1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Did someone buy Remington several years ago

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 27-T, Aug 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 27-T

27-T Member

Does anyone remember a thread about Remington being sold several years ago? It seems to me that there was a thread on here that Remington had been bought out by one of George Soros's company's. I can't recall the details but I remember that there were concerns that Soros's purchase would lead to "back-door" gun control. Does anybody remember any of this?

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Complete BS. Google is your friend.

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Owned by Cerberus Capital Management

Cerberus Capital Management, L.P. is an American private equity firm. The firm is based in New York City, and run by financier Steve Feinberg, who co-founded Cerberus in 1992 with William L. Richter who currently serves as a Senior Managing Director. The firm has affiliate and/or advisory offices in the United States, Europe and Asia.

Firearms — Acquired Bushmaster Firearms, Inc., from Windham, Maine native Dick Dyke for an undisclosed sum in April 2006, and purchased Remington Arms in April 2007.

Under Cerberus direction, Bushmaster Firearms acquired Cobb Manufacturing, a well-respected manufacturer of large-caliber tactical rifles in August 2007.

Cerberus also acquired DPMS Panther Arms December 14, 2007. Remington Arms acquired Marlin Firearms in January 2008. In October 2009, Remington Military products acquired silencer manufacturer Advanced Armament Corporation. These companies were combined into the Freedom Group.

What is Freedom Group?

We are the world's leading innovator, designer, manufacturer and marketer of firearms, ammunition and related products for the hunting, shooting sports, law enforcement and military markets. As one of the largest manufacturers in the world of firearms and ammunition, we have some of the most globally recognized brands including Remington®, Bushmaster® Firearms, DPMS/Panther Arms™, Marlin®, H&R®, The Parker Gun™, Mountain Khakis®, Advanced Armament Corp. ®, Dakota Arms®, Para™ USA and Barnes® Bullets.

Freedom Group is owned by Cerberus Capital Management.

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

The really messed up Marlin but there have been signs of a turnaround..not up to past Marlin quality but seems the really horrendous problems have been mostly resolved and they are back to bringing out the models whose production was suspended until the bugs were worked out in the QC area.....can anyone else comment on their experiences with the other brand names products acquired and used after the Cerberus/FG takeovers?? Also do you know if they moved that products production facility and replaced experienced staff?? Thats what wounded Marlin the worst..they laid off all the old craftsmen, shut down the factory then moved them ..I will always love Marlins but the new guns will never be the same in my eyes and their value below the original New Haven Conn. guns

5. 27-T

27-T Member

Thanks Joe and CalvinMD for your very good explaination of what has happened in the past. As I said, I wasn't sure about the time or the content of the previous post. Thats why I asked the question. Apparantly Skeet Man misunderstood! He might be neck deep in BS since that was his answer to a legitimate question.

Its amazing that a person can come on this site, ask a question, and some jackass has always got to chime in and display his ignorance!!!!!

Thanks again, Joe and Calvin, for your enlightening response.

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

27-T, Don't slam Skeet Man when he answers your question. You were the one that asked a question that has been beat to death on this site.

Soros doesn't control either company.

Yes, it's BS

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Not only has this been beaten to death on this site, it has been beaten to death all over the rest of the internet, and in print. It would have taken less time to run a google search and get the facts than it did to create this topic...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.