1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Determining The Proper Length of Pull

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by t7731, Dec 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t7731

t7731 Member

Trying to determine what the proper length of pull is for my BT 99 before I have an adjustable butt plate installed. I sent Tron an email and he asked if I liked the length of pull as is, as his pad will add 3/8".

I think I am ok with the LOP as it is, but I am not sure what is correct. The gun does not slap me in the face so I am guessing that the LOP is not too short. I don't have too many problems mounting or dismounting. On occasion, when I have a few layers of sweat shirts on, the butt will get caught in my shoulder when trying to dismount.

My guess is that the LOP is pretty much perfect as is and that I probably dont want it any longer or shorter.

What say you guys?

2. Tech Writer Jeff

Tech Writer Jeff Active Member

Possibilities:

1. Have Tron install an adjustable butt plate that includes LOP adjustability. This will cost more (of course) but if the thickness of your clothing varies a lot in different seasons, it might be the best way to go.

2. Or, have Tron install an adjustable butt plate that does NOT include LOP adjustability. It sounds like your current LOP is just fine. Simply tell Tron to make it so your LOP ends up being the same after he installs the adjustable plates (using the recoil pad of your choice). Then, when you put on thicker clothes, swap the recoil pad (only) on the adjustable plate to a thinner pad. This will compensate for your thicker clothing. Many shooters do this during wintertime shooting.

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Have him saw off the stock to keep the LOP where it works for you. End of discussion.

-Gary

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Should I say what I want to.....? No

LOP is determined by YOUR body, and by the way you shoulder YOUR gun. Period..
    Nobody can determine your LOP with out you and the gun. Does that make sense?

Wayne

5. t7731

t7731 Member

Wayne,

It makes sense, however this is going to be tough to do since Tron is more than 500 miles away from me. I seem to remember reading some "rules of thumb" in determining the proper length of pull. I just cant seem to find them. Something about the distance between your thumb and your cheek when you mount the gun. Not sure. I am going to call Joe in the morning. I am sure he can walk me through it.

6. t7731

t7731 Member

Spoke to Joe. He said it needs to be about 1 1/4" between the tip of the nose and first knuckle of the thumb. He said we will start with a #8 kick eez which will allow me to make any futute adjustmetns by getting a thicker or thinner pad. I had my wife measure it and 1 1/4" is exactly what it is for me right now. Gonna have a buddy double check her before I mail it to him.

7. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I had Keith Heeg fit my gun for me at the MI state shoot last year. He is of the school of thought that you should be as close as you can to the sight plane without being uncomfortable. That worked very well for me. I can lift my thumb and touch my nose. Bill

8. dhip

dhip Active Member

Here's a kicker for ya.I shot a sporting clay gun with a lop of 13 7/8..I bought a BT 99 and it had a LOP of 14 1/4. Shot some good score with it.Figured if I got LOP down to the same as sporting gun ,maybe scores would get better.Sooo,I took out the 1/4 inch spacer I noticed it had in it.My scores took a dive.The only difference is BT has a release trigger.I put the 1/4 inch spacer back in,scores went back up.Sporting clay is a pull trigger.Not to steal the thread,but just add a little more discussion. Can going from a Pull to a release also effect how the lop helps or hinders your game?

Doug H.

9. t7731

t7731 Member

No worries on stealing the thread. I have my answer, or at least the one that I am going with.

10. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Doug's question raises another that I've been thinking about. Why do sporting clay's guns typically have longer length's of pull than other target shotguns???

Robert

11. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

If you look at pictures of Olympic trap shooters, you will see a LOT of them have their noses over their thumbs. Some even have their chins touching their thumbs. Which I think is a shorter LOP than is typically seen in american trap!

When I look at Dennis DeVault's stocks I notice that they tend to be a little shorter on the length of pull as well. I like that thinking and I am experimenting with a thinner Kick Eez pad to see if I like the shorter LOP. It would be a very good thing to have an easier time getting out in front of angled targets.

12. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

Whats the average LOP of a factory field gun??

13. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Each different stock and gun requires a different LOP to be exact because all the other measurements go into the fit of the gunstock

that is why the LOP on the BT was about 1/2 inch different than on the autoloader but still everything felt ok

But

LOP really is the least critical of all the other measurements and you probably have a range of over an inch to play with

You dont want to hit your thumb with your nose and you dont want it so long that you come out of the gun on angles or high straight aways

Regards from Iowa

Gene

14. 527varmint

527varmint Member

LOP is way less important on a gun with a parallel comb. On a rising field come LOP will raise and lower the eye as your head is placed forward or back on the stock.

Not sure what lop has to do with getting kicked in the face by the gun. LOP if too short could make your thumb hit your nose. getting kicked in the face is mostly due to pitch. All the dimensions are working together and it is easiest to figure out pitch before LOP.

15. drgondog

drgondog Member

As wayneo said, it is your body, neck and the way you mount a shotgun. I have a pretty erect stance, I don't crawl the stock - I bring it up to my face without moving my head.

My stocks fit me when the first joint of my thumb does not hit my shooting glasses on recoil - usually about 1 to 1 1/2" inches gap between the first joint and my glasses.

The pitch is just as Important as LOP, and I like about 3/8 twist at the toe.

16. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

I always held the gun comfortably with even weight between the hands,and mount it from low gun with eyes closed-then open them to see how much rib Im getting.
    If it snags at the top of heel on the way up,I know its too long,if it snags halfway up the pad I know Im pretty close.

17. rwtii

rwtii Member

Classic length of pull was determined by holding the gun in the crook of your arm. Pressed against elbow. The proper length of pull was as long as needed so that the trigger is even with the first knuckle of the index or trigger finger. Then the proper barrel length is twice the length of pull. Now you have the dimensions for an English bespoke gun.

18. drgondog

drgondog Member

Here is a good 2 minute presentation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLLnGM3DXE0&list=PLD5E0503E846D9CE6&index=7

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

determining length of pull

determining proper length of pull
how to correctly determine proper length of pull
how to determine length of pull