1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

die lube for p/w 800+?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Whats everyone using for die lube on their 800+? The best I can find, based on reviews on the web, would be Dillon's Case Lube. Any other thoughts?

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

For the dies I just give them a quick spray with whatever I have laying around, usually WD40, and then I wipe them down.

If you are going to use Dillon case lube make it yourself. Don't waste the money buying it from Dillon.

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I squirt some super thin oil around the OUTSIDE of my dies once is a while, and about every 1,000 or so. I'll line up 8-10 once-fired hulls, spray with WD-40 and load them like that.

Been doing that for a ton of years.

Whiz White<BR>
    P/W Distributor

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I do not understand why you would lube the outside shell holding die.

As for the inside all you need to do is use a bronze brush on the die cleaning bracket. I use a bronze chamber brush from Brownells. The brush that P/W sells is too small and does not do anything. I had to make a new adapter rod to mount the chamber brush as it has 8-32 threads.

Every 1000 shells or so I remove each die and clean the inside with a good bore solvent on a patch then coat it with Birchwood Casey Sheath. This is all the lube you will need if you use a good bronze brush on the die cleaning bracket.

Jim Skeel

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have never cleaned or lubed the dies but I have sprayed the hulls a couple times with WD40

6. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The case lube will get you by for a while. I used to use CLP BreakFree on a wool mop in the die cleaning bracket before I came up with a bronze brush that did a good job. I just did not like the lube on the finished shells. WD-40 will evaporate over time so it may be a better choice for lube.

Jim Skeel

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I sqirt the WD40 into the empty die as it indexes. Same result as Whiz?

8. Doubles Shooter

Doubles Shooter Member

I don't lube the inside of the dies. I just use the bronze brush. During my annual tear down and lube, I give the outside of the die bases several generous layers of dry Moly spray. BTW I'm using an old 800B with non removable dies

9. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Best Die lube ever is 100 Federal papers

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Occasionally I will lube the inside of the dies, as well as other parts on my PW press with the same oil I put in my lawn mower. I believe more research has been applied to motor oil than any other type of lubricant. My press does not put nearly as much stress on the oil I use as does my lawn mower or automobile engine.

Pat Ireland

11. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Pat is right on. In fifty some years of shooting and loading, I have never spent a dime on gun oil. I did take a couple of pint cans home with me in 1969 courtesy of my uncle, but they only lasted twenty years or so.

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Some people lube the outsides of the dies to prevent rust or any reactions between the dies and the aluminum turret; that's irrelevant if you have the grivory turret and probably unnecessary if you use your aluminum turret loader often enough to keep the dies from sitting in one place for a long time. Besides, it can get messy and attract graphite from the powder.

MK

13. dverna

dverna Active Member

I have used Imperial Sizing Wax.

I have also tied a cotton band of cloth to the die cleaning brush and used the Spolar die lube. This allows some slight scrubbing from the bronze brush and lubrication.

Don Verna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.