1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Did u ever eat at the old cafeteria at Vandalia?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Feb 7, 2013.

1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    It's snowing here in Milwaukee today as I am at my mother's condo taking care of her. For some reason I started thinking about all the good times I had years ago shooting the Grand American in Vandalia.

In the past, I have mentioned that a personal friend of mine was Vic Reinders. I can not remember a time that Vic did not eat at the local cafeteria on the grounds?

One morning, Vic invited me to join him for breakfast. I don't know if any of you have ever had a friend who was well known in trapshooting, but I got to meet so many of trapshooting's great shooters and ambassadors thanks to knowing Vic.

That particular morning I met the great Jimmy Robinson and a few other well known people involved in our sport.

So did you ever eat in the old cafeteria, and did you ever see or meet some of our sports best while in there?
    Steve Balistreri
  2. senior smoke

APrice:
    I have no idea what the means, but have a good day.
    Steve
  3. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Active Member

Good thread, Steve. He was referring to Dr. Gary commented he wanted to find a woman to sort shells. Back to your thread, tell us more about Mr. Jimmy Robinson, what you thought, what you talked about, anything that struck you as unique. Scott
  4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Ate there finally in 2005. Jax Snellenberger told me where it was.
  5. Ed Y

Ed Y Active Member

I ate there many times and so did Vic and his wife.

Ed Yanchok
  6. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Member

My wife and I ate there for 30 straight years until they closed Vandalia.

Maybe someday I will try the cafeteria at Sparta. I don't even know if they have a cafeteria at Sparta.

Ron Burdick
  7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I ate there once, met some guy who thought he was at the airport ... WPT ... (YAC) ...
  8. senior smoke

Hi Scott:
    My memory is not the best but what I do remember most was how short he was. To me, he looked like an old newspaper reporter from the thirty's.

Vic introduced me to him and we shook hands and I thanked him for always promoting the sport of trapshooting. I then shut up and listened as they were talking about duck hunting.

As they were talking, they were both interupted a few times as friends and admirers came by to shake their hands.

When he left, Vic told me that trapshooters owe that man a debt of gradtitude for all the work he has done over the years for shooters and the game. I then told Vic that trapshooters also owed him a thank you for all the work he had done for our sport. Vic said something that I will always remember, "he said that trapshooting owes me nothing", it has given me more than I could ever repay".

He than said stop talking as my food is getting cold.
    Steve
  9. senior smoke

I just received a PM from someone who said he had no idea who these two people are that I am talking about? I suggested that he read up on the history of the ATA and the Grand American.

In fact, it should be required reading once you take out a ATA membership that you read up on the history and also read up on the rules of the game. I love this game. I alway wished that I could of met Charlie sparrow young.

I once asked Vic who was the toughest competitor he ever faced? He did not pause for even a moment, as he said Ned Lilly.
    Steve
  10. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Moderator Staff Member

Many times from the late 60's on tll 2005
  11. Pipe Layer

Pipe Layer Member

12. magnumshot

magnumshot Member

I ate fried chicken there with my cousin Don at the 100th grand. He was a yearly grand attendee since the 50's and his daughters worked the traps when they were old enough. He's passed away now. He had a story of his one daughter shooting the trap house, and after her misfire the ATA president came out with paint and told her to paint the shot mark.
  13. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Active Member

Yes, I ate there many times, the greasy burgers and sausages on the line were more tempting though..Memories of the Grand at Vandalia I'll never forget...
  14. 320090T

320090T Active Member

Ate there before and after it was air conditioned. Always good food.
  15. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Our group ate breakfast there almost every morning. My Camping spot wasn't to far away. The air conditioner was a portable set out in the fron yard.

Don
  16. JT 27

JT 27 Member

I ate several meals annually from 1968 and during the Ohio State Shoot until the end. I thought the quality of the food went down when the ATA decided to use a catering service rather than the "Church Ladies" as I called them. Used to stay at Dessie's Motel. You could tell Dessy you "wanted a room for next year" and you would have it.
  17. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

I ate at the cafeteria many times when I had money. Usually I had none. If I hit a lewis class sometimes I would eat. If it weren't for Frenchy and Arlene Frigon I probably would have starved...........Uncle Sam, Pa.
  18. patrick Swartz

patrick Swartz Member

I ate there many times. It usually wasn't crowded. The big air conditioners out front were definately a plus. Local ladies out front in the serving line and all the high school kids washing dishes. Glass drinking glases and all the ice and cold water you wanted. I also liked the sausage guy who always set up near where the west intrance road, met the main road right behind the traps. The big mound of cooking onions and sausage really drew in the big belly trap shooters,like me. I still remember coming off the line and heading for the beer tent. I don't know how they kept that much beer,that cold. I went to the 27 for the first time there. I think it was 1988 or 89. I shot a 98 from the 26 with my 1936 M12 standard trap. All my memories of being there are good.

Patrick Swartz
  19. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Senior,

Yes ate there many times from 1996 thru to 2004, Breakfast and lunch (always followed by a piece of pie) we stayed up at Huber Heights and ate at just about every restaurant in a 15 mile radius including each and all along Miller lane, Always at the "Buckhorn" and a Italian place I recall "Articoles" I think it was called, we ate there every year.

We have been to Sparta on 3 occassions and God willing will be back again this Summer, also onto the Cardinal Classic in Ohio.
    Sparta is not Vandalia but enjoyable just the same.

Regards,

Gary Kennerson........Sydney Australia ATA.96 05145

PS. Hope to register my 25,000 singles this trip.
  20. Bullfrog1

Bullfrog1 TS Member

You want to make me cry. The many years I and Viv had breakfast there. The people we talked to the time we had will always be in our hearts. There will never be a place like that again for me. Bill