1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DeVault will be unbearable

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dickgshot, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Dennis will be walking around with his chest stuck out so far all the buttons will be popping off his shirt like the guy in the Smilin' Jack cartoon. (if you're under 70 you won't know what I'm talking about.)

A DeVault fitted stock and rib perched atop a Blaser over and under in the hands of Bill McGuire destroyed the field at the National Sporting Clays championship in San Antonio last weekend. His 287/300 won by 3 birds against a
    field of over 1,500 shooters. On the final day, down by one bird, he ran a perfect 75 straight (which is not exactly like shooting 75 straight in trap.)

A popular win by McGuire, a personable and well liked shooter - and a feather in the cap of the equally personable and well liked Dennis DeVault.

2. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Great report Dick...

I like Dennis too!!!

milt

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I think they need to move him back 3 yards!!! Congratulations!!

4. setool

setool Member

Well Dennis, You did it again !!!! You keep this up and, well, you WILL need more shirts.

Congrat's,

Mark Schneider

p.s. - most everyone at my club, Greene County Fish & Game who has seen the Stock set you made for me have been DROOLING.....

5. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Get your orders in now for 2012 or there may be a waiting list.

Congratulations to both Bill and Dennis. This is an excellent example of why a properly fit stock benefits everyone.

Joe

6. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

If I may, this is a great thread for me and thank you from the bottom of my heart. Yes my wife had to go out and buy me 4 new shirts today. I would like to thank Bill Mcguire for 11 loyal years of sticking with our company. Bill has a ton of other choices in stock makers he could be going to but has chosen us to work and develop his shooting with. I am as proud as a new dad and really appreciate the opportunity to see this all happen. Also a tremendous thanks to my wife and wonderful crew for all of their work and support. You might not know this but I am very tough to work with. Imagine that?

Dennis DeVault

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Congrats to you Dennis, and crew, and also to Mr. McGuire. If that is the gun you posted pictures on here a while back, then that is a work of art in a Master shooters capable hands.

Congrats again to all involved!

ss

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Yeah!! What SS said above^^!!

Hap

9. johnjohn91387

johnjohn91387 TS Member

Well Done, Dennis!

John Malcolm

10. revbook

revbook Member

Yeah...what tigman said....more eyecandy!

11. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

Well done Dennis You're great. Pat.k.

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Here's some pics that Dennis posted on here of the gun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ss

13. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

OK just a couple of pictures and thank you all very much. I am not sure what gun he shot so I have shown both guns that he currently has. The first one is the one he has had and the second he got at the Zone 4 in Atlanta GA.

Dennis DeVault

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

A slight correction has been called to my attention. McGuire did not shoot
    a perfect 75 straight. Unlike trap which is shot 25 to a field, sporting clays
    is generally all pairs. So, as creative an accountant as I am, even I can't make any whole number multiplied by two come out to 75. It was 75 out of 76, still an amazing score under pressure to win a championship.

As you can see from Dennis's pictures, the line between trap guns, skeet guns, and sporting clays guns is almost non-existent. Also, McGuire shoots
    an almost completely pre-mounted gun. If you haven't shot sporting clays and are considering it, your doubles gun will probably work just fine.

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I like the personal touch on his rib! McGuire. Maybe shoulda been McGuires Lightnin Pole!

Dick, we expect nothing less form a certified numbers cruncher guy!! Good catch!

Hap

16. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

What was wrong with the K-80 sport rib? Weight, slope on the rib?

I know McGuire shot a K-80 with a solid add on rib for while, and then the adjustable rib became polpular. Was the pitch on the factory rib too shallow?

17. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

dickgtax- Not true. Bill (along with a few others) did run a parcour. There are 4 parcours, 75 targets each, for a total of 300 targets. For your assumption to be right, the course of fire would have to have been 4 parcours of 76 targets, for a total of 304, which is not the case. I don't know how they got to that number, but I would imagine that there were plenty of singles included, not just report and true pairs.

18. tomlieb

tomlieb Member

Dennis, Great job, I'm glad you are getting the recognition you deserve. Bill McGuire is one of the greats and I'm sure he has his pick of custom stockmakers to choose from. He did the right thing when he picked you.
    Tom Lieb

19. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Setterman,

If I recall my reading correctly, Mr. McGuire was looking for a particular rib height that simply wasn't available. Dennis proceeded to build him what he wanted and the end result is a good one.

ss

20. Clayshooter08

Clayshooter08 Member

That's why I shoot a MACHONE, it's awesome and swings real well...it doesn't hurt that he makes a perfect stock and they are cosmetically beautiful as well....can't wait to see the new O/U, hurry Dennis!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.