1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Determining POI of Shotgun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Jun 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

What is the correct distance that I should pattern my shotgun at to determine how high my gun is shooting? Do I raise or lower the comb to raise my POI?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

POI is checked at 13-15yds

Then check your pattern from 35-40yds

Raise the comb to raise your POI.

3. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

The standard is 40 yards found in most lierature. One really good bbl regulation person I talked to said he uses 40 yds. It is a repeatable distance for comparitive purposes. I believe it best to use distances about where the target is to be broken. With skeet this would be 25 yds(not 22 yds to allow for the 2nd shot at doubles on 3,4,5.) Trap,about 33-35 yds for 16's & 45 yds for the 27 yd line.

4. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Pattern is one thing, POI is another. Pattering is almost a waste of time. POI is easy and important.

5. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

I like to look at it this way. When you pattern the shotgun, you are checking the horizontal with the POA. If adjustment is needed, it's done with cast.

When you adjust the POI, you're placing this along the vertical. Adjustment is done with the comb or rib.

Both are important if you want to score well, and compete with a well-fitted gun...

6. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I just got back from checking the POI. The gun was shooting 30/70 to 40/60. This explains why I have been missing straight aways.

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Just to throw in my two cents...30/70 and 40/60 don't mean anything unless you were patterning at 40yds. The percentage term can only be used when shooting from the old standard of 40yds.

At 40yds, the 30/70 you cite above would mean the center of the pattern would be 6 inches low of the aiming spot/dot, and 40/60 would be 3 inches low.

The ability to check POI from different makes and models of guns does need to have a standard to work from so that everyone can be on the same page. I prefer the 40yds over the shorter distances. 40yds will magnify any errors that may be in the gun. Besides, I don't mind walking back and forth.

Checking POI at other disances is fine and dandy to that shooters particular shooting style, but if they were to say their gun shoots 80/20 at 34yds, they really are not telling you anything other than the way "they" shoot their gun.

A somewhat better description of the above paragraph's shooter would be to say their gun shoots X number of inches high at Y number of yards.

Doug

8. perazzi_01

perazzi_01 Member

On subject matter....does anyone know the cure for Perazzi barrels and who can fix them (without splitting and re-soldering) where there is too big of desparity between POI between barrels....I own a set where the bottom barrel almost shoots low and the top very high....this was checked bench rested rifle style and the top barrel shoots un-mistakable high....have to float the target high !

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Rich you are in trouble now, the experts showed up. Do what Matt told you and move on.

You check POI at 13 yds and multiply by 3 and whammo you got your POI at 40. With the concentrated pattern it is easier to see and measure. Don't complicate something simple.

Is your POI really 40/60 or did you mean 60/40?

Don

10. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Don,

I did mean 40/60, maybe even 30/70. The gun was shooting VERY low. I have it adjusted now where its shooting 70/30 or at the worst 60/40.

11. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

What gun is it? App. 16 yards is the right distance to
    check for point-of-impact. That's the distance Stan Baker
    always used.

12. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Citori Plus

Here's the before and after from 16 yds.

rich219_2009_250887.jpg

rich219_2009_250888.jpg

13. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I just counted the pellets and the second picture puts the POI at 69.xx % over 30.xx %.

14. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Perazzi 01, Briley fixed a friend of mine 34" MX-8 O/U who's barrels shot in different zip codes. They installed concentric chokes that moved the pattern to exactly where he wanted. I don't know if they can do this with fixed chokes,
    but can do it with screw in chokes. Others may be able to perform this work other than Briley, but I'd start there first, they have on their web sight?

Surfer

15. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

what choke? Does not look like a full choke.

16. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Improved mod

Here is how its patterning @ 30-35 yds.

rich219_2009_250890.jpg

Do I have the gun shooting a bit too high now?

17. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Rich, how high your gun shoots is up to YOU. Do you want to cover the bird (a flat shooting gun), or do you want to float it over the front bead? How high the bird is above the front bead is a personal thing.

Wayne

18. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

You cannot count pellets to determine a percentage shooting at such short distances.

The reason being is...a full choke will throw a tighter pattern, holding most of the shot above the aiming point, assuming the center of the pattern is 6" high. Shooting the same gun with an IC or skeet choke will allow more pellets to print below the aiming point...changing the percentage. The center of the pattern would remain the same.

More details of the POI testing is needed...Did you shoot from a solid rest, did you aim the gun with the two beads in a figure 8, in case it has a single front bead, that front bead laying flat on the rib?

Looking at both center of each pattern, the first picture appears to be low by a few inches and the second appears to be dead center but left an inch or two.

This is why its important in order to compare apples to apples a standard needs to be established. Reading through the above posts, you'll see 13yds, 15yds, 16yds,and 33-35yds. At each of those distances, any given shotgun will shoot a different POI because every shot load rises and falls to the target, the same as it does with a rifle.

There will be one point in the rise that would equal the POI at 40yds, but varibles such as load weight and velocity can affect that if each load is not the same.

Addition--Looking at the very last pattern posted, your whole pattern has drifted to the right, telling me your POI testing is not consistant. Are you shooting free hand?

Doug

19. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Thanks for the info guys. I guess I'll just have to get out and shoot a few rounds tomorrow. Thanks again.

20. Trapboy1957

Trapboy1957 TS Member

Rich did you shoot fri & sunday handicaps at PA state shoot?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
does anyone remove the center bead on their shotgun
how to check poi on a shotgun

how to check poi on shotgun

how to determine poi
poi for shotgun
poi testing a shotgun

shotgun poi

shotgun poi testing