1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Detailed medical bill?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Mar 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

A few weeks ago my cardiologist suggested I have an echogram and cardiolite stress test done. It had been 5 years since the last one was done in 08. Fine. He scheduled it to be performed at the same hospital as last time.

I have a high deductible insurance policy $7500, so I knew I was going to have to pay for it myself. The last time the same test was performed in the same building by the exact same people (I remember them, knew em by name) as this present day test. The last time the test cost me $1617 out of my pocket, after the insurance company discount. Received the bill today for the test performed a couple of weeks ago and the bill was $10,525. The test took about 5 hours. The insurance got their discount for me and they say I owe $5325. Wow!

In 5 years that procedure has went up 3.29 times. In 5 years my insurance premiums have more than doubled. I thought Obama said he was going to get medical costs lower, and was going to save us all money??

I was planning on the bill being in the $2500 neighborhood, kinda shocked it being double that.

Just wondering if there was any proper way to ask for an audit of a medical bill? The bill I received had no details. It has $10,525 at top of page then insurance negotiated discount then at bottom - what patient owes - $5325
    I know I'm going to have to end up paying it, but I would like an explanation of why this bill is 3 times higher than 5 years ago.

2. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I suggest you call the hospital / provider you owe the $ to and ask them if they have a cash discount if you pay within 30 days or less. A couple hospitals near us have this policy BUT you have to call and ask about it. In our case the discount is 20-30% off the bill if you pay on time.

Why is it higher ? You need look no further than Washington, DC and HHS.

Gene in Illinois

PS I assume your tongue is fully in your cheek regarding the Obama Care comments.

3. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Give them $5 a month like the ileagles do. Jeff

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Next time I bet you ask for a upfront cost. What a dumb mistake.

5. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Thanks guys. When I had my heart attack in 03, I offered to pay em in cash if they would give me a discount. Got a NO!

5 years ago this test cost me $1617.07. I was expecting it to be higher this time but 3 times? WTF? The test was performed by the exact people in the exact building as 5 years ago.

I guess I should be glad Obama and congress got together and passed Obamacare and controlled spiralling out of control cost increases. If they hadn't who knows what the bill would have been. Thanks Barack!

I am going to send the hospital a registered letter demanding a detailed bill. I'm curoius as to what that free Diet Pepsi they gave me cost.

6. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Yes get a detailed bill, you will be surprised of the prices they try to charge, quite a while back my wife had a hysterectomy and she had a tilted bladder that they wanted to put a pick of cadaver skin in and attach it to her pelvis, there were 4 stainless steel screws that held it there the charged $600 PER screw, I told them they were screwed if they thought I was paying that for them

Quite a few years later I was to have a colonoscopy, and the Dr asked me if I wanted a CAT scan, I asked him what it cost and he said most ins will pay for it but they will tell me what it costs when I check in, the girl said it was $140 so I figured that was my share, then I got a bill for $9800, with the ins discount it was around half, I told them to ride the rod, I wouldn't have had it done at that price

Something needs to be done about the medical industry but onumbnuts plan isn't anywhere near the answer

7. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Democracts reduce cost and spending when pigs fly, ask me I live in Illinois

8. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I am arguing with a hospital owned medical lab right now over what are excessive costs/fees. My father gets blood work every other month to monitor some long-term medications.

In December those blood tests cost us $165. In February those same tests cost $805. We were shocked, to say the least. As I work my way through their 'system', I get absolutely 'ZERO' answers as to why such a huge increase in costs.

I have asked for a full accounting and breakout of their expenses, but I know I'm not going to get it. The hospital is state supported, and the billings go partially thru Medicare, so I'm thinking about an FOIA demand; for all the good it will do.

I'm really frustrated by the number of people that can't recognize political lies, and ignore them when they do.

I will never again schedule a test or appointment without asking for complete costs BEFORE going.
    Kip

9. sharhope

sharhope Member

I am an M D and am shocked about some of these outrageous bills.Never have an elective test or procedure without a complete estimate of the bill.I too have been stuck with rediculous bills for my wife's procedure . The charges to Medicare and Medicaid are way way lower along with managed care leaving the privately insured to receive grossly inflated bills. always look around for quotes on things like C T scans there are lots of private X Ray clinics with lower rates.Most hospitals have no pay rates of 20-30 %. Leaving everyone else to pick up the slack.

10. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

In the late 70's I had to have surgery. The doctor determined that my job contributed to the condition leading to surgery. Long story short, the company I worked for refused to pay workman's compensation and State Disability demanded that to receive benefits I had to bring suit on the company.

End result, my workman's compensation case was upheld. The Hospital then reduced their billing from $16,000 to a $7000 bill to the company.

Moral to the story: The company saved $9000 by initially denying my claim. The Hospital settled for less but still covered their actual cost's and the Attorney's collected a nice paycheck. It pay's to @$%^! the little guy!

I agree with Gene, offer a cash settlement.

Robert

11. ajhiii07

ajhiii07 Member

when has any gov. program reduced the cost of anything?

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You have to arm wrestle the insurance companies to get what you thought you had.

It's one of the dirtiest deals in our great country. Malpractice insurance, unnecessary tests (doctor CYA), and trial lawyers can all be thanked.

The folks in Versailles (concentration of power and ostentatious wealth) - oops I mean Washington were bribed over the yars to create this monstrosity.

HM

13. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

El camino by my home offers a 75% discount for cash for lab tests. $100 test costs $25 if you pay cash and don't involve all the insurance paperwork and delay. It is worth making an offer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
detail medical bill
detailed medical bill
request for a detail medical bill

what is a deatil medical bill