1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Didn't know old motorcycles were appreciated

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by michae lee, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michae lee

michae lee Member

Didn

1940 Knuckle, 1966 FLH and 1977 XLCR
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. beaker100

beaker100 Member

cool bikes!

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The Cafe Racer......ah, yes, AMF's ill conceived marriage to H-D and a grand attempt at expanding the market without improving quality.

Looks original except for the 2 up seat. I lusted greatly for one till I heard how fragile the engine was. Wiser heads (read wifey) prevailed and it was another 3 years before street iron came to my garage.

Mash the link for a nice article comparing then and now, 20 more HP, a one second quicker 1/4 mile, and of course some 7 thousand odd dollars more lifted from your wallet.

Nice retro iron.

update: link didn't fit, copy/paste this:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/features/122_1008_harley_davidson_xr1200_vs_
    xlcr_cafe_racer/viewall.html

HM

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The Chopper with the springer front end and peanut tank looks like it came off the streets of California in the late 60's or early 70's. I had one that looked almost identical when I came back from Vietnam.

5. michae lee

michae lee Member

I have owned that bike since 1970 when I built it from parts. Had just left So Cal after buying Sal Minieo's 66 FL. When I returned to N.M. I sold it and built the Knuckle. Mike

6. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

cool pix, thanks for sharing!~

true or not,? these old things run on regular leaded gas which is almost impossible to find anymore...

Sportshot

7. 682LINY

682LINY Member

any of the old ones need to have good hardend valve seats and lateer style valves put in when valve job is done or else the seats pound into the heads,,, but they need top end jobs often if you ride hard,,, lead acted as a lubricant between valves and seats

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Pretty good looking old "steamer". I'll bet that one is quite the head turner when out and about.

What year is the Buell S3T in the background? That's is another bike that time will be kind to.

ss

9. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Looks like a 1995 or 1996 S2 Thunderbolt. I have one painted pearl white from the rims up. Like to call her Snowflake. She's a real hoot to ride.
    dju

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.