1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Did not take offered yardage reductions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by luvtrapguns, Dec 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I was on the 27yd line when I got away from the sport in 1980. When I returned to trapshooting 35yrs later I had to resume my previous 27yd HC. My first year back I struggled with a mid 80's HC average. I was offered reductions but turned them down believing more targets and set up changes would help. Guess what? It did. So far this ATA target year I have shot 300 registered from the 27yd line, 93X100, 94X100, and 94X100. I feel much more a sense of accomplishment than if I would have had I taken the reductions. Work and determination helped, not moving closer.

I'm not passing judgement on anyone for taking or refusing a reduction. Funny thing though is that guys I was squadding with on the 27 a year or so ago have moved up to the 22-24 yd line. These same guys are now taking candy from the babies. I also believe that there should be no such thing as an 18yd HC. Marc

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Nope, I was never offered a reduction. I do know plenty of 96% shooters that shoot their handicap from the 20 now though due to the reductions. Sandbagging at its finest.

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Its the gun Marc. Give credit where credit is due.

I hada decent average form the 26. High 80s to usual 90. But way back when... I was just one of those shooters tha should never have succumbed to release triggers.

Goos show Marc. Good show.

4. luvtrapguns

MIA

No doubt the gun helped. If I said it was my Ljutic that helped improve my scores I would not be lying, so I will not say it. I already have way too many P and K gunners waiting to ambush me, all in fun and good natured kidding (I hope).

I recently shot for the first time the 3200 I bought from you. All in all a nice shooting gun. Marc

5. reddbudd

reddbudd Well-Known Member

Why is it that it has been argued on this site many times that reductions
    should be mamdatory but now anyone who takes the two yards is a sandbagger?

Bud Edwards

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I took the 2 yard reduction to the 25, and like Marc, I got punched to the 27 back in the mid 90's and then my shooting activity slowed way down. I should have stayed on the 27 as moving forward didn't improve things much. I figure getting to the 27 took a lot of effort and $$'s. If someone doesn't like a semi-active shooter remaining back there, well too bad...

Ron

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Well, my answer is of course to stick with one gun.But too, Aaron Holguin inspires me to shoot hundreds of handicap targets per week. With my gun struggles I did slough off this year. And now the weather is the problem. Waiting for spring. I have a minor eye issue to with vitreous detachment. Left eye is over th problem, but it continues with my dominant eye. Eye doc Thursday.

Eye exam came out fine. Just a bit of vitreous near the center of my dominant eye and advancing cataract in my non dominant eye. Cataract in my dominant eye (R) seems the same as before. Correction still at 20/20. Eye doc has a new "photo" he takes of the back of your eye that will show any macular or beginning problems. scored 100% on that. Lucky me.

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

If you enjoy playing the ticket and want a share of Leo's pot by all means take every yard reduction offered.

If breaking a low 90's score from the fence allows some personal satisfaction-good for you. Unfortunately, you're a long way away from winning anything in any major handicap!!

9. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

What about us who havent really done the Handicap game? I have just started shooting trap in 2009 and 2 years of ATA. Now maybe this year if my finances(and health) are better I would like to start some caps. Am I going to be laughed at if I start at the 18 or 20 where ever they put me? I dont think I have shot more then 200 registered cap targets.

Jerry Lewis

10. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Jerry,
    They will start you at the 20 and as a new shooter no one is going to laugh at you. Just shoot a 96 or better and gain some yardage back. Scott

11. luvtrapguns

Jerry, No one will laugh at you. It would be my guess that the majority of HC shooters are at the 22yd line or closer. Every male adult starts at the 20 yd line. Many never make it any further back. You should have no problem finding shooters with similar yardage to squad with. The important thing is to have fun. Marc

12. JES

JES Member

I refused all reductions how smart I was not winning a thing at handicap now I can at least be competive if the average is not there why struggle with it take the reduction!!

13. Joen

Joen Member

Just one thing to think about I did not take a reduction late year from the 27
    and at the local shoots it was very hard to get on a squad that was full, there was not any long yardage guys left, shoot on a lot of 2-3 man squad, was not fun so this year I'm taking it, the ATA makes the rules not me

14. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I turned down my reduction. My competition is the guy I was 35 years ago when I got to the 24 yard line. I'd sure enjoy beating him.

15. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

awhile back when I asked someone at the dollar how they felt about mandatory reductions, (this is a good shooter) and one arrogant sob. He was all in favor for mandatory reductions etc... funniest moment was seeing the list from the ata delegate that he has turned down several reductions from the 27!!! You goboy!!

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Obviously, mandatory reductions are fine for everyone except him. He's not alone!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.