1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Depriming live centerfire cases

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tcr1146, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Okay boys, you helped me on pulling bullets! Now, can I deprime live primed centerfire cases safely(please, no safety freaks or OSHA regulators need respond-just knowledgeable centerfire boys)!? If I can do this, are the primers salvageable or will they be ruined? Thanks, Tom Rhoads

2. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Tom,

Unless you have a zillion of them, the method I use is as follows; put on your safety glasses (close the door to your loading room), extend the primer punch in your resizing die, then gently press them out into the catch pan. That is unless you're talking about crimped in military brass or the old Berdan type primer. As far as re-using them, I suppose you could if you didn't have to push too hard and disturb the anvil and primer compound. Following is my disclaimer....this is not the OSHA approved method and I guess I have to ask, why not just pop them in the rifle (outside preferrably)and then remove them?

I sure others may have some better ideas. I also use this for the occasional shotshell primer and with either type, haven't popped one yet. Let us know how you make out.

Larry Addison

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Wear ear protection also. HMB

4. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Put them in the gun and pull the trigger?

5. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Another possible way, and one I have used when a primer gets cocked in the primer pocket, is to place them in a heavy walled METAL can, like a empty and cleaned out paint can, with a lid and a couple of holes smaller than the primer punched in the can as pressure relief vents. Then heat the can bottom with the primers on the flat bottom of the can. The heat will detonate the primer and then you can punch out any remaining piec of the primer cup. The shell will flip around but I have not had any that ended up being useable.

That said, I only use this for the one or maybe two primers (one at a time) that are cocked in the primer pocket. If the shell is normal, I will just put it in the gun, point the barrel somewhere safe, and pull the trigger.

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've deprimed quite a few live cases just as suggested by LDAdd without any harm to self, primer, loader, and they've always worked in the next use. Clearly the crimped, military types were not ever involved. Are you still older than me Larry?....Bob Dodd

7. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Thanks Guys! I have deprimed hundreds of shotshells, but never centerfire! I suspect I will just fire them and then deprime. Tom Rhoads

8. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

I've done it lots of times, never a problem. Primer has always been re-used, always worked...Bill

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Sarge gave you the absolute correct answer.. I have successfully deprimed live primers..then I throw them away.

10. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Like I said, I only use the can method for cases where the primers are cocked in the primer pocket. In reading my initial posting I see that I put in a word that did not belong and the error changed the meaning entirely. I have since edited that post. When the primer has been put in cocked, the case is already done as far as reloading. I am simply detonating the primer under controlled conditions so it does not cause someone a problem when it ends up in the trash or such.

Thanks for catching the error I made.

11. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Bob,

Even God isn't as old as you....at least that's I've heard from an anonymous but reliable source.

If it's any solace, it's raining cats and dogs here also.

Hang in there, it'll dry up in Oregon in a couple of years..Heh Heh.

Later...

Larry

12. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

By your handle, "TCR" I assume you are loading rifle ammo. If you want to use the brass and primers, why don't you just load the primed cases with your favorite powder and bullet? I have done that with military rifle ammo, putting a match grade bullet in place of a combat grade bullet. It shot fine. If worst comes to worst, chamber the primed brass in a suitible firearm and snap the trigger. It will make a pop about as loud as a good cap gun. Now you will have a dead primer to eliminated safely by normal methods. Beware, the smoke will be bad for your health. I would recommend doing it outside. What caliber are you using and / or making?

13. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Safety freak? I am one, have been for 30 years. Have professional certification in safety. If you are not doing this as an employee, OSHA does not apply to you, don't worry about them. My best advice, don't do it. Almost all of the time, if you are gentle, you will get away with it. If one goes off as it did when one of my new reloading friends did when he used a sharp punch and hammer to try to remove one, you may get by with soiled shorts. Primers are cheap enough I odn't think it is worth the risk.

Freaking yours,
    Mike

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Using a hand primer tool, I occasionally get one upside down.

Next tiem I have a neck sizer in I take them out, and never a problem with reusing them.

Much ado over nothing here. If one does detonate, the flash would only go into the die.

I did have a primer go off in my Mec 9000 once. The results from that is a laundry isssue.

HM

15. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

I have a friend who ended up with a primer anvil in the palm of his hand (still there) because he was depriming a live case with a small hand depriming tool like bench rest shooters use. It may have been in upside down, I think he was using a Lee or RCBS hand priming tool.

If you are prepared for the worst possible outcome and willing to risk what may happen then go ahead and punch them out.

I have punched out many with no problems.

tom

16. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

I've deprimed many many centerfire cases and resued the primers. I used a single stage press, made sure the area was absolutely clean of any powder or other flamable residue, wore eye and ear protection. The worst that can happen is one to light off giving a pretty good pop and soiled undies if your not ready for it but it rarely happens if you take your time.

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I use Leo's method of handling primed cases when I want to change loads. 6MM,30-06,308,270 and 300Win mag. Some people shouldn't attempt loading shotshells let alone rifle loads. Common sense applies to everything we do in being as careful as we can be, or should. Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.