1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dick's vs. small local vendors - shame on US!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by crusha, Dec 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crusha

crusha TS Member

There was a lot of heartache expressed on another "Dick's" thread, regarding someone who dealt with a Big Box Store, and felt like they came away gipped (which I'm sure they did).

Let you in on a little secret:

Do you remember the story about the Scorpion and the Frog crossing the pond? The Scorpion did what he did, because he's a scorpion.

I'm sorry for you that the big Scorpion Big Box Store didn't honor the conversations you had with their part-time employee (who is now gone). But this is a good lesson for you on what IS a contract, and what ISN'T a contract.

There is probably somebody at a Gun Club who is willing to help out a group like yours. But no - we had to run off to the "Big Box Store" to get the cheapest price, didn't we?

American Big Box Stores are not Mom-and-Pop apple pie institutions. They are a dog-eat-dog business.

Trapshooting costs money. When I was a kid, I spent 15 minutes pulling a reloader handle on a Mec 600JR. for every round of trap I shot. I quickly learned that it took longer to load the shells than it did to shoot them. I kept doing it because I loved it. With my limited finances at the time, I learned I was going to have to make a real commitment if I was going to keep at it. I guess that sort of thing sounds archaic to the "X-Box 360 Generation."

If Scorpion Big Box Stores are your only option for getting shells at a price you can afford, maybe you need to reconsider. Generations of Trapshooters grew up learning the sport off of money earned from mowing yards, sacking groceries, and (gasp) loading traps, without Adult Organizers to put it all on a plate for them. In the last couple decades, we've gotten away from that, and maybe that's the real problem with this sport.

In any case, I believe that other thread was nothing but whining by "Little League Parents." I for one will not support it in any way. You took a ride on the Scorpion and got what you got. It may sound hard to believe, but "the kids" will survive this. Some of them may even learn to pull a reloader handle, and keep shooting trap anyway. Life can be tough like that.

Or, you can be a real Role Model for Youth by taking Big Don's advice on that thread, hiring a lawyer and clogging up the courts with your (non-existent) case. Now that will be a character-builder for the kids.

Do yourself a favor if you're in this situation: talk to one of the people like Shooting Coach tries to point you towards, before running off to the Big Box store. They may be able to help you if you just talk to them. There are businesses out there that have the interests of shooters at heart. And yes, they need to make a profit to survive. Is it so horrible for "the kids" to learn this lesson?

Everything in life is getting more expensive. If the only way to give the kids what you want is sell your soul to the Big Box, maybe you need to re-evaluate your recreational priorities.

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Amen to that!

3. mike moncilovich

mike moncilovich TS Member

The scorpion here is Gander as 3 hunting & fishin shops have shut down here along with help of wallmart. Primary 1 was Hornicks who after near 100 yrs in business where customers would leave feeling they got a real deal on many items had to close their doors. They where local people who lived here, went to church here, new the cliental my name and also put the money back into the local economy. How's that song go "tear down paradise and put up a parking lot"...Mike

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Gander is a clothing store that puts out sporting items for bait. The prices indicate they don't care if they sell them or not.

My 38 dollar box of bullets elsewhere was 58 dollars at Gander.

But I trade guns there, they do have a fairly active used department. Unfortunately, Sportsmen's Warehouse does not deal in used guns. Usually no money changes hands when I deal with Gander.

HM

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Walmart and dicks have both put many good local sporting goods stores out in my area. It sucks as a consumer when you get stuck in the middle. I really do not care which sport or activity you choose. When you can save money to "play" more you will. For me the more I can save on shells the more rounds I can shoot at ATA and local level. I do not know the details of what happened with this particular dicks vs people? I had a problem with dicks when I ordered a gun from them. after 12 weeks I wanted my deposit back and cancell the order. They refused. I asked them why it takes a local ffl 10 days or less and them so long. Later it was found out the gun was sent to another store and sold? I buy my ammo at dicks only because I save 15.00 case on average compared the the 1.5hr round trip to the next best price. I used to order through the club, but that now is no bargin. We would have to buy a trailer load to get close to dicks prices. Sucks, but it is reality. The same thing goes on between the mom and pop stores. Im not going to pay 1500.00 here when its 1250.00 there.

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Well, I'm not making judgments on any of the posters here. I did buy 20 odd flats of STS and Nitros at Dick's, just in case I didn't have time to reload. I printed a slew of $10 off ammo coupons and they honored them.

