1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DENNYS SHAME ON YOU

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by il shooter, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. il shooter

il shooter Member

It seems that Dennys restaurant is not a friendy gun place .They ask 6 police officers to leave. this was in IL. Will be my last time to eat at there place.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Details if you know them?

Eric

3. TD1958

TD1958 Member

I actually seen it on the news this morning. Officers entered wearing their badges, firearms, etc. and were asked to leave. The department issued a statement telling the department officers they are not permitted to frequent the Denny's while on duty. Tim

4. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I don`t like eating there anyways so that gives me another reason not do spend my money and my names Denny also !!

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Here's the story from the local paper in IL.

"BELLEVILLE • Police here have less than a sunny-side-up view of a local Denny’s.

The Belleville police chief banned his officers from the eatery while on duty after several detectives were told they couldn’t carry their guns in the restaurant, but Denny’s says the incident stemmed from a misunderstanding.

The incident began about 10 a.m. Tuesday when five Belleville detectives went into the Denny’s at 1130 South Illinois Street, ordered food and began to eat. The detectives had badges on their belts or on chains around their necks, but they weren’t in uniform.

Belleville Capt. Donald Sax said restaurant manager David Rice then approached and told one of the detectives that a diner had complained about seeing one of the detectives carrying a gun.

Even though the detective told Rice all at the table were police officers, Rice insisted the detectives take their guns back out to their cars, Sax said.

According to Sax, Rice then told the officers that it is company policy to allow only uniformed officers to carry their guns into a restaurant and that a sign on the door stated that policy.

The officers all got up to leave, refusing to pay for their meal. As they were leaving, Sax said a Denny’s general manager, Michael Van, approached the group. He told them Rice was wrong and it was fine for them to stay and to keep their guns.

The detectives, whom Sax described as “embarrassed” by the incident, decided to leave anyway. Sax said the detectives made a point to check the door on their way out.

“There was no sign on the door (regarding firearms),” Sax said. “They all looked for it.”

Belleville Police Chief William Clay later issued an order to his troops, banning them from eating at that Denny’s when they are on duty or when they’re off duty and still in uniform. Off-duty and out of uniform, officers can eat where they want.

Belleville police also issued a press release, naming the managers and pinning the incident on “political stupidness.”

“This was an insult, a slap in the face to those detectives and to all of the men and women who proudly wear the uniform or badge and serve in law enforcement,” Clay said in the press release.

Of course, officers will still show up if Denny’s calls for some kind of emergency, police said.

The Denny’s managers, Rice and Van, were not available for comment. Corporate spokesperson Liz DiTrapano called the situation “a misunderstanding” and said there is no ban on armed officers.

“Obviously, all law enforcement officers are permitted to carry their firearms in our restaurants,” she said.

Belleville police said they would be following up with Denny’s management about the restaurant’s policies.

At the Belleville restaurant on Wednesday, diners’ views on the incident varied.

John Carrigan, 72, of rural Washington County, Ill., said he understood the concern some diners at Denny’s might have had. “I’d have been scared to see a woman walk in with a gun nowadays with all the shootings,” he said.

But Mike Wieland, 51, of Bluford, Ill., sided with the officers. “The police should be able to carry their weapons everywhere they go,” Wieland said."

6. JT 27

JT 27 Member

Rice is a victim of media paranoria and the education system.

7. revbook

revbook Member

How incredibly stupid! That manager will probably resurface at Dick's.

Don in PA

8. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Denny's always welcomed leo's and we tipped heavy, because they always charged only half for the meals, so we left the balance of the cost of the meal for the server.

Manager did not handle it well, but this is another result of hysteria thanks to the media and people who no longer think.

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I always liked Sambo's better.

Wayne

10. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Denny's always was a piss poor excuse of a restaurant anyway.

11. shadow

shadow Active Member

It wont happen across the Ohio river in Kentucky. Even if they did have a "no guns" sign anyone wth a CCW could legally ignore the damn thing.

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The Denny's on Bell Rd at the Loop 101 here in Arizona always has Police in there, at the shift change there must be 20 Cops in there and the parking lot has squads and motorcycles all over the place ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Why would anyone want to subject themselves to their slop anyway?

14. Rick Barker

Brian

Sometimes, Denny's is the only thing open in a small town at 2 in the morning, in the area. Cops cannot leave their patrol areas and sometimes don't get to finish a meal before they have to answer a call involving two half-wits.

A place like Dennys will ask an officer if they want a table out of the way in a corner, and understand if the cop gets up and runs off before finishing the meal. It was not my favorite place either, but a hot cup of coffee tasted about the same anywhere.

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Brian,

The local Cop's tried getting reservations at one of the finer eating establishments but they couldn't all sit together so they opted for Denny's where their wishes were accomidated ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

This is where I got my look at the situation after seeing it on the local TV news. The officers were all off duty with their badges and guns displayed.

Yet the manager listened to a complaint by a customer about the guns.

Bob Lawless

17. Rick Barker

Just goes to show how people let emotions rule, instead of thinking.

All that security, safest place at any one time at one place, and someone goes off the deep end.

18. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Hey Bill, the Waffle House there is better. They have an all you can eat deal that makes sure you won't shoot good, LOL.

HM

19. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Police are the Police 24/7, they should of found a reason to vacate the place because one of them might of smelled natural gas, then the person who didn't like guns could of stood outside while the area was cleared which could take hours ...

When I was on the Fire Dept. on special detail I stopped in a local restaurant for lunch ... The owner came over and said he pays big taxes for the Fire Dept. to sit in a restaurant and eat rather than be working ... I told him I was working and that he had better get everyone out of the building because I smelled a natural gas leak ... I finished my lunch as I walked around the building trying to find the leak, never did ... His place was closed until the Gas company, Fire Prevention Bureau, and Code Enforcement said it was safe to re enter the building ... I went into that same place many times and was never asked if I was working or not again, and no more comments from the owner either ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Note:

There are some people it just don't pay to mess with and the Police fit into that catagory ... Don't tell yout Cardiologist that you are tapping his wife just before he is going to do open heart surgery on your heart ... The list goes on and on ...

20. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

On the other hand... That's how us Private ccw guys are treated often, feels good don't it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.