1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Did Radio this AM

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by spitter, Sep 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Not to toot my own horn, but to share the fact that its possible to get positive airtime, I was on Chicago's WIND AM 560 this morning to promote our club's Open House event 9/16. Steve Sarley who does the hour-long "Outdoor Experience" radio program was kind enough to give me a solid 15 minutes of airtime to plug our event.

I have cultivated local media for the past 10 years and it pays dividends. I send press releases to local papers and our city newspaper should have an editorial about our Open House in its Sunday edition (the biggest one). Next week, the Mayor is due to issue a proclamation naming the 16th, Naperville Sportsman's Club Day in honor of our 70th Anniversary.

I would encourage every club inclined to do so, be part of your community - have an Open House, a public shooting day, a trap camp, a media day - something to help the world outside our shotfall zones put a face to our activities. Our programs are family recreation, we need to reinforce that message at the LOCAL LEVEL.

I'm not a media expert, but would be glad to offer my press release word doc. to anyone who would like a copy to use as a guide to develop some.

respectfully offered,

Jay Spitz

2. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Jay,

I made it over to the NSC for the first time ever this past Thursday night. I am sorry that I missed you. It seems like a nice group of guys there at the club. Some of us went to Neighbors after the shooting was over. Something was said about you were out gathering Gander Bucks for the open house.

Forrest

3. spitter

Forrest:

It was my 21st Anniversary and I had to get some dinner home before the wife arrived home from O'Hare on a business trip - somebody has to make the doughnuts! (lol)

I recently participated in an Open House for Gander Mountain's remodeled Geneva IL store, and I was hawking our Open House to everyone who passed my table - I called over to a gal who, it turned out was a promotions manager for GM from Minnesota and she was impressed with our event and offered to provide some "bucks" for the guests. After the event I followed up with her and reminded her of our conversation and that Thursday Night the package was waiting for me when I got home.

Without being specific, let me say that Gander was very generous and our couple hundred guests can each expect to go home with some "bucks" in their pockets!

Hawk your events, call every contact you know, tell everyone you meet - you NEVER know where that next benefactor will come from...

We participate in a great avocation, we need to proudly promote ourselves and offer everyone we know who doesn't shoot a chance to "Step Outside"...

For info on Step Outside contact the National Shooting Sports Foundation
    at www.NSSF.org

Jay Spitz

4. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Jay,
    Are you going to be at NSC today? I will be there mid afternoon.

Forrest

5. spitter

Sorry I missed you - I was there earlier to post the article from today's Naperville Sun and catch up on the tasks we need to finish before the 16th.

Keep on coming out - possibly the 16th, we'll meet eventually!

Jay Spitz

6. spitter

Follow up post...

As I mentioned above we did get a full editorial article about our Open House event. What helped to make the article successful was sending a press release that the columnist could use to tell the story - our story, not his.

It included all the pertinent points and he was able to relay the release as an interview. As a result, I've been fielding a number of email inquiries and as it should help ensure a healthy turnout.

Work your media - they all want news stories, even if it is to discuss election of club officers...

I'll follow up with another thread about the outcome of the event.

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.