1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Devault stock fitting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by roolan, May 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roolan

roolan TS Member

When I told the guys at the range I was going to fly to Ohio to have a stock made they said why would you go,all that way from Seattle. Well I did and it was worth every penny and the effort. I spent two days with Dennis and his crew building a stock that fits ME and absolutely shoots where I look. You start with a wood mock up of your stock and a can of bondo and from there Dennis gives instructions to Tracy and he adds bondo and begins to shape the stock. You do this a number of times till Dennis and you decide it looks good. Step out the back fire a couple of rounds into the woods to make sure no bumps to your face. Then it's out to the range. Being a fairly new shooter I got a lot of instruction as well as making sure the stock fit me. Dennis thought about my fit overnight and gave changes to Tracy next morning. Then we patterned all my barrels and the overunders to make sure they all shot same POI. Then back out to the range to shoot doubles. Dean Debow Dennises partner in DOUBLE D SHOOTING CLINICS joined us. I learned so much and my stock blank worked so well. It shooting easy. Dennis and wife Cindy were so nice to me and Dennis treated me like I was special. I will never buy another gun without having Dennis build me a stock for it. Dennis sent me home with the bondo stock to shoot for a while to be sure before he carve my piec of wood. The guys are all expecting a beautiful new stock when I show up,this morning. There going to say thats what you got for all that effort and money. I thought the term handicap referred to increased yardage. What I learned from Dennis is handicap is having a gun that doesn't fit you.

2. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Great story and writeup. The way it's done to a "T", from one of the best. Congratulations and good shooting. Just a thought; pick out the greatest blank Dennis can supply and let Cindy do her magic in completing a distinctive, yet elegant masterpiece for you. Thanks for sharing your story, and we can't wait for the eye candy Dennis will surely post.

best....mike

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

But, did you pick up any stock washers for chango???

Sorry, couldn't resist..

4. ms_yuan

ms_yuan Member

ROFLMAO -- good one, BigM.

5. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Getting a properly built stock is money well spent! In the long run it saves you the most money. Less practice to shoot well. less fatigue. Less money spent on lessons or new guns.

A properly fit stock is "priceless" even if you paid with American Express.

Joe

6. Josephdog

Josephdog TS Member

I have done the same as roolan, but only traveled about 250 miles. The experience and the attention to detail was extraordinary. I look forward to doing it again, and the better half has an appointment with Dennis for a fitting in at the Ohio State Shoot.

I have purchased 3 sets of the expensive(?) comb spacers, and will do so again if necessary. I think they're great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.