1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DEZL PICKUP MANUAL OR AUTO/

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by harpo_old, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harpo_old

harpo_old Guest

most the manuals are in six speed , that might help a little on fuel milage but if you do much town driving you might get tired of shifting gears. I have a bro.in-law that raises cattle and pulls a 35 ft. cattle trailer and uses a dodge cummins with auto tranny and has had no problems...

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

no mileage gain- in fact on most tests it is rated less mpg with that engine

that auto transmission is nearly as bulletproof as the allison

I think the auto is the way to go in those big trucks

Gene

3. nobody

nobody TS Member

I like the standard trannies better, just because you have the ability to choose what gear you are in. I have driven a 7.3 ford with an automatic from time to time, I don't like it because when towing or going up hills it is always shifting trying to find the right gear.

4. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Tinman, I own a 2005 and a 2006 the 2005 is a 4 door long box 1 ton 4x4 stick the 2006 is a reg cab long box 3/4 ton 2 wheel automatic both have diesel 5.9 with 3:73 rear ends. The stick out performs the auto on gas mileage by 4 to 6 miles per gallon. I have been useing dodge diesels since 92 the sticks get better mileage period,not my opinion, fact. Bill

5. swamp rat

swamp rat TS Member

For the Dodge truck go with the stick. The autos are a little weak (to much torque for the auto). I have a 2002 that I bought my truck new with the 6 speed stick (H O Cummins) 5 speed is reg Cummins. I get 19/20 mpg with it at 60-65 mph. Its alot of truck more than I need. I have added 4" turbo back SS exhaust and a new air box which help the turbo spoil up faster and helped the mpg a fuss. Any question let me know I will be glad to help.

6. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

sticks are ok when you need them but, what do you do when you just get tired of shifting....stopping and starting.......??

life is too short.

tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.