1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Deputy Seizes Legal Gun / Arrests Owner

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 100straight, Feb 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 100straight

100straight Member

Help needed!!!

A nurse from Indiana named Joyce was visiting friends in Vermont and Massachusetts earlier this month when she ran into an unexpected problem. Upon checking in at the ticket counter in Albany, NY (the nearest major airport) for her return flight to Indiana, she declared her firearm, which was secured with a cable-lock through the barrel and magazine well and double-locked in a hard case. The NW Airlines ticket agent called over a Deputy Sheriff who asked Joyce several questions about the gun and her travels with it. He then asked her to accompany him to his office where he arrested and booked her for unlawful possession of a weapon without a NY license.

Joyce was able to post bail and return home but is expected back in court in NY on March 7. At this point she is still looking for legal representation and we are doing our best to help her in any way we can. We've brought her case to the attention of the NRA, SAF, and the NY State Rifle and Pistol Association. And we are hopeful that these organizations will be able to provide some guidance and legal assistance.

Even if someone provides free legal assistance, she still faces $500 plane tickets, hotel bills, and missed work, not to mention the loss of her Kimber Raptor. She is also fearful that this arrest could jeopardize her career.

Joyce is a recent widow, the mother of a police officer, and a self-supporting nurse. Her job puts her on the road quite a bit and away from home for several days at a time so at the urging of her son she attended a three-day handgun course in Ohio and acquired an Indiana CCW.

We are calling on the gun-rights community to rally to Joyce's aid.

We are working with others to set up a Legal Defense Fund for her, but until the legalities and logistics of that get worked out, we are accepting donations on her behalf at the Firearms Coalition.

Contributions can be made by credit card over the phone at 703-753-0424, on-line at our web site, www.FirearmsCoalition.org, using the PayPal link, or by cash, check, or money order mailed to:

The Firearms Coalition
    PO Box 3313
    Manassas, VA 20108

Mark your donation "NY Defense Fund" and we will see to it that it goes directly to help this poor woman in this terrible situation.

Joyce is planning to attend the regular meeting of the Indiana 2nd Amendment Patriots, 6:00 PM at the German Township Fire Station, located on Hwy 65 (Cynthiana Hwy). http://www.2ndamendmentpatriots.org for directions and more information.

We are asking that you do three things:

1. Send a donation immediately.
    2. Post and forward this to everyone you know.
    3. Take this information to your local clubs and organizations, pass the hat, and ask the club to make an official donation.

Be sure to mark all donations for Joyce's benefit with "NY Defense Fund"
    None of the proceeds of this special appeal go to the Firearms Coalition. Everything will go directly to assist Joyce in her time of need.

When an official Legal Defense Fund is created we will pass that information on.

Thank you for your assistance in this effort.

Yours for the Second Amendment,

Jeff Knox
    Director of Operations
    The Firearms Coalition

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Possibly her being a nurse she was thinking of her own health? Better to be judged by 12, rather than carried by 6? I wish her the best of luck. Hap

3. 100straight

100straight Member

I watched a program about this yesterday, and at one point she asked the Deputy if her gun would be returned, and was told "no, it will destroyed" before her case even reaches trial. It's a $1400 Kimber. They also refused to give her a receipt for the gun, so it is just her word against theirs. Also, she was in full compliance with federal law and airport regs. This is just the beginning, but it is amazing how few can see it.

Don't forget, there are hundreds of citizens of the State of Louisiana that had legal guns confiscated and never returned after hurricane Katrina. Even if those guns haven't been destroyed, can you imagine the shape they must be in after all this time exposed to salt air with no cleaning?

Shoot well and often (while you still can),

Mark.

4. concordefamily

concordefamily Member

I wish Joyce all the well but I wouldn't be too optimistic at this point. I did a search of New York Gun Laws (http://www.nysrpa.org/nygunlaws.htm) and found this under Non Resident Possession:

"No person may carry, possess or transport a handgun in or through the state unless he has a valid New York license. New York does not issue licenses to non-residents nor does it recognize licenses issued by other states."

Yet another reason to stay away from the Norh East!

5. 100straight

100straight Member

Well, I am not surprised by those of you who don't care. I thought some people might have learned something from Zumbo. It's not about the type of gun, it's about the Second Amendment. By the time they ban your trap gun it will be too late. I'm more firmly convinced everyday that my grandchildren will live to see the day that all guns are banned, and it's because of this sort of "I don't care" attitude.

That's very sad,

Mark.

6. 100straight

100straight Member

This occured in Albany, not NYC, and the gun wasn't concealed.

7. southpark

southpark TS Member

It sounds like that acording to NY law this was an illegal gun.

Not surprising given the people many of us have voted for over the years.

Remember that when Rudy Guliani is on a primary ballot in your state.

He does not believe the Constitution prevents your right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

8. 682LINY

682LINY Member

Another reason I will not fly with any gun,,,,rules and law have no meaning to anyone at the airport,,,,you can not argue,,,the have power to use and abuse as they see fit,,,A friend is a Det Port ath New York,,,has orders from above to put anyone flying in or out with a gun thru the system,,,ie; disrupt travel as much as possible to discorage futher travel with a firearm,,,,He trys not to do this when dealing with people he can see are ligit,,,but can only do so much with out risk to his job,,,,GOD help you if you lose custody of a fire arm in NYC,,,they lose kilos of cocane and herion ,,,forget about a $ 15,000 gun

9. quattle

quattle Member

Albany is one place to stay away from. I was terrorized by some of their finest a few years ago. If they dont have grounds enough to arrest you they will follow you and threaten you and make it impossible to stay there. Not the whole police force only 2, but thats all it takes to have a sour taste for the whole area.

