1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Depriming brass

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Firekiller, Jun 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firekiller

Firekiller TS Member

I recently bought alot of reloading stuff at an auction. It came with several diferent calibers of brass. Most of it has a new primer in it but with no bullet. I want to take the primer out so I can tumble it. Any ideas. I know what you are thinking. Just put in in your gun and pull the trigger stupid. Thats my problem I want to keep the brass but some of them I havent bought a gun for yet. Any help. I dont want to level my house with trial and error.

2. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

deprime like any other done it for years Never had one go off, have done thousands of crimped in not one went off . Dont listen to the guys that are afraid of the rain rick

3. Firekiller

Firekiller TS Member

Hey thanks rick.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

tumbling with primer, media can get stuck in flash hole, 2. no clue what type of primer? options clean primed case by hand with 0000 steel wool, load as is and clean as loaded case?

5. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

Never had a problem removing a live primer. Just to be on the safe side wear safety glasses...Bill

6. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I would never (NEVER) deprime a live primer; sooner or later it will go off and not only scaring the hell out of you, you risk injury. When I deprime spent metallic primers, some come out easily while other pop out and miss the tray altogether. The primers which pop out would more than likely be at risk of detonation. Better to put it in the gun and fire it. People have done it without incident but one will go off. As a former (retired) safety manager, you learn that when risk is present it will happen. Is it worth it after the injury occurs? Injuries are expensive and if you lose an eye... Even a blind dog can cross a busy road, but rarely ends up being an old blind dog. Darrell

7. capvan

capvan Active Member

WD40 will almost instantly de-activate a primer. Put a drop in each shell, deprime the next day. When primers get stuck in tubes on progressive re-loading machines the advice of the manufacturers is to soak them in WD40 to render them safe. I have to believe they know what they are doing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.