1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dicks Sporting Goods

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mo Bill, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mo Bill

Mo Bill Member

Went into Dicks today to buy some Federal Top Guns.I had called ahead to
    verify they had them. I took two flats to checkout and was immediately
    asked for I.D.(i'm 78 and was paying with credit card).Next they wanted my
    birthdate( month,date and year).I refused both and swiped my card..up..
    popped"are you a U.S. citizen yes or no".That was it!I told them I would
    pass and left!

I don't know if the Govmt is involved with all the questions..or is it a
    nationwide Dicks company policy..or just the local store manager.This is
    in eastern missouri.

I won't be going back.

Has anyone else run into this?

Thanks
    MO Bill

2. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

I do go through the ID thing at our Wal-Mart and asked if the ammo was for a rifle or hand gun. I did not mind as it was a good price. Now I hear that we are getting a Dick's here in town and am very excited. I hope it it as good as I hear. I love the idea of finding Fed Papers and other quality ammo as walmart does not carry STS's or Top Gun's here. Also I am intrested if there will be a good selection of arms there.

Lord I hope that they have someone that knows what they are talking about behind the counters.

3. revbook

revbook Member

It's been about a year since I bought "Factory" ammo at Dick's but never had that happen here in Western PA.

Don in PA

4. cle

cle Member

To kgp.........

Dream on........

Dick's, Gander, Cabela's, Bass Pro......... all the same. Guns & ammo are the draw to get you to buy Chinese clothing with 200% makeups. And none of them will pay a decent enough wage scale to attract clerks who know ANYTHING AT ALL about what they're selling.

5. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Well I will just have to see what they have an learn from TS.com.

Any of the Dick's have reloading goods???

6. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

store policy most likely....I saw this very same experience happened to another guy on a VA gun forum last month. He was asked on the "checkout" pad whether he was a US citizen or not. This was in northern VA.

I think this policy is a result of Dicks not wanting to get caught up in the US/Mexico border garbage with ammo being bought in their southwest stores by non-citizens (Mexicans) and having it brought across the border into Mexico. Having this blanket policy for all of the stores helps them avoid:

1.) being labeled discriminatory if they just instituted this policy in their stores bordering Mexico

2.) litigation brought upon the Mexican government, which the Mexican government seems to like to do against US companies involved in the firearms and ammo trade

The proof of age thing is another blanket policy that a lot of businesses have, particularly ones that serve or sell alcohol, tobacco and other age restricted items.

7. gsw7880

gsw7880 Member

I live in Illinois, the toughest state of all. I shop at a local dick's sporting goods all the time. The only thing I have to show is my F.O.I.D. Card and I am done. Every couple of months they have a sale on gun clubs 46.99 out the door per flat not to bad of a deal.

George

8. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

OHHH I can't wait to have one down the road.

BIG 5 Sporting Goods really stinks!!

9. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

Apparently there is local latitude in pricing. The shotgun ammo deals in my area at Dicks (Raleigh NC) went away last fall. AA's were on "sale" two weeks ago for $7.99. Gun Clubs were on sale last week for $5.69. Both are about a buck higher than last year.

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Just requiring their employees to abide by Federal and State laws.

Age restrictions and citizen restrictions.

What's the stink? More black helicopters?

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

You probably look like a typical American, you have to dress like a Muslim, Mexican, or gangbanger and they won't ask you anything ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

The Dick's stores here in Fort Wayne do not have anywhere near the selection of ammo or guns that the local Gander mt. has. They don't take trade ins, so no used guns, and maybe 1 out of 10 behind the counter knows anything about guns. They carry no reloading supplies, metallic or shotgun. A small bottle of Hoppes #9 will set you back $8.00.

When they run a sale on ammo they will be sold out in a day or two and refuse to offer rain-checks on ammo. I don't like Gander either, but they will offer rain-checks and have reloading supplies.

13. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Dicks sells ammunition in two stores that I'm aware of in California, both in the central Valley where's there's a high population of hunters. I guess the hassle of selling gun related products in Californa outweigh the monetary return.

Surfer

14. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Mo Bill,

Was it the store at Mid Rivers in St. Peters or the store at West County Mall you had the problem with?

15. Salt

Salt Member

Purchased some AA's at Dicks in Indy not to long ago, no questions, they just wanted my money. Salt

16. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

I think this is a pretty recent policy at Dick's... I was shopping there about 2 weeks ago to get some last-minute camping supplies (selection sucks for that too, but that had some of the things I wanted) and picked up a few cedar arrows for my son while I was there. I had to show photo ID and provide birth date to purchase the arrows, and the store manager was standing behind the register muttering about how he hated the new policy. This was in Illinois.

I wouldn't be happy about Dick's moving into town... I've never seen one that carries a good stock of ammo that I'd want to buy, and you don't find many deals. They mostly have low-end junk in the hunting and fishing departments.

--Dan

17. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I, too, wouldn't celebrate the coming of a Dick's. We have several in the TampaBay area and a newer one in Clearwater.

None has a very decent stock of shells. I stopped today hoping there might be a sale.

There are some STS at $8.99 per box, a few Nitros at 9.99 per box, AAs at 8.99 per box, and the shells on sale this week----Gun Clubs at $5.99 per box. All plus, of course, 7% sales tax.

I can (and do) buy the Remingtons and Winchesters cheaper at the Silver Dollar. The Dollar doesn't carry Gun Clubs, but I can buy them on-line for $5.99, usually find free shipping, and pay no tax.

Dick's rarely have bargains and it's been at least two years since I purchased shells from them.
    They no longer offer the 10% discount for buying a "case" (ten boxes) and the $10 coupon one can get by taking their on-line survey after making any purchase cannot be used for ammo among many other things.

So, unless you really live out in the middle of no-where, you probably won't find Dick's of much use.

Bob

18. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

BigM-Perazzi
    What are you talking about. The federal laws on ammo have not change in several years read your own link it was dated 2007. This is a CYA for Dicks. Also remember your dealing with people that don't know "diddly sh_t" about their products.

19. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

Gander Mtn asked my age for the first time today buying a flat of shells. I laughed and told him

20. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Mo Bill, so they ask a few questions that won't make any difference in your life. You walked out in a huff without the ammo. How's that working out for you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.