10. concordefamily

concordefamily Member

I guess should would have been better off if she did not volunteer or declare that she had this piece in her checked luggage. Wasn't if Clinton that said "Don't ask, don't tell"?

11. teleskier

teleskier Member

It is the responsibility of the gun owner to check laws and regulations before travel. Right or wrong we have to do it at this point. Obviously she was in violation of NY and/or federal law.

Some one on here mentioned the gun was not concealed. If it was not in plain sight, (in a locked hard case is not plain sight) it is considered concealed. Period. The fact it had a lock on the gun does not prevent it from being loaded and fired.

Mike

12. 100straight

100straight Member

So what I hear is a lot of apathy.

I suppose that if you were caught speeding in your car, and the police confiscated your car you'd be OK with that? And I'm sure everyone would just sit back and say, "Well, he was violating a law, so he had it coming. Should have checked them out-a-state laws before he went there."

First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me.

It's no wonder we are losing our rights. With friends like these, who needs enemies?

13. BustClays

BustClays Member

Lucky she was not "caught" in Mass. As I remember it they have a one-year mandatory jail sentence for unlicensed possession. And NY doesn't license any non-resident. BTW Did she fly into Albany with this handgun when she first came to visit? How did they let her do that? Or did she purchase this handgun in the state of Vermont? Exactly how did she get herself and her gun in this situation? This sounds very strange to me and I am wondering if it sounds strange to anyone else, or am I just a skeptic? It would seem that "Joyce" should have a last name and that more specific information should be forthcoming about her situation before anyone should spend time donating any money to such a shaky cause as this one. How do we know that this is legitimate? Are we being scammed here? Just my skepticism at work. (I did a search for the entire month of Feb with the Albany Times Union and they had nothing.)

Bustclays

14. 100straight

100straight Member

Yep,

She was the one with the gun, so she must be a criminal. Lock her up. She's lucky the U.S. isn't doing on the spot executions of people caught with guns. The NRA did a show on this yesterday, but that NRA is a no good right wing extremist propaganda organization. I just can't even believe that let someone possessing an evil gun get out on bail!!!

15. BP348

BP348 Active Member

What a crock!!! She was just traveling through. It's not like anywhere in New York they have such control of their crime that they need to go after someone just traveling through.

Makes me glad I don't fly out of state offten & when I do I never bring a personal firearm.

16. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

If the story IS accurate, it is no suprise.Although "FEDERAL" law states that you may transit THROUGH a state with a legally owned firearm, several states(N.Y.) included have laws on the books that try and trump fereral law. If Devil's Advocate knew anything about New York, he would know a so called "liscense" to possess a hand gun uin N.Y. is impossible for an out of stater to obtain! Personally I would just about as soon visit communist China as New York, or any other "freaking" liberal N.E. state. I'll stay in the south thank you. It's a shame that the majority of New Yorkers(notice I didn't say "ALL" but a majority non the less) are stupid enough to keep re electing a worthless POS like Hillary Clinton to office! and if any of you Democracts think I'm picking on you, I feel the same way about liberal RINO Juleani! I wish the lady the best in this case and hopefully the NRA legislative defense fun can help her. Reminds me of the case a few years ago when a New Jersy state trooper was chashing a suspect at over 100 MPH. When he spotted a truck with out of state hunters in it(and cased guns in a gun rack), he abandoned the chase to arrest them! They spent the night in jail were denied a phone call until the next day. After two days in jail they were released only to find the law(who had pinned up their dogs) had allowed one of their dogs to die from dehydration. They evently beat the charges, but their hunt(booked in Maine) was ruined and it cost them a fortune in legal fees. That is one part of the world that if I go NEAR it, it will be to fly OVER it!

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Too bad she wasn't an illegal alien drug smuggler, they wdould have paid her fare and arrested the deputy..

HM

18. Irfner

Irfner TS Member

It appears to me Joyce was following federal law and air travel regulations. The New York laws are designed soley to circumvent the constitution and impose undue hardship on travelers. ie you must have a license that we will not issue to exercise your constitutional right and your right of interstate travel. Must a citizen traveling accross these United States have legal council to interperate the laws and the mood in every state and jurisdiction traversed? So you say she should hace researched New York law. Well how about the laws of each county, town, city, village, parish and preciecnt along the way? Where will the line be drawn? I will send some money to help support her and hopefully we can end some of this KAOS.

irfner

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    But but but...the Fudds beloved FOPA'86, that they sold out machinegun owners for and caused a lot of them to quit the NRA, is supposed to prevent this sort of thing from happening! Surely this cannot be! Oh the humanity!

20. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Teleskier, Sorry but your post is rubish. Concealed means the gun is easy to get to. Under the set, in the glove box, anywhere you can get your hands on it with ease. If its in a case on your set it is not concealed. If its in the back in a case its not concealed. As long its in a case and or in the open its legal. Also state law can never over rule fed law.

She will not get the gun back. I hope she does but they have a way to keep them. My parents had a cleaning co come in the house to do the cleaning. Make a long story short one of them took out of my fathers dresser 4 handguns. They went to NY and were traded for crack. NY got the guns back but would not return them. They said they were used in a crime and will be distroyed. YEAH RIGHT. They were stolen twice. Once by the crook and the second time by the law. I agree with the poster above she should have kept her mouth shut.

If you are pulled over for what ever reason and the cop askes to search your car just say no you may not. Be nice. Just because they ask does not mean they can or have the right to. Some cops think they can do what ever they want and you have to do as your told to. BS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.