1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Diana,Keman or Estate shells ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rhymeswithorange, Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

I've shot maybe 40 cases of Diana/Kemen, zero problems except for one shell which was missing a primer.

2. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I like the Estates. They are essentially a Federal and even have the Federal smell. I have shot a lot of them with zero problems.

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I like the Estates.

No misfires/problems.

Reload with Federal components.

Got mine (bought 200+ flats) @ $28.00 per (no sales tax here in Delaware).

Curt

4. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I'll no longer use Dianas in the winter. Several "bloopers" per box. Have had lots of 25s in the warmer months. Never tried Estates but sorta like the Federal 100 paks if I'm too lazy to reload.

Kemens worked fine in the summer but have not shot them in the cold (under 30F)

5. Baber

Baber TS Member

Kemens are great. Our club has sold 1000 or more flats without probems

Tom

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Never shot Diana but the Estates pattern much more uniformly than the Kemen in my XT with IM. Must be the 2-piece wad.

MK

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If you are going to shoot in colder weather, get the Federals/Estates. I've experienced cold weather "bloopers" with the UEE products. Some of these off sounding shells were well under 800 fps over my chronograph when cold. That's a long cry from the advertised 1200. The Estates did much better. I have also noticed many base wad migrations in the UEE hulls. If you shoot a gaspipe, it's something to consider.

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Kemans are bad in cold weather. Won a bunch in Florida but the weather was in the 20's and 30's had several very weak shells, cost me a couple of birds. Therefore won't shoot them again. Used Estates and no problems.

Don

9. batman1004

batman1004 TS Member

estates a great singles and doubles shell and handicap to about 24yds but perfer fed plastic or paper for 27yd. the keman diana are weak at any distance. geo 3

10. Lugerville

Lugerville TS Member

My son shoots a lot of the Estates with no problems. 2 3/4, 3 dram work good even in the real cold weather. They do have a HDCP in 1oz and 1 1/8 too. They are made by Federal so have the same performance as the Top Gun Federal brand.

11. 3357

3357 Member

Keman uses a single base powder which is no good in cold weather, of the three you list I would use the Estates. I have not tried the Diana shells. I know the Estates work in any weather.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

I prefer Estates. Diana and Keman will not eject well from my gun. In warm temperatures, I doubt that many could tell much difference between the three brands but if it is a little cooler, Estates seem to work better for many. I was at the shoot last week where Big Don won a case of Keman shells and he had a few weak shells in 4 boxes-- the remaining 6 boxes are for sale at a cheap price.

Pat Ireland

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

atajohn

The hull separation issue is usually with the Federal Gold Medal hulls. The Estates are a different configuration with a rolled/pressed paper base wad. In the Estates, I've seen the tubes pull out from the head, but never on a new shell. It was only after several reloadings with slower powders. I've only seen it a few times, so it does not happen often. There was no problem removing the separated tubes from the guns, unlike the issue with the Gold Medal hulls.

14. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Don't go with Kemen H Cap shells unless you have a recoil reducing stock.....they kick worse than a mule!

15. JLJ0422

JLJ0422 TS Member

Shot kemens all last winter so far this winter in NW IL not a problem in 10 flats, federal wally worlds a bunch of mis formed shells that would'nt chamber. Joe

16. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Estates: Yes.... Kemen: No..... Diana: Absolutely not!... Dan Thome (Trap2)

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

They're all better than any of us shooters.

18. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

After 5 shoulder pounding shots with the Kemen Handicap shells I was looking around to see if I was on Candid Camera, after two fields my collarbone was bleeding, never felt anything like that before or since. Go with the 3dr Estates.

19. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

In warm weather, I doubt you can tell any difference between them. I have shot them all, and they all break targets well. As long as I do my part.

Matt

20. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

John, Diana shells have 3% antimony in there lead, the Kemans and Estate's have 5-6% antimony in there lead. As stated above Diana and Kemans will give some guns trouble and may have trouble in cold weather. I like the Estates, as they are a the best of the discount shells in my book. Nuff said. Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

keman shells