1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

DeVault gun stocks vs. Weinig

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hammer-time, Apr 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hammer-time

hammer-time TS Member

I had to move most of my target shotguns because of the economy during the winter so I need some help. I do have a 391 with a shortened stock (wifes) here still but its so short I can't shoot it. I'm considering purchasing a stock and I have a few beautiful gun stock blanks I just couldn't stand to get rid of. Will Dennis DeVault make/sell the do-it-yourself inletted rough stocks like Wenig does? Also, approximately how much do these companies charge to rough a stock in if the customer supplies the wood?

Oh, and PS, I'm a carpenter by trade and used to build funiture as a hobby so finishing a project like this would be simple for me.

Thanks in advnce.
  2. mixer

mixer Active Member

A 1997 Wenig catalog I have says "for pump/auto shotgun DIY stocks, using customers wood to machine inlet, $100-$125". That doesn't make sense as you can buy a machine inletted stock in Plain Walnut for $55. I'm sure the prices have gone up in 12 years. Best you contact Wenig for up to date info.

Eric
  3. JerryP

JerryP TS Member

4. hammer-time

hammer-time TS Member

Mixer, that does make sense to me. He probably is able to run several stocks using his wood previously dimensioned with very little setup time. He would probably have additional set up time involved in using a customers wood. Also you have the issue of grain flow with special wood and it takes some time just to sit down and study the correct way to use it.

Thanks a bunch guys!
  5. amboy49

amboy49 Member

I had Wenig build a custom stock for me last year for a K32 skeet gun. Took my own wood. He valued my wood at $1600 on his "chart" ( one step below exhibition grade ) then gave me a "credit" of $600 for my wood off of his price. This net charge was then added to the customer fitting, finish and checkering cost. I never did figure that out ! I know Fred needs to make money, but couldn't understand why the wood I brought to him had an upcharge.

I also sent him my wood to 90% inlet for a Browning Citori. He did the inletting leaving plenty of wood for me to finish the stock to my dimensions. Charged me $325 as I recall.

Lastly, a couple of years ago I had him send me three pieces of wood for a Model 42. I picked out the set I liked best and returned them all - he did a 90% inlet job on the set I had chosen and I had a friend do the final fit, finish and checkering which turned out very nice. I think I paid $600 for the AAA wood and another $250 for the inletting.

All this being said, the workmanship was always first class and I would use the Wenig shop again - I would, however, ask for the price before hand to make certain I understood all the charges to be applied.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how much does it cost for a devault custom stock

how much does wenig charge

used wenig stock