1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Depriming live primer

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Franktri, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franktri

Franktri Member

Is is safe to attempt to remove a live primer from a hull that is unusable due to a reloading error or is it best to just discard the whole thing? Any comment appreciated.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Cut open the hull & empty everything then fire the primer in your gun. Better safe than sorry.

Eric

3. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Just push it back out the way it went in, never had one go off yet. Even if one goes off, what's it gonna hurt?

GneJ

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I take a punch that is the same size as the primer hole. I then will put the hull on a socket, piece of wood with a hole smaller then the hull. At times you can just push the primer out with the punch and your hand. Sometimes you have to tap them out with a punch and a hammer. Not saying you hammer the punch but just tap it out. I have never had one go off ever. People think primers will go off just by looking at them. NOT TRUE. They are tougher then you think.

5. Codebrown

Codebrown TS Member

I've "deprimed" hundreds if not thousands of "crap" shells - didn't used to until components became so spendy. I just put the lower half of the cut shell on the loader and deprime. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES. The axis of anything going awry shouldn't hurt you.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have deprimed live primers from hulls many many times without incident. But I won't tell you it is a smart or safe thing to do. If you do try it, safety glasses are an absolute must and make sure you don't have any open containers of powder nearby.

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

I know it can be done. Still I NEVER do it.

What if there is a one in a million chance it does off - OK 1 in 100 million.

I have so few boo-boo's it is not worth the minimal risk or my time to save less than $.03 I suppose if I had 100 of them and was looking at saving a whole $3 I might reconsider. Naw.... I am too lazy to round up the stuff to do it safely.

Don Verna

8. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

If you got a loader, just use the depriming station.
    When depriming on you loader, the key is to apply slow steady pressure.

You need a sharp hit on the bottom of the primer to ignite the primer compound.

Wearing safety glasses would cover the better safe than sorry part. Hot primer gas coming up around the deprimer and deflecting into your eyes would be the worst case, IF the primer went off.

Jason

9. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I do it all the time. I made a block with a radius cut the size of the outside rim of the shell about 1/4" deep and a hole, somewhat smaller about 1" deep to allow room for the primer to drop. Then, using a dowel, lightly tap out the primer with my trusty coffee grinder tool. Easy & perfectly safe. I'll add a photo, later.

best...mike

10. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

I've done hundreds,and hundreds on a old mec that I use just for that purpose.

D.P.Reynolds

11. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

Wear some safety glasses. If for some reason I'm "trashing" a bunch of shells, I'll sacrifice the hull and wad by cutting them in half with a PVC cutter. It takes one second, then I'll save the powder and shot. For some reason I go a little slower when I deprime whats left of the hull. As stated above, don't have any powder close by, like in a bottle on the loader!!! The "ejected" primers are fine, although I usually use them in practice or for sporting clays, same difference. I've done this hundreds of times.

I should state that I use a MEC, if you have a loader the mangles the hull while trying to deprime it, your results may vary.

12. ctreay

ctreay Member

I not only deprime them on my MEC I set them aside and reuse them. About 25 years or more and never a boo-boo. I have a tube under the deprime station that go's to a bucket under the bench.

ctreay

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

As long as you don't try to "speed-deprime" it, you won't have a problem. You can literally crush a primer(Large Pistol, Large Rifle, etc.) if you do it slowly enough. A shotgun primer is usually the easiest primer to deprime. I probably have a half dozen pull-downs I need to deprime after a reloading session (split hulls, crushed hulls, bad crimps), don't give it much thought. Although, the older you get the spookier it gets. ;-)

14. balance365

balance365 TS Member

Old MEC Jr, turned the deprime punch to be flat. Use it on every shell I want/need to deprime. Never a problem.

15. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Always wear eye protection when reloading.

I deprime in an older MEC Sizemaster that has an empty powder bottle.

A bigger danger in my opinion is a random piece of shot that falls into the priming station.

Ed Ward

16. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

BTW, save a few of the primed cut-off's for "Wad Poppers" as they really come in handy.

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I've never had a primer let go when depriming one, however, spilled shot WILL cause one to ignite when loading shells!

Hap

18. Neal Crausbay

Neal Crausbay Member

stokinpls has it correct. The priming mixture in all primers require a certain velocity of the impact from a firing pin (or other means) to ignite or explode. Using a slow steady force they can be crushed flat or deformed without detonating. An example is when in very cold weather, a rifle might dent a primer but not fire it, usually caused from the grease in the bolt or action becoming stiff and slowing the speed of the firing pin. Hunters experience this most in high altitude very cold conditions.

Push any primer out slowly and never use a hammer to drive one out and you will be O.K.

I learned this from an executive at CCI many years ago.

19. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I had a freind that loaded 2 five gallon buckets while drinking and they were all messed up so he gave them to me and I cut them in half and saved the wad,powder and shot.I deprimed the brass base on my mec 600 and had no problem doing so.PJ

20. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have done it many times over 30 years of loading. never had one go off yet. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can i deprime a live primerin a shotshell

depriming live primers mec

depriming live shotshell primers

punch size for depriming