1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Diameters Help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Seitz231, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seitz231

Seitz231 Member

Can anyone tell me the outside diameter of Mec Powder Bushings ? Also can you tell me the inside diameter of a 1/2 oz & 3/4 oz shot bushing ?

Thanks in advance,
    Skip Dillin

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The top of the powder bushing is .795. The bottom of the powder bushing is .681. My Mecs don't have shot bushings. HMB

3. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

dillin4:

The I.D. of a Mec single stage bar (#302) for a half ounce of shot (012) is 0.44" top and bottom.

sissy

4. Recoil Sissy

hmb:

Many moons ago I shot skeet with two friends that are talented and retired machinists. They were always making creative shooting stuff for themselves and each other which they always shared with friends.

One of them made several sets of SHOT bushings (7/8 oz. thru 1 1/8 oz.) to fit MEC bars. They worked exactly like powder bushings. We used them in 502 bars for Mec 12 or 20 gauge progressives but it would be the same for single stage loaders and any gauge.

Basically, he enlarged the shot hole in the bar. He then machined shot bushings whose O.D.'s matched the larger shot hole. The I.D.'s of the shot bushings were cut to whatever size necessary to drop 7/8, 1, 1 1/16, or 1 1/8 oz. of #9 shot.

It's such a simple concept I've often wondered why Mec doesn't offer powder AND shot bushings.

sissy

The same creative friend bought a used 366 loader that didn't include Hornady powder bushings. So... he machined an adapter bushing. The O.D. of the adapter fit the existing (and much larger) I.D. of the powder bushing hole in a 366 bar. The I.D. of the adapter was cut to match the O.D. of Mec powder bushings. The adapter allows him to use his extensive collection of Mec powder bushings in the Hornady 366 loader. Pretty clever, no?

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

sissy, MEC makes much more money selling bars rather than the shot bushings would bring in. Great idea though!! Hap

6. Recoil Sissy

"MEC makes much more money selling bars rather than the shot bushings would bring in."

Hap, you're right of course, but I'll bet you remember when both ends of Mec bars were fixed and there was no such thing as a bushing.

sissy

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I remember those well sissy!! A new bar to drop a different powder charge, or bore it out! Before I found epoxy, I even used lady's nail polish to build up the ID for less powder too.

I've set up 5 complete heads for my loader and change them out with a quick change screw which holds them on the machine. I can switch loads pretty quickly without going through all the guessing which bushing number to use and weighing powder drops to make sure. I still weigh the charges when using a new lot number powder, just to make sure.

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.