I shoot reloads. I buy the bulk of my components from the guy who does the most to keep my home club supplied with clays, shells, etc. at the best possible price. I bought my gun from him. It's my way of saying thanks for the efforts you make in providing me a place to shoot. That being said, I'm not above snatching an occasional bargain from CAC at the PA State shoot.

I bought my air pistol and rifle and still buy supplies from a shop owned by a 75 year old kook a 40 minute drive away, because he loves the sport, is a fountain of knowledge, and is willing to share it. Is he the cheapest? Not by a long shot. Is he worth it? Yes.

I feel the same about the local shop I buy all my pistol and rifle supplies from. It's just neat to have a place where you can go in, chew the fat for a while, probably buy something you really didn't need, but have an enjoyable half hour.

You won't catch me in WalMart. I don't go to Home Depot unless the tool I need is not available elsewhere, or the lumber I need is out of stock at the local lumber yards. I buy all of my hardware at 3 local hardware stores because they have a wider selection of what I need, know where it is, know how to use it and freely share that info. I like shopping at places that care about me and my needs, even if it costs a few pennies more.

7. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Well, I am a small business. really small...it's just me. I handle all the phone calls, shipping, bill paying, etc. I may not always have the cheapest price, but I will do my best to get it for you. What you get with me is someone who cares. Not someone who is going to give you a catalog, and tell you to order. I want my customers happy, and I will guarentee that.

Matt - Woodson Enterprises
    "The Scattergun Store"
    Phone: (270) 804-5454

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Matt has pretty good prices too. He has figured out a way to compete with Dick's.

Pat Ireland

9. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

I am also a one man shop. I sell Winchester Super Targets and Estates for 61.00/case. I have sold 3 cases in the last 3 months even before the rebate at Dicks on Gun Clubs which are 59.80/case. People were buying them there. Then when they have a gun or loading problem they come to me. I even deliver to the local clubs. At this rate I see why small shops like mine close. Its true with almost all the stuff I sell. Most of my items are less than Gander, Bass Pro and the other Big stores.

10. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

BUZZ,great post,we had a mom and pop sporting goods store not far from me that had been in the family for over 100 years.When I walked in they greeted me by name,not sir,or can I help you.If they were busy with a customer,I would go and get what I wanted.One day I went in to get duck hunting shells.Came time to pay and I had $22.00 on me and no check book.The owner said get the hell back to hunting,we will write it down and you can pay the next time you come.

No, they did not take credit cards,there replie to this we didn't buy this dam place with a credit card.

Sad to say they closed the doors about three years ago.

A great loss to everyone.

Bo

11. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hey Buzzgun,
    Very well said. Reloading, to me, is kind of a "mind cleanser". I hardly ever shoot factories, b/c they are loaded too hot, in general. I bet never once has Dick's or other stores like them had a seminar on the shooting sports and invite shooters from the area in to suggest what the store should carry. I hate that. Who at the store (or corporate) makes the decisions on what stock to carry? I've been burned too many times walking into a store with a rebate in hand, or a coupon for an item, only to find out the place doesn't have that in stock. Then, I ended up buying something that I really didn't want. Has anyone out there ever picked up used wads, run them through the washing machine, dried them, and loaded them? I did that when I first started. Don't do it now, but to keep shooting, you have to do some extremes sometimes. Anyway, your thread was well stated Buzzgun.
    all the best, Patrick

12. crusha

crusha TS Member

We tried to re-throw broken pieces of birds and shoot at them...it was hard to break that habit, once I started shooting over "real" electric traps.

One time when Sheldon Hostetter was getting ready for a shootoff at the Grand, somebody told him the broken ones that came out were free "practice" birds, and he should go ahead and shoot them...I've never been able to shake that thought. For some reason, having a small piece come out, and "smoking" it, was the greatest feeling.

When the sportie clays people came up with minis and midis, I thought, "hot damn, somebody was listening."

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Things change with time. Not always for the better, but they still change. When I was very young (a long time ago) there was a small grocery store in every neighborhood. I would be sent to the store on a regular basis and always had my purchases put on our family bill. Many of the buildings that used to be neighborhood grocery stores remain but the businesses are long gone.

Small gun shops face a serious problem. When I buy shells, I want a large volume of one load and I can buy them cheaper than a small gun store can purchase them.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.