1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Diana and Kemen Shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by leadhead358, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

Does anyone shoot these shells all the time?? Pros and cons and some pricing you paid. Thanks Tom

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

Have been shooting the Kemens for 5+ years they are great. They are the best value out there. Cost is about $55 per flat.

Tom

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Not familiar with the Kemen's, but, I am familiar with the Diana's. The Diana's were pure junk! The ones I had weren't even good enough to shoot from the 16 yard line. We cut some open and you got a surprise package when it came to different sizes of shot in each shell. Powder charges were all over the place. Many had a difference of between 1 and 2 grains in one box. Several bloopers and failure to fires. When I bought them, they were running about $41.00 per flat. That was a couple years ago. Never again!!.. Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I spoke of the Kemens last year after the Florida SS, I bought some Kemens for the Caps at the Silver Dollar,,,,,now I am a big guy, and shoot a LOT, but those Kemen H.Cap loads....man they kicked the CRAP out of me, by the end of the first round I had a bit of blood on my collarbone! Buyer beware! NEVER again....

YRMV, but I doubt it!

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I won't shoot them. Won't buy them. Won't recommend them. Some people will and are rabid in their support of the manufacturer. I have my reasons and they are substantial.

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Have seen many pallets of them shot without problems. They do not like back bored guns in inclement weather, like many price point European shells.

I have loaded numerous 55 gal barrels of these hulls. Love 'em.

Okay, Quack Shot, inquiring minds want to know. How did Diana rain on your parade?

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

Ignore Quacker.... He believes your gun will blow up in revolt just because you thought about shooting some Kemens. He will give you an bunch of photos showing you how the base wad moved. Pure BS. I have shoot 1000's of these without problems. Its the standard shell at my club and we have shot 1000's of flats and no problems. Now I shoot the 24 GM International load and don't have a problem with the recoil... some people do. These are great shells.

Tom

p.s. I have such fun pulling Quackers chain.... he is such a nice guy.... just like Obama ....thinks he knows what is right for you.... now let the flames begin

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Shooting Coach

Numerous basewad migrations observed for a number of years would be a start. It appears that all of the UEE (or whatever they call themselves these days) manufactured shells have the same issue. It appears in the factory load during the first firing. Poor cold weather performance and/or consistency in most of their shells, even in standard bore barrels. Also the lack of concern and arrogance shown by their representative when contacted about the issue. There's more, but that's all I need to make such a decision for myself.

TBaby,

I have numerous examples of basewad migrations in these hulls. I've posted pictures of them on this forum and have sent samples to the manufacturer. I even offered to send you a bunch too, if you remember correctly. If it's BS, then why would you admit that the problem exists? Check your previous posts about loading them on a Mec, poor cold weather performance, etc. Also you have misquoted me again and have been dishonest in that regard before. Where have I ever claimed to have knowledge of a gun that has "blown up" or damaged because of this issue? If you recall in previous threads, I'm not the only one to have encountered the issue. Do a search and check for previous threads and you'll see the people that have agreed with me and/or also encountered the issues. I simply don't use Eurotrash shells or reload Eurotrash hulls. I'd much rather use a hull that stays together and intact after firing the shell.

9. Baber

Baber TS Member

Oh... I just love pulling his chain. More BS than Obama.... But the real surprise is that he Quacker will reload the HS AA'a that really did have a base wad problem... He is right... he never claimed that there was a blow up with these shells and I have never said he did.... he did claim they might blow up! If you believe this guy the sky is raining basewads.

Kemens are great shells. The best value on the market. Ignore Quackers rant and have a great time shooting a quality product.

TB

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

TBaby,

Never did see a AA basewad loosen or migrate. Never saw one first hand. Saw hundreds of the UEE manufacturered hulls do it, first hand. Had horrible results with UEE manufactured shells in cold weather. First hand experience, no rumour or friend of friend stories. The company reps I contacted didn't seem to care about these issues. It's obvious they didn't take steps to fix the issues, since it's still happening. Winchester changed their design. They listened. If I start noticing basewad migrations in the AA hulls, I'll rethink my position. I have never seen one, first hand or otherwise, except for a couple of pictures posted some time ago. I've reloaded many thousands of the AA hulls many times with no issues. I've also loaded many thousands of Remingtons without issues. The first hundred of UEE manufactured hulls I had planned on reloading showed about 15% basewad migrations. Never bothered to load them, since a basewad migration is what I consider to be a serious hull failure. I inspect EVERY hull I load, Inside and out. That many failures in a batch of hulls needed further investigation. Looking through a considerable number of hulls, it was a common failure in several brands manufacturered by the same company.

I've tried to remove the basewad from a few once fired AAs. It could be done, but only by destroying the hull in the process. Even tried it on the suspected "Boxed" AA marked hulls. Same results. I tried to remove the base wads from some UEE hulls and they came right out with little or no effort.

