1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dentist question....Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by big joe, Oct 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big joe

big joe Member

I got a card in the mail for a discounted cleaning and exam from a local dentist.

I went in and scheduled an appointment.
    Couple things bothered me.

I last had an exam about 18 months ago from another dentist and everything was OK.

During this cleaning she said that she "was running late" and i would have to come back next week to finish.

Fine i thought but later found out that they want to charge me another cleaning fee for the "second office visit" .

Im already into this for 140 bucks with a half cleaned mouth.
    Should i cut my losses or ???

Also the dentist found about 6000 dollars worth of needed work to be done. Joe

2. locdoc

locdoc Member

Go back to your regular dentist for a "second" opinion.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

3. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

They must be running behind on their mortgage payments.

4. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Friend found a new dentist when his old one looked in his mouth and said "I see a new Cadillac in there". It's a business!

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Why do you think they send out those cards? Not enough "regular" patients. Why? Maybe because they get treated like an ATM. I go to one that isn't the least expensive, but they do it all. Endo to cosmetic.

6. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I never heard of anyone not having the time to complete a routine cleaning. I have never had a dentist do my cleaning either. Always dental hygenist.

One lesson I learned the hard way- find a good dentist by word of mouth and keep them.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I take a trip down to Los Algadones, Mexico (Yuma, Arizona) to see my Dentist because they do better work for about 25% of the cost of having it done locally ... I have recommended many people and not one of them has complained about the quality of work and they all cannot believe the price difference ... The Dentist I go to was schooled and trained in Arizona, just like most of the local Dentists were and her office is bulgeing in the winter when the "Snow Birds" are down here while the local Dentist are sitting there making out those cards like you got in the mail ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

My dentist is a shooter too, I trust him 100%

9. dontate

dontate Member

Go back to your original dentist. All areas of dentistry are subjective to a point but to go from no work needed to 6K indicates you may be over-treated in the name of profit for the new dentist. Why do you think the dentist needs to advertise in the first place? Many new dentists advertise and try to draw patients in with "deals" only to overtreat. I am a general dentist who has practiced for 27 years and I have seen patients given elaborate treatment plans when they needed very little treatment to maintain good oral health. On the flip side make sure you are receiving the treatment that you do need. Maybe another dentist altogether could be a tie-breaker. If you do see a third dentist do not give them any background other than pertinent health information so as to not prejudice their opinion. Best of luck with your treatment, there are many good honest dentists out there. Find one.

10. big joe

big joe Member

Thanks everyone for the responses and especially to Dontate for the "inside scoop"
    You dont live near Seattle do you? We could talk shotguns between novacaine shots and drilling.. (;>)

11. dontate

dontate Member

Hi Joe,
    I am glad you found my infomation helpful. Sorry but I am located in Baltimore. That is a long commute for any dentist! I have taken several courses from a very talented dentist in your area named Dr. Frank Spear. He does alot of major dental restorative cases and probably is out of your price range however you should be able to get a referral from his office. I am sure there are dentists local to you which have taken his courses. I feel if they invest time and money to take his courses they probably would be a good bet for your treatment. As far as my end goes I do have many shooter patients. The only problem is that it is mostly them listening to me since my hands are usually in their mouths. Take care, be sure to floss!

Don Tate

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Find yourself a trapshooting dentist. I found one back in the late seventies and he's still da man. Most trapshooting folks are "straight up."

13. mike b.

mike b. Member

Follow Dontate's suggestions. I was in the profession for 42 years and did many 2nd opinions that resulted from similar treatments needed. Most needed no treatment at that time. It's a shame that individuals in different job titles try to over treat whatever they are estimating. $$$ is probably the prime factor. I always wondered how they sleep at night, but concluded you need a conscience for it to bother you. Ask some friends who have good rapport with their dentist and get your 2nd opinion.

14. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Rhought you all might like to see how Tim Conway did it on the Carol Burnett show. Bill

15. big joe

big joe Member

Update on the tale of the tooth................

Called a new dentist that a good friend has had very good luck with.

His new-patient exam is actually 20 bucks cheaper than the "discount" price from the dentist that sent me the mailer.

They said they can get my xrays from the "discount" guy so that is good....one less fried brain cell (and I need to keep all I can!).

Stay tuned for the Numbing conclusion next week.... :)>)

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.