1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Diameter of Cheddite Primers?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AEP, Dec 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AEP

AEP Member

I have been told the diameter of Cheddite primers is larger than Rem. or Win 209's. The other day I was told the Cheddites are now the same. Can someone verify this?

Respectfully Submitted,
    Andy

2. ONE EYE

ONE EYE TS Member

They are the same size. They are harder and dont give when pressed in and shell is now stretched out. Never had a bad one, but they are hard on firing pins. They are hot, you can drop powder charge by two bushing and be faster. I hear you can load a wad only and fire it through sheetrock 10 yrds away....

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

They are standard size 209 primers, if you are talking about the currently available CX2000 variety. There is/was a different version for the European/overseas market which were slightly oversized. These are not imported into the US as far as I know. The CX2000 are a little longer than the Remingtons and don't have the same taper/profile of the Winchester. They are NOT directly interchangeable with any other primers. Use reliable data for the exact components you are using. Component substitutions are usually not recommended, especially for inexperienced reloaders.

4. Browning Boy

Browning Boy Member

If you get Trapshooting USA Magazine. The November issue. There is an article about all the different types primers. They list all the dimesion. The conclusion was that there isn't any difference in the size of the primers. They are all pretty much the same give or take a couple thousands. It's small article but very informitive.

George Ware

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

The article with chart should become available on the TrapshootingUsa website after the publication of the next issue (about mid Dec).

--- Chip King ---

6. Eyemissum

Eyemissum TS Member

This should answer some questions. Point A is the measurement at the top of primer. Point B is the measurement taken as close to the flange as possible.

Primer Brand Point A Point B
    CCI .239" .241"-
    Cheddite .238" .243"-
    Federal .242" .241"-
    Fiocchi .243" .243"-
    Nobel Sport .242" .242"-
    Remington .241" .240"-
    Rio .245" .244"-
    Winchester .236" .242"-
    Wolf .238" .242"

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

(More readable version)

Point A is the measurement at the top of primer. Point B is the measurement taken as close to the flange as possible.

Primer Brand Point A Point B

CCI .239" .241"-

Cheddite .238" .243"-

Federal .242" .241"-

Fiocchi .243" .243"-

Nobel Sport .242" .242"-

Remington .241" .240"-

Rio .245" .244"-

Winchester .236" .242"-

Wolf .238" .242"

8. Sargon

Sargon TS Member

I never messured Cheddite so I dont know the actual size. The did not feed worth a damn in my P/W so that was it for me. Life is to short to save a couple of bucks only to fight the loader every time I used them.

9. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

I tried Cheddites for the first time this past trap season and will likely stay with them as long as I can find them for sale. I haven't experienced any problems at all in loading or shooting them.

10. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

A lot of Ford parts are made in France also. The entire transmission on my Ranger was made in France. Hastings barrels are made in France. I just don't have the $30 to $50 extra to spend on 5000 primers.

11. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

I believe Cheddites are made in France but right now they represent the best bang for my buck and since it's my money, I only have to please myself. To each his or her own.

12. Tim Lee

Tim Lee Member

I've been using the Cheddites for a couple years now and love 'em. Even when primers got "hard to find" for a while I could still get Cheddites at a decent price. With the Winchester 209s more readily available now, I'm still seeing $50 per 5000 diff in price.

my .02,

-Tim

13. shootman

shootman TS Member

In the last months issue of either Trapshooting USA or Shotgun Sports there is an artcle on primers and it gives all the dimentions on all the popular primers. BOB

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've been using Fiocchi's for a couple of years now. No problems at all, and the price is very good. As a matter of fact they flow through my Dillon's primer feed better than any other primer I've used.

15. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

Do Cheddites seat ok in STS once fired hulls? I have had some problems with Win 209s seating fully in STS. Anyone else experience this? I use a MEC Grabber.

Jim

16. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Shipbuilder, you may need to lower your primer ram/powder drop slightly until you get the properly seated primer. A simple adjustment but do it in small increments....breakemall....Bob Dodd

17. wlc

wlc Member

I have also experienced difficulty seating Win 209 primers in once fired Remington hulls. I switched to Cheddite and have had no problems.

18. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I'm on the third transmission in my Ford Ranger, if that's representative of French products I'm gonna' keep using Remington 209P's & Winchester W209's in my shotgun shells.

John C. Saubak

19. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Yes shipbuilder,

I too have experienced what you described. That's why I use only Remington 209P primers in Remington STS & Nitro hulls. Remington primers in Remington hulls........Winchester primers in Winchester hulls.

Compare the two primers and you'll see why, Remington primers are slightly shorter and more rounded at the nose than Winchester primers.

John C. Saubak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
209 shotshell primers diameter

cheddite cx2000 primer diameter

cheddite primer diamiter
diameter of 209 cheddite primer
diameter of 209 primer
diameter of shotgun primers