1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Diagnosisng a Potential Problem - Browning O/U

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JPM, Feb 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPM

JPM Member

I need help diagnosing a potential problem with a Browning O/U. I looked at a gun today toward the possibility of it's being purchased by my son-in-law. All looked good except that when the barrels are off the receiver the cocking lever cannot be lifted up to lock the top lever to the right. The gun assembles and disassembles with no problems. Barrel assembly requires that the top lever be held to the right but when this is done all fits correctly.

When the owner tried to lift the cocking lever he said something about holding the gun upside down and when he did that and shook the gun something sounded loose in the receiver.

Any insight will be appreciated.

JPM

2. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

I would take the stock off and see if something is broke or loose.

Dave

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Where the hammers still cocked when you tried this or did you pull the trigger?

All the Citoris I've ever had rattle a little when you shake them, its the way the inertia block is positioned inside the receiver.

Wayne

4. JPM

JPM Member

Wayne, I don't know if the hammers were cocked or not. I did not try to pull the triggers. I'll try both ways with my 28 ga and see if I can reproduce the issue. Thanks.

JPM

5. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

If the hammers are in the cocked position, just hold the lever to the right and lift up on the tongue in the bottom of the reciever with a screwdriver, holding it up, release the lever. It will stay up and allow you to put the barrel and forearm back on.
    If the hammers are in the fired position (down) do the same as above except the tongue will be very hard to raise up. Put the screwdriver under the tongue and force it in the up position, this will cock the hammers and let the bolt lever stay open. I have used a popcycle stick under the screwdriver to protect the hinge pin when having to pry the cocking lever back up.
    See it this works.
    Bob

6. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I always store my Citoris uncocked. It was never necessary to cock them before reassembly. I just held the top lever to the right and placed the barrel set on the hinge pin and closed the action. No problems.

Bluedsteel

7. JPM

JPM Member

Thanks for the responses. I don't have access to the gun as I was simply looking at it as a potential purchase by my son-in-law. The owner lives about 180 miles away from me. But it sounds as though the issue is not one that should enter into a decision to purchase or not purchase. Thanks, again.

JPM

8. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I'll clear up all of the above answers, which are correct.

It's highly likely the gun was in the fired position. And yes, you can still assemble the gun with the hammers fired.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.