1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*Did someone break the 27 yard long run record?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Onceabum, May 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

I heard the 27 yard long run that was held by Daro Handy (505 straight) has been broken by a shooter named Elmo Sippy. Anything to this?

Booger

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Yeah... he got a "cup" for his performance. [​IMG]

MK

3. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Your a little late, April 1st was the first of last month.

Tom

4. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Did the new record holder call "illegal target" evey time he/she got a target he/she didn't want to shoot at? AJ

5. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

booger,,you're only supposed to take 1 of those pills at a time,,,,every 12 hours,,,,read the damn label before you hurt yourself,,,,,,

6. slickhead

slickhead Active Member

The 505 record was all straight aways probably! The man will never have the respect of most shooters.

7. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Yeah, it's true BB. But it was in Minnesota in a marathon, so it don't count. Some whiney-aZZ baby didn't make the state team so they made marathon targets illegal.

EE

8. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Yes it was Pat Ireland

9. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

I once broke 540 targets straight - when I backed over four cases of White Flyers.
    [​IMG]

10. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Roger, none of the people who know him speak that way. Nicest guy in the sport in my opinion. He has a group that shoot poorly set and off time targets that have a healthy hate for him though! Jeff Westlund

11. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Roger, I didn't get to meet Daro, but I got to watch him. He is so infamous that I didn't mention him, but you knew what the joke was in reference to. Maybe history will treat Elmo Sippy better. AJ

12. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Daro Handy is, in my book, one of the nicest, easy going trap shooters I have ever met. I have watched Daro shoot for more years than I care to tell you about, and have never witnessed him do the things many of you say he did. Did Daro turn down targets that weren't pulled on time? Yes! Did Daro turn down targets because the targets weren't set right? Yes! Did Daro demand that the targets he shot at were set legally, per the rulebook, at all times? Yes! Did everything Daro do during these times fall within the guidelines of the rulebook for the Association he was shooting? Yes! Does Daro Handy have the ability to recognize a bad pull? Yes! Does he know, just by stepping up to the line, if the targets are set per the rulebook? Yes! Does Daro Handy have more self control during a shot than any of the rest of us ever did, or will have? Yes! If you want to take Daro Handy to task for his past actions, you will have to take the PITA or ATA rulebooks to task first. He ALWAYS took full advantage of what the rule book gave him, and why not? That's what the books are for.

For those of you that believe that Daro turned down the angle targets so he could shoot straight aways never shot with him and watched as he turned down 3 straight away targets in a row from post 5, only to take the 4th that was a screaming right angle, and crush it. Daro Handy would shoot ANY target that came out of a trap house, as long as it was on time and set properly, period.

There are a lot of you out there that just buy into the old wives tales about the "Legendary" Daro Handy turning down everything under the sun. You can choose to believe what you have been told, mostly by other shooters that have never even watched him, let alone met him, or, you can just look at his records, talk to a few shooters that actually know Daro, and make a more intelligent decision... Whatever you decide to do, it will not change the fact that Daro Handy was probably the greatest handicap shooter to ever shoot the game..... Just my personal experience and knowledge of Daro... Dan Thome (Trap2)

13. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Just to add what Dan said - and having talked with him I agree about Daro being one of the nicest people you could meet. I watched him at Las Vegas shooting handicap on voice release traps. 98's and 99's , and he didn't turn down anything.

14. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

Big Heap wrote: "I once broke 540 targets straight - when I backed over four cases of White Flyers."

Now that's funny! LOL!

15. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

The first time I watched Daro shoot was at the old gun club in Reno NV.He had a huge crowd watching his squad.On his first trap he went strait, but he called for 42 targets.Not one person had a good word to say about him.I know he is a great man to speak with and know.....

16. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Two Dogs,

Did he only shoot the straight aways? I'll bet not. He probably just shot at the legal targets that were presented.

I don't know of anybody that can keep turning down targets and run a house. I can't stay focused that long, can you? I would say it would be a lot harder to break a 25 when calling for 43 targets than it would be 25.

I do have one question. If Daro was so infamous for turning down targets why didn't shoot management send a ref out to his squad to over see things? I would tend to think anyone with a rep like that would be scutinized very heavily.

Just like in racing (competition and a rule book), the one that takes the fullest advantage of the rule book usually wins.

ss

17. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Yes he has had refs watching him.I didn't say he broke any rules, just that he called for 42 targets on his first field.I too think it would be harder to go strait calling that many targets..

18. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Just my thoughts how many of us can break 505 straightaways much less from the 27 yard line on different days at different clubs. Never met the man but know of his need for perfect triggers were made specially for him by Timney. He needed perfection in a trigger and also for targets thrown. Only special shooters have enough control not to shoot a bad target and Big Leo is a master of trigger control he just does not shoot till he is on target great control is what is needed to perform theses feats. There are no secret formulas just exceptional concentration and control.

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Daro didn't break any rule in the book at the time as he alone was to determine whether or not a target was fast or slow!

Voice releases are better at giving a target on time than most people pullers can pull targets yet we still see targets being turned down for either being fast or slow? So, what has changed for turning down illegal fast or slow targets? Nothing really.

Hap

20. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Daro Handy - Did he write a column in a monthly shotgun tabloid in the late 70s and early 80s? If so, wasn't he the one that started the interest in 1 ounce trap loads in those columns?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.