1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Did choke tubes help your score

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by short shucker, Aug 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Did any of you that had a good fixed choke gun that sent it out to have choke tubes installed actually see any increase in your scores?

ss

2. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

At trap? NO!

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

NO!! But, I ruined a perfectly great Winchester Super X1 full choke trap barrel by having choke tubes put in...

Now it's my sporting clays gun....

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

My opinion only - I would never buy a fixed choke gun but I also would not have tubes put in one. I think that Beretta & Browning factory chokes are hard to beat/ I like the flexibity of tubes and want to add that Wrights are some of the very best also. If you are a registered shooter then flexibility of tubes may not help or make a difference, I shoot games and sporting clays

5. perazziuser

perazziuser Active Member

You are only making 16's harder on yourself if you shoot the same choke there as you do in the Cap's. Open up as much as you can, play with it. 100's are much more impressive than 99 puffs...

Jeffrey Holguin

6. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Jeffry Holguin,

I'd be interested in hearing about your experience with open chokes. I've been shooting a 20 ga with improved cylinder and that little thing will smoke targets. I'm thinking, why not try the same choke in my 870 12 ga?

Joe

7. 870compman

870compman TS Member

I wanted a choke tube barrel for my 870 Comp and I finally found one but I don't know. I had a hard time getting my first 25 straight with it. I patterened it with my old barrel and the patters looked the same. I finally installed a modified choke tube and I got my 25 straight.

I am thinking of two things;

1. Remington put an exceptional barrel on these Comp guns and it is hard to improve on exceptional.

2. I was over comfident with the choke tube barrel and did not shoot it as hard as I did my old barrel.

The moral of the story is: If it works don't fix it. I have learned this time and time again with shotguns.

Dale Wolff

8. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

Chokes were not designed to improve your singles game. They were designed so you could shoot the same barrel from the 16 and the 27 without compromising (full at 16's is a compromise for most).

And they were designed so you could shoot trap AND skeet with the same gun/barrels, AND you could take on varying targets in sporting clays.

9. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Started shooting trap a couple of years ago. Started with choke tube guns.

Purchased a Fixed choke shotgun, scores immediately improved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.