1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Did something I haven't in 20 yrs

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by hrosik123, May 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Did something I haven

This past Sunday I went to church. Haven't been to a non wedding related service in 20 years. Felt good. As I take inventory of my life I remember life was better when I went weekly. Think its something I'm gonna persue. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Welcome back, Christ has been waiting. Still there, Still the same.

Been there done that. Sorry I left the first time.

When you take your eyes off of Him, and look at the people, you'll always be disappointed.

3. capulona

capulona TS Member

Why did you have to go to church? Shouldn't you be able to commune with God anywhere? When you attend mass you only give power to the institution, who doesn't really have your best interest in their agenda.

4. dhip

dhip Active Member

Cap,,

yes you can commune with God anywhere,but,,do you.Being a creature of habit,man tends to stray from that which he ought to do.Many feel more at ease when things are structured for them,such as going to church.That's why there's so many different churchs,different strokes for different folks.Many institutions as you put it,do have your interest in mind,but a few unfortunately do as you say.I find,most that feel as you stated,don't follow through with the communing part,for those that do,I a sure you,their communing time is special.

Doug H.

5. timberfaller

God says too! Yes you can "commune" with God anywhere, anytime, eyes wide open and head not bowed down also.

"forsake not the assembling of your selves" Hebrews 10:25

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Cap, I couldn't help but wonder what happened to you to give you the attitude. I know you have a right to your opinion but it is a long way from what most people think and feel. I go to church for fellowship both with people and with my God. The teaching is also important for young Christians as well.

I have never attended a church that I didn't feel that they had my best interest in mind. If I were to attend one then I would help correct that or leave. Unfortunately there are some(crooks) that are in it just for the money but that is usually easy to know or figure out. The damage that they do is really bad. I hope and pray that you are able to have a personal relationship with God. Jackie B.

7. capulona

capulona TS Member

the God I believe in can hear me anywhere. The feeling you get in Mass is the same as one in concerts, sports events and rallies. It is a false sense of power and belonging. When you are at peace with yourself and in what you believe in, then true goodness will come. Peace to you.

8. capulona

capulona TS Member

Shooting Jack - I never had any bad experiences with religion or religiosity across the board, and I do respect your view. Raised as a Roman Catholic as a youngster, I thought it was grand - the cathedrals, the service, the pageantry and rituals were fabulous. As I got older, I studied all the other religions of the world and realized there is more. This is what I would advise all young people - rather than Obey It, Study Religion!

9. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Didn't start this thread for people to argue about wether church is or isn't a good thing. I've seen a lot of things in a lot of different countries that made me doubt the existance of a higher power. I just wanted to share the fact that after 20 I took the step to go back. All I can say is that everybody is entitled to their beliefs and opinions, but that wasn't the reason for the post.Good luck Chuck Hrosik

10. capulona

capulona TS Member

And good luck to you Chuck, may you find what you are seeking.

11. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Thanks cappy. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

12. timberfaller

Chuck,

There are those who aren't happy unless they get an argument going.

There is an ole jewish phase that goes something like this,

"Never argue with an idiot in public, because the public might not know which one is the idiot!"

I've been attending church most of my life and can attest to this. When I have stayed away, life became more hectic, when I returned and did my part, life turmoils got smoother and easier to deal with. And Faith is personal, not a group experience.

The "group" part is what helps get through the next week!

Have a Good Day

13. ouch

ouch Member

Chuck, Don't let the negitive people influence you. The Holy Spirit calls on each and every person,Some pay attention some disregard,Some want to put it off,Hopefully they don't wait too long. At some point God will give you a last chance to accept Jesus as your savior.

If a soul says no that Last and Final time and goes to Hell it will be too late.

I am sure you know this but your TRUE friends will support you in correct decissions and most of us have but a few TRUE friends. Some are imposters, Or friends for a season.

Trust in the Holy Spirit, Learn Gods word and decide who is really your friend. Richard

14. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

I've met some of the worst people ever in a church. When I was working through college, I remember that the worst time to work was Sunday morning after church let out. Those people were horrible to say the least!

15. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Congregating with people of a certain society, in this case a religious one, provides one with an opportunity to grow in that society through interactions, as well as provides a reflection to oneself through feedback from that society. Yes, we can worship in isolation, but in isolation we as humans find it easier to excuse any misstep that we make, rather than work to correct them. I'm glad for you, Chuck.

16. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Very interesting Devi, thank you.

17. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

It's the basic tenet behind extended families, the Amish, and asian society. When you have others to whom you have to answer, you are less likely to do things that you know will cause others to shun you. That's why people tend to conform more in small communities, and people in big cities tend to do a lot more of the things that can get them in trouble. There is too much anonymity.

I started a facebook diet group where we weigh in on Thursdays. All of us but a couple have lost a fairly large amount of weight. The ones that haven't lost are exactly the ones who don't report in on Thursdays.

Just choose your groups carefully. Falling into the wrong ones can be detrimental because of the exact same reason. You will be forced to answer to those people, too. That's how I have taught my kids.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.