1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Diesel fuel prices, Highway & Off road

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by steele, Apr 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steele

steele TS Member

I have a diesel tractor for my hobby farm & I have been buying "off road" fuel for it. The idea behind offroad fuel is, the is no Road/Highway tax added to the price. In Penna, there is 63.6 cents of highway taxes/per gallon of diesel fuel. Right now, road fuel is $3.89/gal. Why is off road fuel $3.69?? without the road taxes, it should be $3.26/gal. So the dealer is making an extra .40/gal?

2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

gouging has NO boundaries!!

3. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

They probably only exempt the state tax for non highway use as we do in Wisconsin. The Feds don't give up anything.

4. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

When Dodge came out with a diesel pickup, the last days of diesel being cheap was introduced!

Diesel in a fair and just world would STILL be half the price of a gallon of regular gas.

but like I said, gouging knows no boundaries.

Oh ya, you have to go to Europe to get the GOOD diesel engines. They are "banned" from import into the US and the good ones we produce are of "export" only.

Check out the VW Jetta and the Ford Rangers. It will take some research time.

The Jetta diesel that got 56+ mpg after two years here, the EPA banned them based on "they were to polluting". That same engine now allowed here only get at best 46 mpg.

Our country is about WASTE not efficiency.

5. steele

steele TS Member

Federal tax is 24.4 & state is 38.1. That is still not right!

6. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

In Pa. The off road Deisel has a RED dye in specifically for off road, farming, etc. if you get stopped on the highway and check your fuel cap and they see the red dye you'll get a hefty fine. Same goes for a state inspection, if by chance they'd look at the inside of your fuel cap, see it, & the guy is a PR
    Your done!

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

They are hosing you, we buy off road in Texas and it is the full amount of federal and state off the price

As for them checking if you use it in your truck just take a paper towel and wipe out the neck after you are done filling LOL

But you sure don't want to have farm tags and a fuel tank in the back of your truck when you are at a livestock auction, the DPS walk around and check the trucks fuel tanks they have a little tube that they will get a sample and as said it is a hefty fine

8. steele

steele TS Member

I don't worry about the highway truck, as it is gas. I just burn diesel in my hi-lift & farm tractor.

9. dirt stirrer

dirt stirrer Well-Known Member

Catpower,

I have just surfed here for a long time, never feeling like adding much more than is offered, but you are about as full of it as a Christmas turkey on this advice. Just wipe the dye out of the neck after filling: are you for real? The dye don't slough off in the filler neck. It's in the fuel. And as for da FEDS coming around places like livestock auctions, yes they do. They do check for dyed fuel in the vehicle tank, if it ain't locked. The bulk fuel tank on the back of most farm trucks is never probed, there isn't squat they can do about that. Unless thy saw you transfer fuel from the bulk tank to your vehicle.

10. dirt stirrer

Muzzleblast,

If the tax difference is that pronounced, there is a way to get all the taxes back. This may be difficlt if you don't have some type of Farm Tax Use number. Simply purchase all road fuel, and apply for the taxes back at tax time. I've done it several times. You won't get a check, it will all be either deducted from your state taxes come tax time, or added to your refund. Lots of paperwork/receipts to keep up with, and documentation of what the fuel was used in. If you have no vehicle that burns diesel, it should be easier.

Check it out if you are talking about very much fuel taxes.

11. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Dirt,

I would recommend that you go back to lurking. You touched your keyboard, and 'removed all doubt........'

Cat was injecting some levity (LOL) into a bit of warning and perhaps personal experience. And, we still have probable cause requirements all enforcement agencies have to contend with, regardless of locks.

Kip

12. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Thanks Kip

dirtstirrer, I have never seen any FEDs, its the Texas DPS at the autions

13. dirt stirrer

Sorry for the mis-read on the inflection. The printed word is not always interpreted by others the way the author intended sometime. And I have heard some real ding-a-ling know it alls tell others with all seriousness just what catpower said above. As for the kip's suggestion, I'm gone. Not my favorite forum to start with.

Thanks for my one post.

After 40 years of shooting/reloading, I didn't have much to contribute anyway.

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Well that was interesting.....
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>

I've had my fuel checked at the "Chicken Coop" many a times while driving a big truck out on the interstates. That said, I've never had it checked in any of our farm vehicles even when going through the portables. Not that we had anything to hide.

15. dirt stirrer

Don't know what a chicken coop is, I'm not a trucker, although I operate two semis and grain trailers on the farm. It's not the FED, it's O.D.O.T here in Oklahoma, but just as well be the FED, they are a branch of the bigger D.O.T.

They do regularly have the portables here, especially at harvest times, scales too. They do occasionally show up at livestock auctions, but never probe a tank in the cargo box or on the bed of the pickup/service truck, only the vehicle fuel tank.

16. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

A local farmer got caught with red fuel in his personal pickup a while back. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, always complaining grain prices were to low, expenses to high and not enough government checks in the mail. Everyone was making it big but him while be built a new house and drove all new equipment and went south for the winter.

I have been checked at weight stations while driving truck cranes down the highway.

17. steele

steele TS Member

I really don't use that much fuel to really worry about it, maybe 150-200 gallons/year. It just startled me to see the tax which is not levied on the fuel, & the higher price levied at the pumps. Someone that uses lots of fuel is really getting screwed. Interesting responses. Thanks Butch from Pgh

18. magic

magic Member

If they are delivering 200 gal or less in a year that's why. Probably higher due to delivery and labor. Especially if it is their tank.....gotta make it worth their while.

Jason Sheehy

99-11142

19. steele

steele TS Member

These prices are not for delivery. These are prices at the pump.

20. Renoone

Renoone TS Member

Same here in Iowa. I just checked this yesterday. Road tax is somewhere around 50 cents but you only get about 15-20 cents less than price at station. This is getting the fuel at the bulk dealer, not delivered. I never did get a good answer as to why but I would like to know. Anyone have the correct answer and not just a guess?

Thanks...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hobby farming in pa how to buy deisel without road taxes