1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DGSC August 23 ATA Indian Shoot Problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by K-Hornet, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K-Hornet

K-Hornet Member

On Sunday afternoon during the caps a yardage shooter standing at the line shot a ground squirrel (chip munk) because it was bothering him. There were young shooters and young children with their familes (5-6yr.)present at the shoot also. We had a trap boy setting targets in the house and a trap girl scoring when this happened. The trap girl did not know what to do but later she told her parents about the event. I was not present because I had to leave after the singles and was called the next morning by the president of our club and told about it. We will be having a board meeting soon and will discuss this.

I guess what I would like to know is if this has happened at other clubs and what was done about it? I know what I would have done If I was present, but I would like to hear about other recourses we could persue?

Al Maly ATA #0762116 & DGSC Director

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Mount the sucker on the clubhouse wall, with a little sign that says "Alvin - 2007~2009."

Heck, one of Indiana's finest shooters dusted a pigeon off a traphouse roof at Mason, Mich. several years back...a letter of apology to the ATA and it was all smoothed over.

3. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Al, here's all I could find that pertains.<br>
    <br>
    ATA rulebook, bottom of page 16. 2. It is Shoot Management’s responsibility to remove any competitor who is conducting himself/herself in an unsafe manner. (Repeat violators should be reported to the Executive Committee for further
    action.)<br>
    <br>
    page 17. 11. As a safety precaution, test shots will not be permitted under any
    circumstance.<br>
    <br>
    Harv.

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Crap like that opens the gun club up to legal problems. You might have to send him down the road.

5. Lurefish

Lurefish Member

I would find a rule like Harvey stated above and hang my hat on it. Also if he/she is a club member I would take it a step further. Ken Jeffries

6. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Not to be a killjoy but besides being unsafe, the next thing somebody does is shoot a random songbird (federally protected). Paints a pretty poor picture of trap shooting to kids, non-shooters.

I shot at DGSC for first time Saturday, didn't see the incident, enjoyed my visit.

Dave Eberhart

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

If the act occured...

review page 8, Sec2, C5 - "Who commits acts resulting in artifically low scores" - I'm sure everyone shot their best after that incident!

Turning to page 40, add in Sec12, B1a, B1f, B2b, B2c and possibly Sec12, C1h?!

Is there "season" for ground squirrel? The alleged individual blantantly ignored "game" laws as well as acted in an unsportsman-like manner, purposely endangering any number of folks, putting them at risk.

I also attended, DGSC hospitality was once again, excellent!

regards all,

Jay

8. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I've shot many a squirrel in my day, but the fact that the guy performed an unsafe act by firing his gun without notifying anyone and with a person downrange is enough to give him the boot.

Kevin

9. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

A little off topic here, but I have to compliment the conduct of DGSC and my fellow trappers. The event was extremely well run with excellent targets, good sign in, and very professional trappers. All in all, it was a great shoot.

I also had a new shooter with me (12 years old), and the welcome my fellow trap shooters gave him (in compliment to the DGSC members during the entire conduct of the event), literaly warmed my soul.

Thanks to all for a great day!

BTW - I agree with you Roach - that kind of stuff opens a can of worms in addition to being unsafe. I would have walked off the line and left the event had it occurred on my squad.

10. BLACKDOG

BLACKDOG TS Member

This is what is wrong with our country, We have 20 year's being killed in Iraq and other cesspools all over. We are worried about a ground squirel, we all need to GROW UP AND LOOK THING'S THAT ARE REALLY IMPORANT.

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

levi----different can of worms all together. We can't let this be the kind of conduct that our sport reflects. I have killed a many a critters in my day but at the right and apropriate time. Im sure the ground squirrel could have been dealt with in a different manner at that time. The offender needs to understand what he/she did wrong and suffer something for poor judgement.----Matt

12. thrillr89

thrillr89 Member

Do We know who this individual is? I for one do not want to be squadded with a guy so easily "bothered". Dave

13. t-bar

t-bar Member

14. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I assume it was a registered shoot. A complaint should be filed with the ATA. Let them determine the punishment. May just be a reprimand.

15. happy

happy Member

Talked to a squad member who saw the incident and he said the person shot a dragonfly that had been flying back an forth all day. Just shows how many stories there is about the same incident. Needless of the story no one should be shooting off a shot down range.

16. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

happy,
    I was at that shoot and no I did not see the guy do it but I have to say anyone who says they where shooting at a bug is either a liar or really stupid! Who the hell thinks it is a good idea to shoot a bug let alone an animal at an ATA shoot. If that happened when I was on the squad I would have stopped everything and bitched up a storm until he was thrown out. It is not only unsafe but it sets a poor example for young shooters, other shooters and those parents and spouses watching. People sometimes do stupid things and should pay a price for it.

David

17. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Bravo, Ditti.

18. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Before you hang anyone you better find out if it really happened. To try him in the court of TS.com is similar to a lynching.

Don

19. K-Hornet

K-Hornet Member

We were not putting him on trial on this web site, only looking for any input about infractions like this at other clubs, and what was done about it.

We have interviewed other shooters on the squad, that were waiting to shoot and people watching that saw what happened. The person was finishing on station 5 and was on his way to 1, stoped at station 2 and told everyone to hold tite, made a statement about the ground squirrel and shot him(in not so many words)... The young lady who was scoring went over and picked up the critter and though it into the bean field. The scorer was a youth shooter, one of many present that day helping out with the shoot and reported that information to her fellow shooters and her parents, that is how the ATA staff was made aware of the event.

Now I am no saint, and I have done some stupid stuff over the years that I was sorry for doing, but I have had to pay piper when I was done. This person will have to be disaplined because we have to show zero tolerance for safty. Also as adults we have to lead by example to the young shooters coming up and the general public. He will be expelled from coming to our club and what ever, but in doing so we want to be sure the the punisment fits the crime and not go over board or be too soft. That is why we were asking for input from fellow shooters to help make a proper discision. Al

20. 458 WM

458 WM TS Member

Let the ATA make the decision - It will cause less trouble for your club and members. If the repremand is to hard or to soft - you won't upset those on either side of the fence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.