1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Did Federal ever...?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BD457, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BD457

BD457 Member

9-27-12 Thread is now for entertainment purposes only: The shells have been determined to be reloads.

I just picked up 20 boxes of shells that are puzzling me. They are all Federal Gold Medal plastic high brass hulls that appear to have never been fired. The printing on them ranges from 7.5 1 1/8 3 dram to 9 1oz 2 3/4 dram. As far as the crimps go, some are real nice and others are not so nice. That said, most look like the Federals I've seen before, but others are pretty poor for a premium shell.

two of the hulls are quite out of place to me. One says "1982 Grand" and another has the origional printing on the hull all covered in "x"'s from the factory.

I took two shells apart (one marked 7 1/2 and another marked 9) both had the same amount of powder (the powder looked like clays with a few gold flakes) and the shot was the same size (looked like 7 1/2 to me)

My question: Did Federal ever sell factory seconds and if so, did they ever sell in bulk? Or....... any idea about these? My other thought is that somebody loaded new primed hulls, but that doesn't explain the two odd hulls I found.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

During the time that new shells, purchased at the Grand, had to be used for all Grand events, All of the major manufacturers put some kind of marking on each shell to identify it as such. The 1982 Grand was just that. The one with the XXXs on it, I don't know.

Ed Yanchok

3. RFGA2

RFGA2 Member

All the ammo companies sell off their "seconds", but they are not readily available to the consumer. I worked for both Mossberg and U.S.Repeating Arms in the late 70's and early 80's and both companies bought these seconds to use in the factories as "function" rounds. All the case packs were marked "NOT FOR RESALE". Most of the rounds were cosmetic in defect. The powder and shot sizes may have been unreadable but the shells themselves were fine. I was able to get quite a few of these when shooting the Hi Rib Mossberg..

Bob Gibson
    Charlotte,NC

4. BD457

BD457 Member

Thanks Bob. Any chance they were all the same load but different markings on the hulls? like maybe a bunch of #9 hulls got run through the #7.5 machine or 1oz hulls loaded with 1 1/8? That would maybe explain these to me. Also, does the powder sound right or is it possibly Gold Dot (I've never seen Gold Dot so I don't know).

Mike

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Back in the days that you had to buy your Grand competition shells on the grounds, all brands were usually of the highest quality and given special handling by the manufacturers . The loading machines were slowed to insure that quality and they were all marked, in some way, to identify them as their "Grand Runs".

It was part of making the Grand special.

6. BD457

BD457 Member

well then these babys didn't come from the Grand I'm sure......well.....except one of 'em.

7. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

You say "picked-up" does that mean new in sealed unopened factory flats????? If so that's something I've never seen, I had a friend that somehow regularly had access to factory 2nds from Winchester,(usually just goofed up printing) they always shot just fine for him. Ross Puls

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I know Remington used to sell factory seconds. I inquired about them a few years ago, and was told they use them for leagues and such at the Remington Gun Club in Loanoke AR. I would imagine Federal offered the same, and the Xs on the printing would indicate that (factory second golf balls are the same way, and are called X Outs).

9. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Hulls that have all the printing factory X'ed out aren't reloads. Just sub-par factory shells. They perform just as well, just aren't as pretty.

Any chance you can post some pics?

10. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

They sound like reloads to me.

11. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Federal use to sell Seconds to the public. Now I understand only employees can get them.

12. kenf

kenf Active Member

I remember back in the 80's/90's that the guys here that shot Fed Papers would load up on them at the Grand. They all claimed that they were loaded hotter than what they could get locally.

13. BD457

BD457 Member

By "Picked Up" I mean aquired from a guy who got them from a guy who had them for a while. They were NOT in factory sealed flats.

After careful examination, I think they are reloads or loads more likely loaded from new Federal hulls. The hulls REALLY look unfired. When I cut a few apart there is no discoloration or evidence of ever being fired. All the primers are uniform. Not too sure about the Grand and the X out shell though, they appear new just like all the others. I'd post pictures, but my kid has my camera for school work and phone pictures are about as useful as our President.

Mike

14. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

15. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Reloads...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.