1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

(((DeVault Industries & our Customers)))

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dennis DeVault, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

To all of our valued customers. Due to the after affects of Hurricane Ike we are temporally shut down. Since deregulation we no longer have the repair work force that we once enjoyed. Almost all of the repair crews have been sent down South. As of now the only means of communication for me is my cell phone. The number is 330-936-5102. To all of our customers that have called we have no phone service and we apoligise for any delays in service. They are telling us that power may not be restored until this coming Sunday. I tried renting a generator and purchasing one but all of those units have been sent to Texas. I am sending this message from my house. We have electric and internet service here at home.

Thank you for your understanding,

Dennis DeVault

2. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Dennis, I understand your frustration my family in Cincinnati area is also without power, but to say "deregulation" is a cause? You would prefer the government to run the utilities? Not being confrontational just want you to think about how you worded it.

Scott

3. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Hang in there Dennis, and good luck!!

milt

4. zinger

zinger Member

don't worry Dennis, we're still without power here in Slippery Rock. Now they are telling us it could be Friday. Not good at all

5. steele

steele TS Member

Dennis, you have e-mail

6. tp

tp TS Member

Scott, sorry but Dennis is right on the money. We have seen the same thing attempted here. Our Public Utilities Commission has a great deal to say about staffing, repair response times, etc. because the utility companies are always trying to consolidate their operations (read cut costs which impacts service). Deregulation eliminates that regulatory oversight. It has nothing to do with the brave men and women who are out in the field working long hours under terrible conditions to restore power.

7. 1oz

1oz Member

TP ,
    So True Couldnt have said it any better

X Lineman from the power co.

8. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

TP, which is it? Our Public Utilities Commission(governmet agency) has a great deal to say about staffing, repair response times, etc. Or, Deregulation eliminates that regulatory oversight. So what you are saying is because the PUC is involved you can't do the service the public requires or becauce of deregulation you can't do the service the public requires.

Your right, Dennis has it correct, they sent the crews to Texas. Maybe someone needs to call them back.

Scott

9. tp

tp TS Member

Scott, sorry I was not clear. Deregulation eliminates the regulatory oversight. One example of an actual case in our area, but the outcome is similar to what Dennis is experiencing. The local utility proposed consolidating several of the smaller service/repair centers to one large center in the largest city in the area. This would have resulted in some layoffs, and much longer response times to power outages in the outlying areas. There would have been fewer crews for repair here, or elsewhere if they had to be sent out of the area. Fortunately for us, the PUC, after public hearings, denied the plan. With deregulation, the utility would have been free to implement their plan.

The summary is, with PUC oversight the utility must meet standards of service for the public established by the PUC. With deregulation, those standards are pretty much out the window.

10. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

My mother lives in Louisville, and is among those whose power was knocked out by the remnants of Ike. Just prior to this, Louisville Gas & Electric sent a number of crews south to help out in Texas and Louisiana. She said they now have crews coming from Canada, Indiana, and Ohio to help out in the Louisville area.

Talk about resource allocation, and mutual support! Those utilities electricians sure earn their money.

Thanks to all of them!!

Best,
    Dennis

11. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Hoosier - Nice to hear from you. Mom's power is still out today, and she lives near downtown. My youngest brother lives in New Albany, and his is still out also. Duke Power said they would probably have power back in New Albany/Clarksville/Jeffersonville areas by Saturday.

I love the smell of fresh pine, but not so close to my head, especially in the house. Good luck.

Best,
    Dennis

12. LV Trapshooting Park

LV Trapshooting Park TS Member

I talked to my guys today and we have 110 power now but no 3 phase as of yet. The power company says that if is not one by Sunday it will ber two to three weeks for full power. I will let everyone know if it comes on by the weekend. Thank you to everyone for your understanding.

Dennis DeVault

13. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Dennis, I certainly understand and hope for the best. We went without power for 10 days after Gustave. Hit Baton Rouge real hard.
    Guy Coates

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.