There are way too many things to worry about while shooting trap. My Ammo isn't one of them. I've shot many Winter leagues in real Winter weather. My ammo wasn't the cause for a miss. I have confidence in the shells I load, or on the odd occasion, purchase. If I purchase shells, I like to buy something that I would not hesitate to reload. Rios, Kemens, Dianas, and the rest of their Eurotrash brands are not on my list.

You are quite welcome to buy and shoot whatever brand you want to. It's a free country. I prefer to shoot shells I have confidence in, so that's my choice. I also choose to reload hulls that I have confidence in. You can load whatever it is you want to. That's also your choice. I have stated some substantial reasons for my choices. If you don't agree, you are free to your own opinions. However, that does not excuse you from exhibiting poor manners and making claims that I have made statements that I had not made.

11. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Liked the Kemens I shot. Had several low pressure rounds in the winter with Dianas.

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I find the Kemans a very nice top of the line economy load, and right up there with the Estate's. I have shot many flats and am very happy with them. They have had a few problems in cold weather. Keep them warm right up to getting on the line and they should be OK (Maybe). The Diana's are a lower end economy load and I will not shoot them. Break-em all. Jeff

13. Juantoomany

Juantoomany Member

I shoot the 1 oz 7.5...they work great...no probs..It's the winter time here now..will buy 10 more flats next time I get the chance..

14. Baber

Baber TS Member

Quacker

Just a few comments. I have a friend who reloads the Kemens like me. He saw the so called base wad movement in a few shells. HE Gave me a couple and I reloaded them without problem. he now advises that it's been over a year since he has seen anything the even remotely looks like a base wad problem.

As far as I am concerned this is a non issue. I will reload about 10k of these hulls this year without difficulty. Keep spreading your BS and I will just that more to reload.

I have never exhibited any poor manners towards you nor made any undocumented claims. You are the one that claimed that you said your will blow up I never did. Real blowups on reloaded ammo that don't have a wad obstruction are very rare. Never seen one although I have heard of a new attributed to them but in reality did not check out.
    IN short this is great ammo from a reliable worldwide manufacture so stop,with tbe BS.

Tom

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

TBaby,

It's about personal preference and reasonable cause for concerns. Like I said you can shoot and load whatever you want. I'll stick with what I prefer. I also think it's not a real smart thing to deliberately load hulls that have shown a gross defect such as a base wad migration. Glad you shoot in Florida and not on the line with me.

Go back and read read your previous threads and posts. You most certainly have shown me disrespect. You continue to put words in my mouth and call documented and factual statements BS. When I know that the issues have been resolved, my position on their products may change. Until then, I will not buy, shoot, reload, or recommend their ammunition. That's my preference and you should be able to agree to disagree. Your personal attacks are not appreciated and will not pursuade me to change my position about a product that has failed to meet my expectations for safety and performance.

16. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

We shoot alot of Kemen at our club.. Never had an issue.. I reload the hulls once.. and pitch them.. The Diana is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy down on the list of shells I'd shoot..and never in cold weather..but in warm or hot weather they shot OK..but not very consistent..

My coach shot up many pallets of Kemen..and he is a stickler for shells.. He's never had an issue either.. But.. to each his own..

All Good.. Mike

17. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

At one time, I had a Mason Jar full of AA basewads collected around the trap houses of Field One and Two at Tenn Clay Target Complex.

I was told they were hit by a lawn mower, and not to worry. Hulls were back at the line, and no damage from a mower blade.

I have posted pics of the jar, but have since thrown it away.

Also, I have loaded tens of thousands of Diana/Rio/Kemen hulls without incident. These, both paper and plastic, are my preferred hull to load.

They will go about four times, but I load them once and toss them. I inspect EVERY hull, including a look see inside. Never seen one single wad where it should not be.

AA hulls are the ones I worry about. I have had dozens of those basewads in my hands.

18. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Never shot Kemens,..but have shot Dianas...they worked fine for sporting as long as the targets were not long distance..the patterns really degraded with distance..I am just fine with Walmart Federal cheapies since I really have lost my interest in reloading since components prices have risen to the high heavens

19. DTULL

DTULL TS Member

ARGUE ALL YOU WANT BUT SHOOT WHAT YOU LIKE.

20. Baber

Baber TS Member

Quacker

I want to lay this issue to rest. See the post above about the AA baswwad problems. Was aware of that and other problems reloading this hull so I wont reload them but I don't go around badmouthing them like you have done with Kemen. Here is the deal. You shut up about your problems with Kemens and I won't needle you about your BS. Ok?

Kemens are excellent shells and they dont deserve you trashing them. So shut up and I won't bother you.

Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.