1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Detatched retina...how did it go? How long to shoo

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by justanother99, May 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justanother99

justanother99 Member

So I've been having some vision problems, went to the eye doctor today to find out that I have a detatched retina. Anybody on here have this surgery before? How long after surgery were you shooting again? Good results? Bad results? Sorry for all the questions, just concerned. Surgery scheduled on Thursday, wondering what to expect. Thanks in advance. Mark

2. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Your detachment must not be very serious considering (a) you've been having problems for a "while" and (b) that your surgeon waited a few days to schedule the surgery. Don't know what kind of surgery you are having, as there are different procedures that may be used.

When mine detached, the surgeon had me in the op room the next day. It was a very serious detachment. I almost lost the vision in the eye. It took 5 procedures and nearly 6 months to get back to 'normal'. That likely does not apply to you, but please ask your surgeon about recovery and follow his instructions to the letter. Any retina detachment is serious business.

Gene in Illinois

3. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

For reference I am an optometrist- I say that only so that you can fairly judge the information given. Also I think it's important that you rely very little on what you get from others here who may have had a similar problem. Gene is right. A detachment is serious business. Now as far as the how longs etc - only your surgeon can and should answer those things for you. Every detachment is different and different procedures may be used to correct it. Therefore the recovery may be different as well as the outcome. Because of that any information that you get here is only guessing. Follow your surgeons advice. Wishing you an excellent recovery.

4. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

A very good friend of mine went in for his yearly exam. The doctor said he had a detached retina and scheduled surgery.

The doctor asked him if he poked himself in the eye? To his knowledge, He said he did not think so but he hunts and trap shoots a lot.

Before the surgery he was a very good shooter. His doctor suggested that he no longer shoot but he would not listen to him. He took around 3 months off from shooting after the surgery than started shooting again.

He was rusty from the lay off, along with being some what frightened that once he started shooting again he would once again get a detached retina. He was never the same shooter that he once was after that surgery.

The next time he went to see the doctor, the surgical repaired eye was fine, but the other eye had a detached retina this time. He had no idea how this happened either?

He had the surgery on the other eye and was never the same shooter. He told me his eyes are now fine, but his scores were never the same.

I shot with him over 40 years and I noticed he did not have the same form as he once had. He never really got into the gun like he once did. In the back of his mind he worried that he would hurt one of his eyes again.

Like previous comments stated every situation is different. I believe after you go through something traumatic like this it is always in the back of your mind.

Who knows, in your situation you might even be better than before after your surgery is completed?
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

5. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

I had a 360 degree detachment back in `02. As a matter of fact , I think I may have caused it myself by rubbing my eyes too hard , but don`t know that for sure.

At any rate , there have been some good comments from the previous posters.

Do EXACTLY what the surgeon tells you , and don`t even THINK of shooting until your surgeon says it`s O.K.

You will have a lot of different drops to put in the eye. I personally had to make up a chart of sorts so I could keep track of it all. DON`T FUDGE on that. I also remember that I had to lay a certain way for a few days.

My surgeon would not even let me go back to work for 3 months , but the job I had at the time involved lifting. As was said , no two cases are exactly alike.

As they say , "this too shall pass!" Good Luck!

Regards , Pete

6. DJM

DJM Member

In my situation I did not get to pass go or collect the $200. I went from the eye exam to the eye surgeon immediately. The surgeon was called away from the dinner table to fix my eye. Results were great. Very good drugs that make you feel very comfortable but did not knock me out. I had a buckle installed around my eye that will be with me for life.

7. justanother99

justanother99 Member

Thank you everyone for the encouragement. I'll log on tomorrow or as soon as I can and update everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.