1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Detroit's Kwame Back in the News...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Recoil Sissy, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 11:31 AM (ET)

DETROIT (AP) - Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, a one-time rising star and as Detroit's youngest elected leader, was charged Monday with perjury and other counts after sexually explicit text messages surfaced that appear to contradict his sworn denials of an affair with a top aide.

Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy also charged the popular yet polarizing 37-year-old mayor with obstruction of justice and misconduct in office.

Former Chief of Staff Christine Beatty, 37, who also denied under oath that she and Kilpatrick shared a romantic relationship in 2002 and 2003, was charged with perjury and obstruction of justice.

In all, Worthy authorized a 12-count criminal information.

"This case was about as far from being a private matter as one can get. Honesty and integrity in the justice system is everything. That is what this case is about," Worthy said at a news conference.

"Just when did honesty and integrity, truth and honor become traits to be mocked, downplayed, ignored, laughed at or excuses made for them? When did telling the truth become a supporting player to everything else?"

A perjury conviction could bring up to 15 years' imprisonment and force Kilpatrick to relinquish the mayor's office.

Worthy has said she and her staff have pored over more than 40,000 pages of documents since January, when the Detroit Free Press published excerpts of sexually explicit text messages sent to Beatty's city-issued pager in 2002 and 2003.

The messages contradict statements Kilpatrick and Beatty gave under oath during a whistleblowers' trial last summer when each denied a romantic relationship.

2. PNT

PNT Member

I just got thru reading several news articles from the MSM (Main Stream Media) on him. NOT a single one mentioned that he is a Democrat. The liberal press lives on. If he was a Republician it would have been mentioned several times.

3. PODO

PODO TS Member

After listening to Pros. Worthy this morning, I wonder how many Top Brass in the DPD will be putting in their retirement papers to save their pensions. -
    The Last One Out Of Detroit Please Turn Off The Lights - PODO

4. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

....and like Coleman Young, he will walk away unscathed and get re-elected over and over again.

5. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

the beat goes on

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I'm surprised they ain't running that boy for Obama's Vice President ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. Recoil Sissy

Hey Jerbear:

Ictrapshooter's reference to Slick Willie prompted me to ponder alternative explanations. It now occurs to me this whole perjury thing might be a simple misunderstanding.

The issue seems to stem from the sworn testimony of Kwame and Christine that they didn't have a "romantic relationship". Media reports suggest the basis for today's perjury charge is the "sexually explicit text messages" uncovered subsequent to that testimony.

So what if their relationship was limited to hot and sweaty... uh... well... you know. What if they were just 'doing the nasty' without flowers, cuddling, moonlit walks on the beach, etc.? Might one conclude, legitimately, there was no romance? And... under such circumstances, couldn't they deny having a "romantic relationship" with a clear conscience?

I'll bet Clinton would say it all depends on the meaning of 'romance'.

What do you think??

sissy

8. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

EE, I'm no fan of Obama, but if he was even thinking of Kwame as VP, he has to be the dumber than a box of hammers.

Best,
    Dennis

9. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

This didn't start with his fooling around. He fired two detectives for investigating a party at his house. Allegedly his wife came home early and beat green(dancer) with a baseball bat.
    The two detectives were about to be awarded 6 mil when the text messages were discovered by the attorney for the policeman. 8.4 mul was offered and accepted.
    The local news thought something was fishy, so here we go.
    Did you hear the one about german shepards?

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Kinda makes you wish nobody put the fires out in '68.

Curt

11. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I'll be interested in seeing if the text messages find their way into court. Releasing text messages is a federal offense. I hope they can convict him without them.

12. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Claybrdr, the judges and attorneys in the area are in real disagreement on this point. The Secure Communications Act may not come into play here. It was passed in January 2006. All of these messages were sent prior to then.

The U.S. Constitution, Section 9, states that "No bill of attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed."

Unless there is a law on the books at the time of the messages, Hizzoner's goose may be in the oven.

Kilpatrick also issued a directive in 2003 which told employees that their text messages and cell communications were the property of the City of Detroit. That may take them out of the realm of private communications.

Whatever the arguments, this will be great entertainment.

Best,
    Dennis

13. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

Come on! Ya’ll know it’s just the Rich White Man controlled justice department trying to keep brother Kawame down. I’m sure they’ll explain it next Sunday in Obama’s church.

14. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Understand that lots of the lawyers involved are being investigated. Crooked, unethical lawyers? Hard to believe, eh?

15. mizzou

mizzou TS Member

Kwami has hired the best defense attorney in the U.S.or maybe the world, Dan K. Webb..I am betting the text messages are inadmissable, and former U.S. attorney Webb will be formidable against local district attorney wanna bees..It will be fun to watch..I am betting both "he and she" will walk with little or no penalty..Mizzou

16. Recoil Sissy

Jerbear and other Denizens of Detroit:

Your city (not Kwame) was mentioned in an AP story this morning about population growth in various U.S. cities.*

Coming as no suprise, 27 of the fastest growing municipalities were in the south with another 20 in the west. None were in the northeast.

Detroit OTOH lost more than three times as many people as any other metro area - its population declined more than 27,300 - probably just a statistical anomaly.

sissy

* between July 2006 and July 2007

17. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

How can a public servant like him afford a $700 per. hr. world class lawyer?

18. PODO

PODO TS Member

Shannon - that is why is now asking for donations to his legal defense fund - TOM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.