1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dick Medley Memorial

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AMMOBRIAN, Apr 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AMMOBRIAN

AMMOBRIAN TS Member

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of attending the memorial service for Dick Medley, owner of Ponsness/Warren. Dick was one of the most respected persons I have ever known. As expected, the place was standing room only with a lot of tearful eyes. As the speaker of the service was giong over all of Dicks great things he has done, it was hard to believe only one person could due so much.

I very much enjoyed the eighteen years I worked with Dick. He was the type of person that everyone should get the chance to work with. Always up beat, he had a way about him that people always wanted to do their very best. He always said" a day lost is lost and can not be made up".

It was also great seeing and talking to the crew of Ponsness/Warren. They are all super people (they had a great leader)and will continue with Dick watching from above. I wish them the very best and look forward to using the new machine.

We will all miss Dick Medley.

Brian Steele

2. TjayE

TjayE Member

Sorry to hear of Mr. Dick Medley's passing. He does have a good crew working at the Ponsness Warren factory. I am sure we will hear from Whiz White and his dealing with P/W. I mean these as positive remarks. I am reloading on three different P/W reloaders. Model 900, 2000 Platinum, and an 800 plus. I am looking forward to purchasing P/W's new shotshell reloader in the near future. Tom

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Hi, Brian - nice to see you are still out there.

I had planned to fly to the funeral, but Wayne told me yesterday is when the get together was held in Lewiston. Not really a funeral, but more of a memorial service. The Lewiston Tribune was nice enough to keep me posted on the obituary. I couldn't get a flight that soon, but wanted to get there and then spend a couple of days at the factory bothering Wayne and Tania. Not sure how I could/would have been able to do that.

I just spoke to Dick a day or so prior to his heart attack. He wanted me to invole me in doig a schematic of the Patriot manual. In fact, Wayne and I talked about that today and he indicated that you did quite a bit of that.

Wayne has been burning the midnight oil and week-ends trying to get the Patriot tweaked to his satisfaction so shipments can commence. We talk daily and discussed the new handle design today.

He and I want to get one going for the Spolar too, and it looks like that is a GO. I had a couple of ideas for the primer tray buffers replacement design.

Wayne has been a tremendous positive in getting some great design ideas into place.

It is so sad that Dick won't be involved. And, since Karen retired, Tania has moved into the office for accounting. She, of course, followed filling Jean's shoes. Tania is such a nice young lady and a great problem solver. She even called me this morning to ask how I wanted something shipped. She is always looking out for me, I just love her. I think it's time again for the pizza man to make a Friday early delivery!!!

Hope your bullet business is going good "guns" for you!

Jim "Whiz" White

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Here is the obituary as it appeared in the Lewiston Tribune:
    =============================================================================================================<BR>
    Richard (Dick) Medley, 72, passed away unexpectedly on Thursday, April 7, 2011, at St. Joseph Regional Medical Center in Lewiston.

Dick was born Oct. 18, 1938, at the family home in Weiser, Idaho. Dick was the second of three sons born to Isom and Dollie Medley.

Dick attended grade school in Weiser and Riggins. He excelled in sports and graduated from Salmon River High School in 1956. He began logging with his dad in 1955 near Pollock. Dick married Glory Wisenor in 1957. They made their home in Riggins and were blessed with two sons, Mark and Jeff, and a daughter, Raine, who died as an infant.

In the early '60s he worked for Salmon River Logging. Dick moved his family to Camp 60 and Pierce in 1966, where he was partners in the first tong-throwing machine. He kept busy as an independent contractor skidding and loading logs. Over the years, he earned a reputation around the Northwest for his remarkable and seamless operating skills.

Soon after a divorce in 1973, he purchased Fromelt Logging and formed Medley Co. He logged in the Pierce area and throughout the Northwest for the next 15 years.

On April 14, 1977, he married Janice Province, which included the blessing of being dad to a son, Steve Province. Ambition and adventure led Dick and Janice to pursue several other business ventures including gold mining in Alaska from 1983 to 1985. In 1985, he founded Medley Co. Cedar Mill, which today is a three-generation-strong company that continues to be operated by Dick's son and grandson.

Upon liquidating the logging portion of Medley Co., the allure of a partnership in a shot shell reloader manufacturing company in Rathdrum, Idaho, Ponsness/Warren, captured Dick's interest. After becoming the sole owner in 1989, Dick and Janice moved to Rathdrum to operate and expand the company. Although Dick and Janice relocated to Lewiston in 2000, Dick remained an active part of this one-of-a-kind innovative business, which still operates today by an exceptional group of dedicated individuals. In the '90s Dick was also involved in several residential land developments with his brother throughout Idaho, including Redheart Ridge at Lenore.

From their home in Lewiston, Dick and Janice were able to be closer to family. Dick's brother Gary and wife Jeanne, and his children, Corey, Nikki and Hope, considered Dick not only as a brother and uncle, but as a best friend.

Over the years, Dick and Janice made many wonderful friends as they enjoyed trapshooting, golfing and traveling together. He was highly competitive and excelled at trapshooting and golf, winning many awards, including delegate for the State of Idaho Amateur Trapshooting Association. Being an avid hunter, he was also instrumental in making sure his grandsons bagged their first bucks.

His love was keeping active, whether it was working hard or playing hard and being surrounded by his family and friends. He left us on a sunny day, while working in his beautiful yard.

Husband, dad, brother, grandpa, uncle and friend - you will be greatly missed. We love you.

Dick is survived by his beloved wife, Janice; brothers and spouses, Gary and Jeanne Medley, and Don and Myrna Medley; sons and spouses, Mark and Mary Jo Medley, Jeff Medley, Steve and Shawn Province; and grandchildren, Ryan and Janel, Wade, Shane, Annette, Lucas, Beth, Katie, Alex, Jacqueline, Emma and Rachael; as well as numerous nieces and nephews.

He was preceded in death by his father and mother, Isom and Dollie Medley; and his daughter, Raine Medley.

A celebration of Dick's life will be held at 2 p.m. Tuesday at the Clarkston Event Center, 841 Sixth St., with a hosted luncheon.

In lieu of flowers, the family suggests memorial contributions to the Lewis-Clark Animal Shelter, 6 Shelter Road, Lewiston, ID 83501.

5. R_Shrode

R_Shrode TS Member

Brian,

I'm sorry to hear about Dick. I know he thought as much of you as you did of him.

Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dollie medley idaho