1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DENTS IN STOCKS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by birddog1964, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Is there a way to raise a dent{not a scratch}in a stock with out hurting the finish.

thanks
    lee

2. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

NO, not without divine intervention.

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Lee: If the dents aren't too large I have had success in "lifting them" using a cotton cloth. Soak it in water and wring it out. Take the damp cloth and lay it on the dent. Heat up your clothes iron and run it over the cloth. Do this several times and see if progress is made. Be careful not to let the iron rest in one spot too long or you could damage the finish. Good Luck. Ed

4. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Try what Ed posted. That method has worked for me as well.

AndyH ;-)

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

If I can add to what Ed posted, Don't rub on it until the finish solitifies again. Heat and moisture will temporarily soften the finish and be easily damaged.

ss

6. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I have use a damp cloth but not an iron but heat a spoon heat and roll it over the colth .

7. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I have used Ed's method but only after the finish has been removed down to bare wood. Steam enters the wood and miracuosly the dent raises back up as if it was never there. I would be very careful not to overheat if you leave the finish on. It might also be best not to touch or rub the affected area until after the finish has time to re-harden. Please let us know how this works with the finish left on.

Good luck, Marc

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Moisture and heat can raise a dent but only if the moisture can get into the wood. If water can easily pass through the finish, the stock has more problems than just a dent.

Pat Ireland

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Pat and Marc are right, it won't work unless the moisture can soak into the wood. The finish has to be removed.

Pat, apparently some people have such a stock!

10. Bridger

Bridger Member

Using Ed's method I just raised a nasty dent on an oil finished stock. I couldn't believe how easily it came up. Slight touch up with sanding and tru oil and the dent is now completely gone. I don't think this would work so easily on a stock with a different finish.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bridger- The method can work over an oil finish. An oil finish offers little protection from moisture. But Tru Oil is not an oil finish. It is a polyurethane that is carried in oil for easy application.

Pat Ireland

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I've used the cloth/iron method and the dent was lifted but still looked bruised.

13. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

As long the wood dent is not torn wood meaning it has a dent that is so bad that the wood at the edge were torn you can raise the dent with the wet cloth and iron. The finish will look discolored but don't worry it will dry out and look fine.

14. Prescott Gene

Prescott Gene Member

I have used this method and it has worked for me also!

For you homemakers out there, or if you want to impress your better half, this method also works on dents left in carpeting after you move a piece of furniture!

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.