1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

DHS AMMO BUY

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by steve mainus, Jul 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve mainus

steve mainus Active Member

Did everybody hear about the latest and quite possibly most over the top sign yet that B Hussein is going to use the Federal Government, through regulations and policy, to destroy our beloved country as we know it. And quite possibly try to kill us all in the process.

The Department of Homeland Security( headed up by our second giant of justice,Janet Napolitano)has awarded a contract to ATK(Federal ammo) to buy, hang on for this one, 450 million rounds of .40 S&W ammo. WOAH! I would post the link, but there are a ton of them. Google DHS ammo and read on. They are also looking for 175 million rounds of .223. I wonder what they are up to?

As a side item, if anyone is bored, look up how much .40 S&W the FBI, Secret Service, Border Patrol,Federal Marshals and Joe Arpio all have on hand. Guys, we are in trouble. As we like to say at the trap range, "seek cover and gain fire superiority" Be well.
  2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

You may have to copy and paste the link, rather long.

http://thepatriotperspective.wordpress.com/2012/04/16/why-dhs-ordered-450-million-rounds-of-40-sw-from-atk/
  3. steve mainus

I just did a little more plunking around. I saw an article in the Las Vegas Review/Journal about this. Evidently this happened this spring. The article was from April 2012. They did, as a comparison, an ammo buy for thr U.S.Army. In 2010, they bought 200 million rounds of 5.56(.223) for use in Afghanistan. This was a 12 to 15 month supply.
  4. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

I'm not too excited yet about this news. It's been on the net for months. I'd be more concerned about what DHS is DOING, not necessarily what they are BUYING.

Here's some things to consider:

1. This is a contract ESTIMATE for a period of years. Such contracts often run partially filled and delivered. The rest gets sold as surplus through contract overruns. I've bought tons of 9mm NATO and 5.56 mm NATO this way for 15 years. You even get the original ammo cans with wired shut / lead tab sealed with a DoD spec slip inside.

2. There are a mulitude of alphabet soup agencies now under the umbrella of DHS to include the Coast Guard, Marshalls, BATFE, etc. When you take into account ALL of the armed agents, officers, personnel, etc. who are issued .40 caliber pistols - the number of rounds per person over 3 to 5 years works out to ABOUT ... 1,000 to 1,200 rounds per armed person. That's NOT a helluva lot of ammo per person to practice, train/qualify on over a 3-5 year period, plus carry on duty. In fact, that sounds about pretty darn average for a typical law enforcement training/qualification program over 3-5 years.

I can blow through a 1,000 rounds in two or three afternoons leisurely popping away at a steel gong swinging from a chain, or a plastic jug suspended from a nylon rope at 25 yards after I'm done shooting 200-300 rounds of 12 guage at trap.

So, unless DHS is DOING SOMETHING that causes alarm - I wouldn't be "alarmed"
    about a typical gov't contract to supply a half dozen agencies over a 3 to 5 year period.
  5. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Nothing to get excited about, I am sure that the multitude of agencies under DHS are ordering bunches, knowing they will not get the full order, just hoping to get what they need.

My old department of 2,000 officers would routinely order 500,000 rounds of pistol ammo and about 100,000 of rifle ammo, knowing good and well we would only get a partial order as ALL of the ammuniton companies were geared toward the military and LE was down on the list for filling orders.

Oscar
  6. steve mainus

The question why was exactly my point. Maybe I didn't make it clear.I also have a lot, load a lot, shoot a lot. I also added the stuff about the riot gear. This all strikes me as very odd. The number of rounds was the trigger. Why is the question. I thought DHS was mostly administrative. I thought all the other agencies were stand alone, for the most part.

They may umbrella under DHS from time to time, but I believe they all have their own budgets, and procure their own supplies. I fully understand buy in bulk and save, but the articles only mention DHS.
  7. WS-1

WS-1 Well-Known Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again, "WE have the right and the responsibility to preserve, protect and defend The Constitution of The United States of America against all enemies, both foreign AND DOMESTIC."

It's not about hunting, it's about LIBERTY.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.