Trapshooters Forum banner

Dent in wood stock on bt-99

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Perazzi_MX8 
#1 ·
On my Bt-99 I bought, there are 2 little small dings on the bottom of the stock, and was wondering if a person could use a wet paper towel and a hot soldering iron tip to steam out the dents like they taught us in wood shop.

The wood still has the finish on it, so I'm not sure if this will still work. I'm open to any other ideas also that will save from a complete refinish.

Thanks Again
Ron

#7 ·
I have been coming to this site for the past 15 years and I am still amazed by the amount of shooters that think you can remove a dent from a stock with steam.

I work with one of the best gunsmiths in the country and we laugh every time we hear this. Yes, it's true it will raise the dent but never back even with the rest of the wood and without possible damage to the stock finish.

Steam is for ironing clothes, steaming clams and trains. Leave it off the gun fix list. Bernie

#8 ·
Fill the dent with clear acraglas jel so it actually is raised above the surrounding area. You can use a Q-Tip with the cotton end cut off and drop it on the area in a glob. Let it dry over night and then file smooth when it's completely dried. Sand with 600 grit paper on a block until it's down even with the surrounding area of the stock. Do not over do it and make the area worse by going through the finish. Now spray "GUN SAV'R" available from Brownell's on the area. Use gloss or satin depending on the original finish of the stock. Now you have the best job you will ever get, without refinishing the stock. Once it's smooth and shiny again you'll hardly notice it.

Raising dents is not as successful as people think and I found it only works with small imperfections on bare wood before finish is applied and the wood is sealed. Filling it up as described above is what your almost forced to do when you find a small knot hole in a stock your building. Good luck, if you want to go through the process as it will improve the looks. Unless it really bothers you, I would call it character and keep shooting. Look at most "High End" guns on the rack and you see handling marks on most of them. I think Trap Guns are tools, not display guns, and are meant to be used but not abused. My Opinion. Duane

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.