

The vehicle mileage on any of the trucks varies widely from vehicle to vehicle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.