1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Did you ride on my ship?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Herb Roach, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herb Roach

Herb Roach Member

Since this site gets a broad spectrum of readers, I thought I might find out if anyone rode the USS Paul Revere (APA-248)in 1967 VN "campaign"? I was E-8 ET at the time and generally had one of my crew in each VP or M boat going to the beach. I don't believe any of the ground pounders that were riding on the "Old Peter Rabit" were lost of injured, but I don't know that for a fact. Generally something that serious would have be talked about all over the ship. One little Hooray for the skipper. Just before we left San Diego, our Captain, Louis Neeb, called all hands out the helicopter deck, and informed us that we would be hauling and picking up Soldiers who would be making scouting trips and forays along the coast. He said when these men returned to the ship, they would be mentally and physically exhausted, and I found out that he was exactly right. He told us that the galley would be open 24 hours a day for these men, and they could have anything we had, and all they wanted of it. They would get clean linen everyday, and if they crawled into their bunks with their boots and saddle, that was perfectably acceptable. They could also throw their butts on the deck, and any sailor would pick it up. He also told the crew if anyone had a problem with the way he was running the ship, they were free to change places with any of our guests. He was an excellent Skipper and he was also my last Skipper. Herb Roach

2. vdt

vdt Active Member

thank you,keep well..vdt

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

God bless you and those that served with you.

4. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

I was a Navy Corpsman from Aug. 1956 till July 1976, rode some "Gator Freightors" while attached to the Marines in both the Second marine Division and Third Marine Division retired from Pearl Harbor and have enjoyed life ever since.

5. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Newport RI, LCM Crafts, Goat Island and Melville 1959-1961 USS Boston CAG 1, E-4, A Division, 1961-1962

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.