1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dialing in POI

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fomocosho, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fomocosho

fomocosho TS Member

This is my first post so go easy on me. I have been shooting trap for a few years but would consider myself a newbie as I am just starting to get serious about shooting. I have shot some decent scores lately but cannot seem to get consistent centered hits on targets, I get a lot targets that break into 4 or less pieces. Im wondering what i should do to try to get better breaks? I appreciate any advice.

2. Pre-64

Pre-64 Banned User Banned

Pattern your gun at 13 yards 1) know where it's hitting - make adjustments where needed 2) just knowing where the guns Point of Impact in will build confidence and help you to understand any misses....

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Forget the 13 yards it will not tell you patterns, this must be done at 38-40 yards.

If your gun has choke tubes pattern a few of each tube, then decide which one has the best pattern.

Try several different Mfgrs shells too.

Then pick the best patterning shells by Mfgr.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Practice. A lot.

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Since you are not asking about patterns, focomosho, I'll tell you my advice for answering the question you are asking, how to tell why you are only getting breaks into four pieces or fewer.

We will assume your choke is OK, which it is as long as it's modified at least and your shells too, since they are not less than one ounce.

If any of our assumptions aren't true, fix that now.

Then read the link above and do as much of it as you can.

OK, now you have a gun that shoots straight right to left and somewhere at least a bit above the point of aim maybe more than a bit. How are you going to tell how high to make it shoot?

Well, you know four pieces is not cutting it. So try shooting a little higher. You can do it; just move the gun on or above the bird some - not much, just some. Now do it below the bird. Any difference? If shooting a bit higher than you have been leads to better breaks, then put some moleskin on the stock and try that. If shooting under the bird works better, then shoot under the bird an appropriate amount. You won't want to do that forever, but for a while it will work (if it works) and at least you will know what you want to do next, if anything. The point is, before you do anything expensive or non-reversable you want to find out what you should do. An adjustable stock
    is nice, an adjustable rib nice but dangerous; just go at it slow and in an organized manner; keep notes, good luck.

Neil

6. fomocosho

fomocosho TS Member

I have patterned it at 13 yards and its centered left and right and about 3" high. I have been using a full choke and have also tried an IM with no noticeable change. Ive tried numerous brands of shells with not much change either, they were all 1145-1200 fps 1 1/8 oz 71/2 or 8's.

The comb is adjustable and Ive tried adding and removing up to 2 1/8" spacers with not much of a change. I did notice that I seem to get better breaks when shooting handicap rather than singles but it isn't much. I don't know if that means anything.

Thanks for your help

Dave Serrahn

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Another question you must answer for yourself is this. Are you shooting the clay while it's on the rise OR are you shooting it at the clays vertical peak? The best POI for any shooter can't be answered accurately by anyone except the shooter him/herself by trial and error in finding what POI works best for them and their personal timing to make the proper connection on a moving clay.

Hap

8. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

First of all, welcome to the site !!!

I did the same thing TheBigSki suggested a couple of years ago.

What a great thing that was suggested to my wife and I by one of Canada's top shooters (but not BigSki).

TheBigSki's method is tried and proven.

We adjusted the combs until we sootballed them, then a little higher so we were topping the targets. Then we moved the comb back down just a little at a time until the sootballs came back into play. We locked the combs in place, and went to shooting the targets from there...

I might add that is good to have another person who can "Read the Breaks" stand behind you so he/she can see if a right or left adjustment of the comb needs to be done also.

Good luck !!!

Dave

9. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I have never had much success using thebigski method. I can get used to a ridiculously high setting on straight-a-ways that doesn't work on hard angles at all. The angles will determine the poi setting should be.

10. himark

himark Well-Known Member

POI a board, then do as bigski says. Lock straight aways and apply what Neil said making minor adjustments and noting the results. You will zero in until reaching ink ball and then confidence will go up in your gun and yourself knowing where it POI is.

11. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Another opinion......When you shoot are you looking at the target or shooting like a rifle( using the bird/bead relationship). Stay consistent on looking at the target.

TheBigSki's method will start you on your way. After getting good hits then fine tune on the angles....One thing to remember is small adjustments and only one at a time Make your adjustment and give it some time, don't be changing everyday .It will take a while but when you're done it will be worth the time and effort.

12. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

If you're gun is getting better hits on handicap with your current configuration, try lowering the comb for singles.

13. fomocosho

fomocosho TS Member

I focus on the bird when shooting, I really couldn't tell you where the bead is when I pull the trigger. I will do as suggested this weekend and hopefully I get some positive results.

Thanks for the help
    Dave

14. Smitty82

Smitty82 Member

Watched some guys shooting on the twenty seven at a shoot last weekend. Nobody had missed a bird after three posts. On the last shot for one of the shooters his front bead fell off. The next post he only hit two. He actually went and got his doubles gun to finish. Alls I am saying is you probably see the beads more than you think. It's crazy what all your eyes and brain put together in 1/2 sec. Nick A.

15. bigeoj

bigeoj Member

fomocosho, 1" high @ 13yds.=3"centered pattern height @ 39yds. 2" high @ 13yds.=6"centered pattern height @ 39yds. 3" high@ 13yds.=9" centered pattern height @ 39yds. And so forth. Also referred to as 60/40;70/30&80/20. Set your gun @ 1' high @ 13yds.(60/40) go to the field with the trap set on straight aways post three and see how the breaks are with that setting. If not to your liking change the set-up to 2" high @ 13yds and go through the process again. I'm sure you get the drift. When you get the brakes your looking for on the straight aways, change the trap back to occillate and shoot a practice 25. It takes a little time but shouldn't be more complicated than that. After you've done all this testing you can pattern your gun off a rest @ 40 yds with different choke tubes to see which produce the best (to your liking) pattern, but that's a whole differ story! Hope this helps. Joe

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If using the BigSki method, you will be right on with the straights but way above on the hard angles. But it's a good starting point. Do the same with hard angles, and you will see what I mean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.