1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Diesel fuel ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by digger1dog, Mar 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. digger1dog

digger1dog Member

No damage will happen I work for a county government we use off-road fuel in a couple hundred trucks. Our 2007's get fuel from a different pump uls. but '06 and older use off road fuel because we are not held to the road use taxes.

2. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

BE CAREFULL. NOT ALL OFF ROAD DIESELS ARE THE SAME. SOMETIMES OFF ROAD CAN BE MUCH DIRTIER BASED ON LOCAL STORAGE PROBLEMS. IT MAY BE "OLDER" ALSO WHICH MEANS IT COULD NOT BE PROPER VISCOSITY FOR AMBIENT TEMPERATURE.

CHANGE THE FUEL FILTER TWICE AS OFTEN, ONLY USE OEM FILTER ELEMENTS. MAYBE ADD AN ADDITIONAL LARGER CAPACITY AFTERMARKET FILTER/WATER SEPERATOR.

IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM , BOSCH WILL NOT WARRANTY THE PUMP IF ANY TRACE OF OFF ROAD FUEL IS FOUND IN THE PUMP. YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE WHAT THAT WILL COST YOU
    TO PAY RETAIL FOR A NEW PUMP!!!!

MAY NOT BE WORTH IT IN THE LONG RUN.

3. wadshot

wadshot TS Member

I had to replace that pump once, YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO THAT TRUST ME !!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Goose28313

Goose28313 TS Member

The ULSD is a requirement in many states now and it will become mandatory on a National level by I think 2010. I'm truck driver and 2007 and newer trucks cannot run on the Low sulfur without risking damage, they have to have the newer ULSD fuel. As to the off road fuel, a 2005-2006 yes you could run it, just don't ever get caught.

Derek

5. M-16

M-16 TS Member

Trucks made after Feb 2007 have to meet the new standards. The sulfur will plug up the particulent filter.Big $$ filter. I bought a diesel that had run on red fuel and ran 10 tank fulls of clear on road through the motor and when I pulled the injector lines their still was traces of the red dye. Very hard to get reid of. I have heard getting caught with red fuel is a $1000.00 fine first time plus tax on your gal storage capity. Yes your tank at home and they check local suppiers for what you bought also. 2nd offense is doubled. Any truck voids the warranty to if red dye is found.

6. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

the fines are cheap compared to the cost of a high pressure Bosch pump

7. NWKansan

NWKansan TS Member

The biggest problem I have heard with the new low sulfur diesel is lubrication of the injection pump, this is where bio diesel helps. Not pushing it because I farm but because I run a lot of older equipment and know the cost of rebuilding injection pumps. The fuel dealer is supposed to add additives if not done by supplier but I add more when I get my fuel. Same as the off road dye the dealer adds when he gets the fuel except for the low sulfur fuel as it is not used for off road yet.

8. NWKansan

NWKansan TS Member

One other thing I have heard (local guy that got caught) fines start at $1000 for first offense then go up to $10,000 and can loose the right to use off road fuel in off road vehicles if you keep using it in on road vehicles. They do check in this area if you get stopped.

9. 682LINY

682LINY Member

we have a fleet of 10,000 busses that use ULS fuel,,,and 400 pic ups that are the older GM mechanical pumps,,,the ULS does find its way into pic ups now and than,,,,allways costs a injector pump

10. C-Money

C-Money Member

Will the new ultra low sulfur fuel damage the injector pump on an 6.9 international motor from 1986? I have been putting a small amount of Shaffers additive with every tank full. I think the 6.9 has a mechanical injector pump, which was very costly to rebuild. I dont want to go threw that again! Corey

11. Prescott Gene

Prescott Gene Member

Not sure about the new diesel but have heard that Bio-Diesel can have some long term effects on metal. There is a fuel tank producer that is testing different amounts of Bio and Regular Diesel and the stronger concentrations are eating the metals used in the fuel system. It seems that the higher concentrations of Bio Diesel errode the metal faster but that the lower concentrations still seem to errode the metal.

Gene

12. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I recently bought a Cummings motored dually with 4x4 Dodge 02. I have several friends that are dieselers and they all have told me to stay away from the bio diesel and not to use the off road. For the main reason that it's illegal to use it and the rumor is in Illinois that they will check your mileage and just figure that you have been cheating for that length of time and charge those dollars to you in a fine. I have one friend who is a diesel mechanic and he says the bio diesel costs too much in fuel filters, because all diesel grows bacteria in it and the bio brands really grow it and the bacteria clogs up the fuel filters. I actually have yet to experience this on my own but I do trust these guys opinions. I know that the project I am working on we have about 65 different machines that operate on diesel. We have two suppliers of diesel and one of them has several tanks. One time the guys got into the bio diesel tank and we had a heck of a time changing all the fuel filters on equipment to keep it all running. One clue is if you start having problems with filters. Buy a handful of them cause one isn't enough. Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.